Looks like I've been outvoted by the family and must take them to see the Christmas lights tonight. Has anyone been recently? Will I need to leave it in the car or get sent back to the car? Haven't had to go to Dollywood in several years so I was just curious if they have gotten stricter.

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

So is the place posted or what?

It is posted.  They *do* wand, sometimes more aggressively than others.  Experienced a few times in 2017.  The less the crowd in line, the more likely to be wanded.  It is ultimate security kabuki.

1 hour ago, R_Bert said:

It is posted.  They *do* wand, sometimes more aggressively than others.  Experienced a few times in 2017.  The less the crowd in line, the more likely to be wanded.  It is ultimate security kabuki.

Gotcha.  So it’s a no carry zone some folks might carry in anyway.

20 hours ago, BrasilNuts said:

Looking through bags for weapons is secondary, the primary purpose is to look for food you’re bringing in for your kids.  I may be wrong about the wands...might have been another local.

You'd think that would be true but it's not. We bring food in every time and they don't blink twice when they see it. This season we've been 10 times and I haven't seen them wand a single person. It would be harder to steal candy from a baby than to carry concealed past their guards. I did have a guard see my knife clip and annoying measure the blade because I don't think they allow over 4" knives (though, it's only posted against guns, but that's not even a legal posting.) I just slip the knife in my pocket  until I am past security and have never been asked again about it. I have noticed that if you go to a line staffer by the older security guards, they tend to do a less through job of searching. For example, we went Friday and I was pushing a double baby stroller that had stuff in the bottom. They've always stopped us before to just quickly peak. The guy didn't even look at me and let me walk right by. It's security theater for sure. But they do have quite a few armed guards walking around the park (probably 5 or 6) and I normally see one every 20 mins or less.

I have also noticed the old guys at multiple theme parks being less thorough, and some real young screeners being overly cautious.  The wise old men know that poking a stick through a bag isn't really going to keep out weapons if someone wanted to carry one into the park.

When we went to Dollywood last summer, they just did the bag searches and no metal detecting.  Even if they had metal detectors, I could have smuggled a weapon in our stroller.  I would truly never do that, but a jihadist certainly would.

I was told that I had to remove food from my bag this summer.  I bought a box of individual wrapped peanut butter crackers and was told I could only have one pack for member of my group.  I just turned around with my son and dumped some in his bag and went through a different line.

They check bags at the entrance after you have a ticket.  Checked my Fanny Pack and asked about pocket knives. I showed my pocket knife (it's OK), gun was at home. 

Guns are not allowed. You want to hide one and take a chance -- your business. I am not taking the chance (trespassing or whatever the charge might be). 

Neighbor works parking Lot (tickets) -- they allow folks with weapons in car to park near the ticket booths to keep an eye on your car.

Snacks (cereal bars, crackers. etc. - another story - keep it in a coat or pant pocket).  

On 12/18/2017 at 2:31 PM, PAULSHOOT said:

....You want to hide one and take a chance -- your business. I am not taking the chance (trespassing or whatever the charge might be). 

The charge would be violation of the signage statute, 39-17-1359. 'Course you'd have to wait around for an actual LEO to arrest you for it if there's not one there at the entrance (and decent chance he'd just tell you to leave and stash the pistol in the car and even let you come back in if you weren't a snot about it).

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2017 at 10:44 PM, bersaguy said:

Last time I was up there was with my wife in 1996 and we spent a long weekend  up there.....:cheers:

last time i was there was in 2001 with my wife and, exactly as you, spent a long weekend up there, LOL :D

58 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

The last time I was there, I told my wife there'd be a divorce before I ever went there again. I friggin hate that place!!!!!!!

You guys would love Holiday World.

"I told my wife"....   I understand.  .......and my wife would take up the offer... and it ain't worth the hassle. I'm old enough that I very much like serenity over drama and legal fees.  So, I reckon it's easier to grumble about Dollyweed once a year or so, and maybe play cat & mouse with them when able.  

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 1

Well, it was not my idea to go to Dollywood but my wife wanted to go and I had a surprise planned for her and I was kind of making it her weekend to pick the places we went and I just agreed so we went. The plan I had was a dream come true for her and after doing Dollywood on Friday we just walked through Gatlinburg looking at the stores and shops. A buddy of mine that owned  Charlet in Gatlinburg had given me the keys to it for the entire weekend. On Satuday morning she woke up to breakfast in bed and under her napkin was two tickets to the opening game of Tennessee season that year. I was standing just out side the bedroom door when she found them and I would guess about everyone on that mountain top heard her screams when she found the tickets. She was a  rabid Tennesse fan and our house looked like a concession stand at a Tennessee game. At Dollywood she was decked out in orange and white tennessee clothes. The guy that owned the Charlet had season tickets every year in box seating as he is an alumni of Tennessee University and he let me use his tickets. I'm sure glad I took her cause it was probably the best thing I could have done to fill her dreams cause I lost her in October 97.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2