New Ruger pistol, Security 9

Steelharp

18 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I have a Ruger 1911. I'm not sure I understand your point?

The 1911 is a 100 year old platform, with at best only minor changes during that time.  Therefore, anybody who likes 1911's while decrying the lack of innovation among firearms manufacturers is bordering on hypocrisy ...

BTW, I  really like 100 year old guns ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, No_0ne said:

The 1911 is a 100 year old platform, with at best only minor changes during that time.  Therefore, anybody who likes 1911's while decrying the lack of innovation among firearms manufacturers is bordering on hypocrisy ...

BTW, I  really like 100 year old guns ...

Fair enough. I think one can appreciate the 1911 while encouraging innovation.

12 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

Just dry fire. It feels great in the hand, and the trigger is really nice. Size of a G19. Sights are the bucket and ball, like a Glock, but the thinner line, like a Gen 5.

Is it 2018’s first Glock killer?  :lol:

2 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

Handled one today. Slide feels good when charging the pistol and trigger is really nice but it has a magazine disconnect which I do not like.

I'll have to look. I thought it said capable of firing without magazine.

2 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

Handled one today. Slide feels good when charging the pistol and trigger is really nice but it has a magazine disconnect which I do not like.

?? Not mentioned in specs. Manual shows firing single shot with no magazine, "TO LOAD AND FIRE (WITHOUT MAGAZINE)" page 16-17:

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/security9.pdf

"So that the pistol can be used as a single loader, it will fire whether or not a magazine is in the gun if a cartridge is chambered."

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
34 minutes ago, DWARREN123 said:

Well the one handle would not fire without the magazine and the salesman said yes it had a magazine disconnector. Guns & Leather @ Greenbrier.

Sure you didn't have the new EC9s in your hand, right?

- OS

I got to handle 2 different Security 9's today at two different gun shops. I am very surprised and like it way better than I thought. It is way more simpler in design than the Ruger American Pistol. Both shops had them for $329 . At that price I am excited and willing to wait a few months to see if recalls or problems will crop up. If none then I'll probably get one. This pistol , in my opinion will definitely be a hit if it performs reliably. The trigger reset was a bit long but for a $329 gun and a great customer service like Ruger has , its worth it . I did see the small rectangular hammer when I dry fired it. I don't like manual safeties but I could ignore the one on this gun. It will fire with no mag so that's a plus.  I hope all turns out very reliably for it. I took a chance on the new Beretta APX last year and it turned out to be an extremely reliable and fun pistol. I sure hope this Security 9 ends up the same way. If so the in 2 months I may grab one.

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 1
On 12/29/2017 at 10:32 AM, gregintenn said:

Ruger ain't scared of ugly are they?

If you want pretty, marry a good looking lady, that never gets a headache, and will bring you a beer once in a while. Have you ever heard of a Ruger that didn't work?

36 minutes ago, Ray Z said:

Have you ever heard of a Ruger that didn't work?

I had a Mini 14 that consistently jammed.  Sent back to Ruger three times.  They replaced it the third time.  They refunded the full purchase price when that one jammed.  

I still carry an LC9 daily, although it has been sent back a few times.