Rabbit hunting on WMA's

Iv recently moved to the Nashville area, and was wondering what rabbit hunting is like on public lands in middle Tn? (Cheatham or percy priest). I grew up rabbit, fox and roo hunting back home but its a little different, there we can hunt at night with spotlights from the back of the truck, no limits, no seasons, no permits or licenses! picking off bunnies with the .22 at will! ;) 

Cheers for any info or pointers!

Back many moons ago I use to do some bunny hunting on Cheatham WMA but don't know what it would be like these days since the Coyotes have about taken over the WMA's and killed off many of the rabbits but might be worth a trip down and hunt the Goatie Fields on the Reserve.

1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

Back many moons ago I use to do some bunny hunting on Cheatham WMA but don't know what it would be like these days since the Coyotes have about taken over the WMA's and killed off many of the rabbits but might be worth a trip down and hunt the Goatie Fields on the Reserve.

Thanks mate. Go figure there would be none out there... cause I see them all over my neighborhood! What and where is "the goatie fields on the reserve"? 

Thanks again. 

15 hours ago, Aussie_in_Tn said:

Thanks mate. Go figure there would be none out there... cause I see them all over my neighborhood! What and where is "the goatie fields on the reserve"? 

Thanks again. 

In a small community called Cotton Town that borders the WMA. 

19 minutes ago, Aussie_in_Tn said:

Cottontown in Sumner County ?

No, it's a small community that lays at to southern side of the Cheatham WMA. You will probably have to ask for directions from the locals down there at one of the country stores. You can probably ask the local game warden that lives on the reserve and he can tell you were they are.

1 hour ago, Aussie_in_Tn said:

Cheers mate.Thanks for the pointers! Merry Christmas.

I see you live in Bellevue and have a lot of Rabbits whee you live.. I also have a bunch where I live also which is in town were Coyotes don't live. I actually feed them in winter here in my yards. I buy Rabbit pellets at Co-op and put them around my out buildings during the day and they come out at night and feed on them. I live in town and it's against the law to fire a gun here. I have had friends tell me to get a Pellet gun and pop them but I don't see much sport in that and I don't need food. If I needed food I would have plenty of it around my house. I have Squirrels that come to five feeders, I have doves that come and feed on food I put on the ground for them and I have rabbits that live in a fence row in back of my house and also under my out buildings. I use to enjoy rabbit hunting more to hear the beagles run than the actual shooting the rabbits. 

50 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I see you live in Bellevue and have a lot of Rabbits whee you live.. I also have a bunch where I live also which is in town were Coyotes don't live. I actually feed them in winter here in my yards. I buy Rabbit pellets at Co-op and put them around my out buildings during the day and they come out at night and feed on them. I live in town and it's against the law to fire a gun here. I have had friends tell me to get a Pellet gun and pop them but I don't see much sport in that and I don't need food. If I needed food I would have plenty of it around my house. I have Squirrels that come to five feeders, I have doves that come and feed on food I put on the ground for them and I have rabbits that live in a fence row in back of my house and also under my out buildings. I use to enjoy rabbit hunting more to hear the beagles run than the actual shooting the rabbits. 

There are rabbits all over my neighborhood, especially in the spring. I have never heard coyotes at night or day for that matter. However my neighbor told me just a few weeks ago he saw one walking down the sidewalk! Cheeky bastard. My house backs up onto woods, so Id assume, if there were coyotes out there Id be able to here them at night. Where I used to live in Washington State where you could hear them howling all night.

Sitting on my deck with an air riffle isn't my idea of hunting and definitely not my idea of being outdoors, which in my opinion is the funnest part of hunting.

32 minutes ago, Aussie_in_Tn said:

There are rabbits all over my neighborhood, especially in the spring. I have never heard coyotes at night or day for that matter. However my neighbor told me just a few weeks ago he saw one walking down the sidewalk! Cheeky bastard. My house backs up onto woods, so Id assume, if there were coyotes out there Id be able to here them at night. Where I used to live in Washington State where you could hear them howling all night.

Sitting on my deck with an air riffle isn't my idea of hunting and definitely not my idea of being outdoors, which in my opinion is the funnest part of hunting.

Aussie,

There are several of us members who live in Bellevue. There are a lot of coyotes around Bellevue. I see them fairly regularly around our neighborhood off of Poplar Creek. 

2 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

Aussie,

There are several of us members who live in Bellevue. There are a lot of coyotes around Bellevue. I see them fairly regularly around our neighborhood off of Poplar Creek. 

I live right by the intersection at Charlotte Pike and Sawyer Brown Rd. Its a pretty wooded area and Im sure they are back there somewhere!

4 hours ago, Aussie_in_Tn said:

I have heard of Coyotes taking small house dogs from peoples back yards in town around Nashville. If one tries to get my dog Darby It is going to be 1 time I will be shooting a fire arm inside the city here. I won't tolerate a Coyote trying to hurt or kill my dog.

• Like 1
That I am not sure about. You would have to ask the warden about that.

Ok great. Thanks for all the helpful tips lads. Keen to get out there once deer season finishes up and see what I can run across. Even if I don't see a single bunny, I'd still be out in the woods!
Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk