Bright on Netflix

Murgatroy

I am a full on Fantasy Nerd. My daughter is named after a deity in a dice chucking setting. Takhisis if you must know, I have said it before.

Bright is a new Will Smith film (I like Will Smith) that puts him as a cop partnered with an Orc as a 'diversity' hire. The film takes the entire setting for granted, if you watch it you just have to accept that Orcs are criminals and Elves rule the world. That is a plus for me. I don't want to spend an hour having the world explained to me when the film just rolls with it. The racial overtones are obvious, but done within taste and reason. Elves>Humans>Orcs>Faeries. 

It sucks as a buddy cop movie, it sucks as a fantasy movie, but if you watch it as a movie, it is pretty good and I really hope that the trilogy they are hoping to start goes forward.

"Faerie lives don't matter today." 

6 hours ago, C.lunn said:

I enjoyed it too. I noticed the racial overtone too, but agree it was done tastefully. Looking forward to the next. Most audience reviews are high and rotten tomatoes are extremely low. 

Yeah, the critics are butchering it. I can see why though, it was predictable and left a lot to the audience to decipher. I kinda liked that part of it. If they had spent five hours telling up about who was related to who and why the Dark Lord wanted that ring back... Oops, my bad, wrong Orc movie. The special effects were good and the acting wasn't terrible. The setting was I liked the most though.

I have also found that I rarely agree with critics. I mean, they take themselves too serious, and in the end they are just pretentious and baseless in their reviews. Some of the worst and most boring films I have seen have been "critically acclaimed."

• Like 1