My new varmint rifle for 249.99

graycrait

If you guys didn't know this I am telling you how to get budget varmint rifle.  Cabelas sells a blind box (4+1) 26" heavy barrel varmint rifle called the 12FV for 419.99.  Every year during the Black Friday period they offer killer deals on it and have been doing so for about or at least 10yrs.  Savage runs a 100.00 rebate on this rifle every year from BF week through Dec 31.  However, during the BF weekend they put the 12FV on sale so that once you get your rebate I am paying with taxes 249.99.  I have my rifle in hand and it took 7 days from the day I ordered it online to arrive at Cabelas in Bowling Green, KY.  I drove in to Cabelas mid week and was out in 15 minutes.  No background check cost for long gun you buy in KY because KY does not have a state middle man, they go straight to NICS.

Can you get the 12FV Savage from other dealers other than Cabelas?  Yes, sort of,but not with the blind magazine.  Savage markets through other retailers a Model 12FCV, same rifle as the 12FV but has detachable box mag.  (You can convert a blind mag model to detachable mag for a cost, one that I didn't or don't care about, but it is not complicated but you will need the right stock.)  The KEY issue with the 12 FCV is that it cost around 750.00 through Buds, and yes you can get the 100.00 rebate till Dec 31 and get the 12 FCV for around 650.00 minus tax and backhground.

Oddly, the 12 FV is offered in these calibers:  22.250, 223, .204, 308, 6.5 Creedmoor.  http://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAGE-FV-VARMINT-RIFLE/1994604.uts

While the 12FCV only comes in 204, 22-250 and 223.  https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12FCV but costs in my life a buttload of money.

Differences between the 12FV and 12FCV:  http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?44608-Difference-between-12FV-and-12-FCV

Additionally I learned something else.  There is this stuff called Rockite and you can easily and cheaply fill the voids of a plastic stock to add weight and stiffen it up.

If the Savage 10/11/12/16 isn't the 1022 of Centerfires I don't what is.  I read where some fellas were buying multiple copies of the 12FV, some in all calibers, while others just for the barrels or some  just for the actions.

Dolomite is the expert on this forum as far as I know on tuning a Savage bolt gun.  

For those who think the Savage 12FV is too "cheap" an action and still wants to switch barrels my bench rest buddies say try this action:  https://www.kelbly.com/actions-aluminum-panda.html

I've got 2 of the FV12's (204 & 223), call 'em them twins as they are dressed identical except for the stamping/marks on the barrel for caliber.  Both are shooters, 1/2" groups or less are the norm with factory ammo or handloads.  Lots of complaints about the tupperware stock, but I can still get 1/2" groups so I've not changed 'em out.  Lots of people buy 'em for the actions, change out the barrel for a high $$ one, better stock and get good results.  Some never fire 'em in stock configuration.  I got mine for $219 each mid 2016.  

• Admin Team

Savage bolt guns may be the most underrated value in the market today. 

You might find somethings close in price here and there. But nowhere will you find such consistent shooters straight out of the box at anywhere near that price. 

Check the firing pin protrusion. That is the only thing that tends to need tweaking to squeeze the last bit of accuracy out of the gun. .035" is about perfect but no more than . 042". Most are typically over .050". 

Also, make sure to give the barrel a good scru then never clean it again until accuracy starts to fall off. Depending on the barrel it could take a few hundred rounds before it settles down and really starts shooting well. It will not shoot its best right off the bat.

My best shooting Savage, with a factory barrel, shot ~3/4" after I gave it a good cleaning. At about the 600 round mark since the last cleaning it was shooting .3's at 100 yards using handloads. 

Make sure you can slide a dollar bill between the stock and barrel the majority of the way back. Check will the forearm is resting on the bag. If you are using a bipod be aware it can cause accuracy problems because of harmonics. I STRONGLY recommend using a good bag over a bipod.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2017 at 7:19 PM, Climber said:

Hey man,

Just saw you are from Winnsboro. Me too! I always say Monroe area because no one has heard of the Boro. What year did you graduate? I was class of '91 Chris Lewis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I can't remember if I answered this or not. I was contracted to appraise all the airplanes of a Tennessee university some time back and have been under pressure ever since.

I go back to Winnsboro when I can. I still have cousins that live there. My graduating class would have been 1959. I'm an old guy! We were the "Winnsboro Wildcats" when I went to WHS. I always ask if folks from Winnsboro have any pics of the area on their computer. If you do, I'll give you my email address.

• 4 months later...

My single shot Savage 12FV .223 w/Boyds AT One stock, 8-32 Japan Tasco on top. I removed the internal mag, inserted a dense closed cell foam block in the stock where the mag goes and installed Sharp Shooters Supply single shot tray. Them 200yrd saltine crackers better look out.  That AT-One stock bolted right up no issues.  Plinker4life had the right trigger guard for the stock although I could have done some grinding on the OEM trigger guard to make it fit

Image may contain: outdoor