Netflix series

gregintenn

I'll toss in Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Defenders, as well if you like comic books, or the feel of Daredevil or The Punisher.(Iron Fist was kinda a flop IMHO)

The first three seasons of Gotham are on there, as well.

Also on Amazon via prime, I've enjoyed The Grand Tour, The Marvelous Mrs. Maizel, and The Man in the High Castle.

I can't make it past 1/2 way on the first episode of Godless. I keep reading about how everyone likes it but neither my wife or I do, at least yet. I suppose we will try again soon.

I've heard good things about The Throne but haven't looked at it yet. Being semi-old farts we enjoy binge watching series we enjoyed from the past...

It is about time to order HBO for 30 days to watch the last season of Game of Thrones.

8 hours ago, 2.ooohhh said:

I'll toss in Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Defenders, as well if you like comic books, or the feel of Daredevil or The Punisher.(Iron Fist was kinda a flop IMHO)

The first three seasons of Gotham are on there, as well.

Also on Amazon via prime, I've enjoyed The Grand Tour, The Marvelous Mrs. Maizel, and The Man in the High Castle.

Second for The Man in the High Castle. I really have enjoyed it.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, martin5 said:

I liked Longmire. Wish it hadn't ended.

:cry:Also. I caught the series in the beginning and just loved it. Have you read Craig Johnson's Longmire books? They are really, really good. I've bought them all and am waiting for the next one to come out.

The last one, The Western Star, is a sort of flashback story telling the beginning of Walt's career. It's a bit darker than previous books, and has a bit of a tv style ending...a clifferhanger for the next book.

Ozark and Godless.  Give Godless a few episodes before you give up.  Not to give anything away, but a LOT of lead thrown during the final episode.  Did I mention A LOT!

I just started Frontier which seems promising, but can't provide a recommendation yet.  For news you may or may not can use.......An Indian actress who appeared in Longmire and Godless is also in Frontier.  

4 hours ago, martin5 said:

I might have to check out those books by Criag Johnson. I think they should have used Peter Weller more on Longmire. Lucian put a little excitement into the show.

As a longtime Peter Weller fan...I agree. Lucian was a great character, and added a lot to the history and development of Walt. You'll see a bit more of him in Johnson's books though.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, hipower said:

As a longtime Peter Weller fan...I agree. Lucian was a great character, and added a lot to the history and development of Walt. You'll see a bit more of him in Johnson's books though.

Are the books different than the show? I like the show and was hoping the books were different stories and not just each episode in book form.

3 hours ago, jwinter said:

Are the books different than the show? I like the show and was hoping the books were different stories and not just each episode in book form.

The basic story of the show, i.e., the characters and the location are the same, and you can see that some of the episode scripts were taken from the novels; but there is much, much more depth to the books. Backgrounds on the characters, subplots, and just plain more Walt than the series was able to provide.

Many similarities between them, but each can stand alone and be very enjoyable.

If you think Walt is a tightly laced, straight arrow from the series, and liked him...you will love the books.

• Like 1

I stumbled on the punisher and watched the entire thing in a few days, does anyone know if it is a one season flash in the pan kind of a deal? I really liked and would want for more, also waiting for the spin off from Sons of Anarchy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, hipower said:

The basic story of the show, i.e., the characters and the location are the same, and you can see that some of the episode scripts were taken from the novels; but there is much, much more depth to the books. Backgrounds on the characters, subplots, and just plain more Walt than the series was able to provide.

Many similarities between them, but each can stand alone and be very enjoyable.

If you think Walt is a tightly laced, straight arrow from the series, and liked him...you will love the books.

One problem with the books -- many and massive technical errors about firearms.  In the first book, a major clue to solving a case relies on the author's misunderstanding the difference between rifled and smoothbore barrels, and the claim that Glaser made their famous Safety Slug in .50 caliber (they didn't).  There's also the usual lesser errors made by authors who write about guns they have never handled -such as confusing J-frame S&Ws with the Colts.   It was annoying enough to me that I quit reading after the second book.  YMMV.

34 minutes ago, Whisper said:

One problem with the books -- many and massive technical errors about firearms.  In the first book, a major clue to solving a case relies on the author's misunderstanding the difference between rifled and smoothbore barrels, and the claim that Glaser made their famous Safety Slug in .50 caliber (they didn't).  There's also the usual lesser errors made by authors who write about guns they have never handled -such as confusing J-frame S&Ws with the Colts.   It was annoying enough to me that I quit reading after the second book.  YMMV.

Yes, I've noted several things like that; but found the characters so intriguing that I just glossed over it.

I figure if I could stomach the goofball stuff in TWD, I could overlook inconsistences in something I actually liked.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Ron Padilla said:

I stumbled on the punisher and watched the entire thing in a few days, does anyone know if it is a one season flash in the pan kind of a deal? I really liked and would want for more, also waiting for the spin off from Sons of Anarchy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Punisher was renewed for another season just a few days ago. http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/marvels-the-punisher-renewed-season-2-netflix-1202638143/