Ruger’s New Pistol Caliber Carbine (9mm)

xsubsailor

1 hour ago, TGO David said:

If they make a kit to use large Glock mags (.45ACP, 10mm) or chamber it in 357SIG, I will be all over it.  I already have the 9mm "pistol" angle covered with my MPX.

You are indeed well covered David! :up:

I think the Ruger Carbine would make a decent "truck gun" (whatever that means to someone), a handy short range varmint or pest control gun, maybe even a handy house gun as Ruger's are generally catered to in the aftermarket sector as mentioned.

I think they could shine pretty well for a handloader too. We've worked up some accurate and nice shooting 160 gr 9mm loads, have run some 130's at 1300 fps in Glock 9mm's. I believe some pretty decent heavier 9mm rounds could be worked up for it using new brass and a relatively warm charge... And with a 33 rd "Happy Stick"? Yeah, I could have some fun. ;)

On one level I regret selling a 9mm Camp Carbine I had many years back. But the money went to training classes so the regret isn't that great.

This is an interesting revamp / redesign of their discontinued PC-9 / PC-40. I’ve almost bought a PC-9 several times, but discontinued = “RARE AND VALUABLE!” so they were always overpriced.  I think I’ll have to get one to go with my SR9c. 

On 12/30/2017 at 6:03 PM, BryanP said:

This is an interesting revamp / redesign of their discontinued PC-9 / PC-40. I’ve almost bought a PC-9 several times, but discontinued = “RARE AND VALUABLE!” so they were always overpriced.  I think I’ll have to get one to go with my SR9c. 

I'm kinda in the same camp. Been looking for a carbine to keep in the trunk, this might just be it. 

On 12/28/2017 at 9:35 PM, RED333 said:

Nope I like mine

40 S&W rifle.jpg

Apologies for my ignorance, sir... the pictured item is an AR-9 of some flavor or another?  And I am curious about that foregrip... is it fixed, or removable or....?

The idea of dual using a caliber does have appeal, from a logistics point of view. I am not certain, though, if 9mm is that caliber.   It isn't a new thought.

On 1/3/2018 at 1:25 PM, xtriggerman said:

I'm fixed OK for 9's but that would be a nice convertible set up with a 22 TCM barrel & recoil spring.    Now if I can only figure a way to get those 72 rd Sumoi drums in a.........

ks2muEi.jpg

You just love building weird things don't you. Fal, Soumi, AK, and what else in that one?

On 1/3/2018 at 10:00 AM, xjsnake said:

I'm kinda in the same camp. Been looking for a carbine to keep in the trunk, this might just be it. 

Good to see you're still among the land of the living xj, where have you been?

I told my shooting buddy I thought I wanted a PC9.  He, who has owned a Camp 9, said, "why would you want a rifle that can't do "rifle stuff?"  Then we got to discussing some of the info Dolomite told me about ARs some years ago.  I lost my desire for a Camp 9, but then got my juices up again for an AR 15 with JP Silent Recoil system with adjustable gas block.   The only firearm of the many I have let go that I regret is the Colt HBAR that I had with Dolomite's JP-like silent recoil system, adjustable gas block, 10x mildot scope and steel stock. I would be king of the 2" saltine 200yrd cracker shoots with that rig.  Just didn't have the brains or foresight to know what I had 6 or 7 yrs ago.

Edited by graycrait
8 hours ago, gjohnsoniv said:

You just love building weird things don't you. Fal, Soumi, AK, and what else in that one?

Well, if you gotta know..... there's a AR15 hammer in there running things. You see the MPA folks that originally built it as a MPA 971 wanted to use a straight up FAL FCG. But the FAL hammer was only functional under the Cobray M11 upper if the FAL lower was mounted way off center to the upper. So much so that MPA couldn't use the terribly off center rear FAL sight with a front barrel sight. An AR hammer corrects that major down fall of the original design. I also shaved a crap load of useless steel (& using alloy lower) off the unit taking it from 13.5 lbs to 10.25 lbs as you see it with an empty mag. What makes this a plausible unit is the super HD drum mags. Clearly, there is no better made hi cap drum mag than these Sumoi units and at a bargain price. When I use to work at Auto Ordinance, they used to sell 39 rd Tommy drums for stupid money and they in fact were Jap made "Toy" drums for non firing replicas. You can tell those by the cheap bent tab cartridge pushers. Pure garbage but they did actually work as long as they weren't over wound.  Nothing more fun than building a one of a kind!

Edited by xtriggerman
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, xtriggerman said:

Well, if you gotta know..... there's a AR15 hammer in there running things. You see the MPA folks that originally built it as a MPA 971 wanted to use a straight up FAL FCG. But the FAL hammer was only functional under the Cobray M11 upper if the FAL lower was mounted way off center to the upper. So much so that MPA couldn't use the terribly off center rear FAL sight with a front barrel sight. An AR hammer corrects that major down fall of the original design. I also shaved a crap load of useless steel (& using alloy lower) off the unit taking it from 13.5 lbs to 10.25 lbs as you see it with an empty mag. What makes this a plausible unit is the super HD drum mags. Clearly, there is no better made hi cap drum mag than these Sumoi units and at a bargain price. When I use to work at Auto Ordinance, they used to sell 39 rd Tommy drums for stupid money and they in fact were Jap made "Toy" drums for non firing replicas. You can tell those by the cheap bent tab cartridge pushers. Pure garbage but they did actually work as long as they weren't over wound.  Nothing more fun than building a one of a kind!

Somehow I'm really not surprised to hear MPA was involved with that, but it's a unique one none the less.  Wish I had snagged more the Suomi drums and mags when they were really cheap a couple years back when I built the three.

• 3 weeks later...