Need advice

Ok, I am finding it difficult to open knives these days but need to use one fairly frequently. My Parkinson's makes it hard if not risky to open traditional knives. Assisted open is a little better but not great. 

I am thinking of going with an end open auto open and close style. Most of these look like toys and junk. Don't want to break the bank but looking for suggestions. 

Thoughts?

23 minutes ago, n0rlf said:

Ok, I am finding it difficult to open knives these days but need to use one fairly frequently. My Parkinson's makes it hard if not risky to open traditional knives. Assisted open is a little better but not great. 

I am thinking of going with an end open auto open and close style. Most of these look like toys and junk. Don't want to break the bank but looking for suggestions. 

Thoughts?

When looking for an out the front (OTF) knife stay away from the cheap stuff. Junk is junk you get what you pay for.

I've had good luck with microtek, Hogue, and benchmark. It's going to cost you 250-300 for a good one, but it will be a one time purchase.

The carpet knife may be a good answer, also try a spyderco if possible. The large thumb hole is easier to grab as a two handed opener, and if you have the dexterity they are some of the easiest to open.

Another option is a small fixed blade like a neck knife. The easiest knife to open is the one you don't have to...

• Like 1

I like my Benchmade. Have had a couple for years. I want to stay away from the junk as I hate cheap stuff. I was considering an esse izulu as both my sons have them and I like them. Might be a good answer. Still struggling with something I can rely on and use one handed. 

Handling very sharp knives while shaking is not a great idea. :cry:

It is not just about opening. Closing can be just as tough as opening of not worse sometimes. 

32 minutes ago, n0rlf said:

Handling very sharp knives while shaking is not a great idea. :cry:

It is not just about opening. Closing can be just as tough as opening of not worse sometimes. 

Do not take this wrong, do you really need a knife every day? What about a short fixed blade? No opening or closing.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, nightrunner said:

How do you feel about the side opening automatics? Buck makes at least one model with a push button auto mechanism.

I second the small fixed blade idea as well. The Izula would be perfect if a fixed blade would work for you.

The side opens are fine for open but closing can be an issue. I am thinking the fix blade is the best way to go now. I wanted something to drop in my pocket but the Izula is just about right for belt carry yet could still drop in a pocket. 

I find myself using my knife a lot to help with things that are just too hard to do. Fine work is tough but having a blade to help is a big plus. Kind of hard to explain but I can use two handf to steady it and it works. 

I'll second the Esee, I use mine everyday. I carry a 3 now and The sheath they come with are tight, I find myself using two hands just to make sure I don't cut my shirt or self :)

But I do carry it on my off hand side. There are some fine craftsman around here and I had one of them make me a leather sheath for my Esee-4. It is absolutely fantastic. That is a one handed operation. I recommend that route for any knife you decide to carry. It's hard to beat the quality and value of an Esee as well as the skills of some of our craftsman. 

Edited by Ugly

My wife has a 4 and a 6 and my sons have the Izula and the 5   I use a Kabar 9.  

I agree on the sheath being right but after some use it did get better. I am going to use one of their Izulas for a bit and try it. I like the feel of them and they seem easier for me to handle at times. Only concern is weight. They are so light it does not Dampen the tremors as much. Something heavier seems to lessen the impact of the shaking a little. 

So I may make a set of scales for it that has a heavy insert to help. Lot to ponder. I do want to get it done before the shakes get worse so I guess I will start on the scales. 

It would be shameful to use either of those artists blades for my everyday stuff. Lol

I love their blades. True beauty just a little much for my everyday use. 

I am going to be working with one of them though on a different project. Stand by for the unveiling hopefully soon!

1 hour ago, n0rlf said:

It would be shameful to use either of those artists blades for my everyday stuff. Lol

I love their blades. True beauty just a little much for my everyday use. 

Nonsense. Knives were meant to be used, guns were meant to be fired, cars were meant to be driven. Get something nice. You've earned it. 

I agree. Just do not want to break or ruin a blade. If i mess up a 50 buck Izula I won't cry. If I mess up a pice of art I will. 

And I think the Izula will fit the bill without coating much. Gives me more to spend on a beautiful knife. 

1 minute ago, n0rlf said:

I agree. Just do not want to break or ruin a blade. If i mess up a 50 buck Izula I won't cry. If I mess up a pice of art I will. 

And I think the Izula will fit the bill without coating much. Gives me more to spend on a beautiful knife. 

That's the beauty of a GT or Sybo knife... you can't break it.