M P 2.0 9C

pop pop

Purchased a 2.0 9C this morning(469.00) at local gun store(Splty Arms, Laverne). Grandson was with me and we just came in from putting several rounds through it, in my back yard. Found the mag springs stiff, but loadable (15+1). The gun is easier for me to hit with than the Glocks.

How many rounds should I run through it to determine if it is trustworthy? Also what ammo do you guys recommend? Been using DPX in EDC, but don't have any in 9 MM.

Grandson (13) shot it well also. He has medium size hands, as do I. He has a 22lr which is a lot like this gun in design. I will say my initial thoughts are pleasing. I believe it will work for me.

I just picked one up too. For me the rule is 100 rounds of ball to start, a good clean & lube, then 50 rounds of my carry ammo. If everything is then 100% I'll load up and carry after a cleaning. Then I will shoot 2 mags of my carry ammo a month for a couple of months. To me it's just as important to see how the gun works from my carry gear after being carried full of lint etc. The only way to do that is to carry it then shoot it as carried. A few cycles like this gives me confidence, and is motivation to practice.

Interestingly I have seen plenty of tight tolerance 1911s that won't pass this test. They'll run when clean, but the daily grime of carry can cause malfunctions. I've also seen plenty of other 1911's that will pass this test. That's what taught me to do it...

Nice choice by the way. I really like mine.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Sidecarist said:

I just picked one up too. For me the rule is 100 rounds of ball to start, a good clean & lube, then 50 rounds of my carry ammo. If everything is then 100% I'll load up and carry after a cleaning. Then I will shoot 2 mags of my carry ammo a month for a couple of months. To me it's just as important to see how the gun works from my carry gear after being carried full of lint etc. The only way to do that is to carry it then shoot it as carried. A few cycles like this gives me confidence, and is motivation to practice.

Interestingly I have seen plenty of tight tolerance 1911s that won't pass this test. They'll run when clean, but the daily grime of carry can cause malfunctions. I've also seen plenty of other 1911's that will pass this test. That's what taught me to do it...

Nice choice by the way. I really like mine.

Therein lies the problem.  Tight 1911s are finicky by nature.  The original military spec for the 1911 was loose enough that you were to be able to disassemble a myriad of them, mix up the parts, and reassemble them with no problem and a perfectly functioning gun afterward.  When folks started hand-fitting them for the tightest tolerances possible in the pursuit of microns of improvement in accuracy, they invited Murphy's Law into the equation.

Modern service pistols aren't as persnickety as tight-tolerance 1911s.  A few mags of ammo through them is all you should need to satisfy your own superstitions.  Honestly, if a modern service pistol doesn't choke in the first mag or two, you should be good to go.

• Like 1

I picked on 1911's only because that's a very common example. Tight anything won't run full of lint and daily dirt from carry. Even reliable weapons need to be inspected regularly. I once found the remains of what I think was a brown m&m blocking the hammer on a high power that wouldn't fire. The customer couldn't believe it. It took me 30 seconds to find, he never even looked! He also hadn't shot the gun in 6 months.

I haven't had a good quality modern gun choke on me in a long time. Feed them well and give them a little love... After all your life may depend on it!

• Like 1

Mechanically, a few mags is sound to know if you've got one that needs to go back to the factory or not. 

Realistically, if I'm at the range, a box of 50-100 rounds is pretty much guaranteed to take advantage of the time spent on the trip there and just get a good feel for the new gun.

Ideal, the more rounds for proficiency the better before I'm carrying it with the potential to use it in a life or death situation.  I've only ever carried three different pistols for self-defense, and I tend to wear grooves into muscle memory.  So, on the rare occasion I change it up, I want to make sure I'm committed to the change in all respects if that makes sense.

5 hours ago, btq96r said:

Mechanically, a few mags is sound to know if you've got one that needs to go back to the factory or not. 

Realistically, if I'm at the range, a box of 50-100 rounds is pretty much guaranteed to take advantage of the time spent on the trip there and just get a good feel for the new gun.

Ideal, the more rounds for proficiency the better before I'm carrying it with the potential to use it in a life or death situation.  I've only ever carried three different pistols for self-defense, and I tend to wear grooves into muscle memory.  So, on the rare occasion I change it up, I want to make sure I'm committed to the change in all respects if that makes sense.

This is a solid thought process imho.

I've carried Glocks (19 or 17) for a long time. But when I picked up my 9mm Shield (prior to Glock finally releasing the 43) I ran about 750-1000 rounds of ball through it, and 100 rounds of several different SD rounds through it before I felt comfortable carrying it for the reason btq mentions. The majority of those rounds were in various "Drills" such as TG's FAST Test, Bill Drill, Dot Torture and such, strong hand and non-dominate hand, as much to determine my capability with the gun as it's functionality. I still carry my 19 the majority of the time, but maintain familiarization with the Shield for it's niche applications.

Sidecarist makes some good points as well. Lint, dust, and general grime certainly play into reliability. A little lube and spring maintenance can go a long way in keeping one up and running smooth. And changing out those recycled (repeated chambering of SD rounds) is a prudent thing to do I've seen quite a few quality manufactured SD rounds setback from this action.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Sidecarist said:

Haven't had a good quality modern gun choke on me in a long time. Feed them well and give them a little love... After all your life may depend on it!

Very well said, sir! In many cases, some of us get to the point of neglecting good care of our firearms, especially carry guns. I know that seems crazy, but relating it to me.

I've found that I had a tendency to drop my carry piece into my change drawer when arriving home. It would sometimes go a great deal of time before cleaning. Usually when I'd notice the pocket lint collecting on it.

Don't be me! Don't do that!

I have not purchased a new gun in sometime but same can be said about the guns you have been packing for sometime also. I realized just reading this post that it has been a little longer than normal that I have been to the range to put some rounds down range with both of my carry guns. I have been rotating between the 2 but have not been burning power in either. I need to look into going to the range soon after 1st of the year and run some rounds through both of them and then come home and clean them.

• Like 1

I usually have my carry gun with me, so a lot of times when we are out shooting, I'll also shoot the gun and spare magazine empty. I'll also pull it out to dispatch the occasional possum or whatever. I clean it when it looks dirty. So far, this has worked great.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, pop pop said:

How many rounds should I run through it to determine if it is trustworthy? 

A box or two of whatever you are going to carry.

Also what ammo do you guys recommend? 

Federal Hydra-Shok or HST. You can order boxes of 50 online for about what a box of 20 will cost you in the store. 

How many rounds should I run through it to determine if it is trustworthy? Also what ammo do you guys recommend?

I'm using Federal HST 124gr. I've found it to be accurate, and reliable. Speer Gold Dot is also very well respected. 

Dave is right buy boxes of 50 on line rather than the expensive 20rnd boxes in a big box store. You'll save a bundle.

I like the 124gr bullet but 147gr would be good as well.

I ordered from SG Ammo last time.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/federal/50-round-box-9mm-federal-hst-124-grain-jhp-hollow-point-le-ammo-p9hst1

http://www.sgammo.com/product/speer/50-round-box-9mm-speer-gold-dot-124-grain-standard-pressure-le-hollow-point-ammo-53618

I compare price per round plus shipping when shopping around, but these guys have been pretty consistent with pricing particularly on handgun defensive stuff.

Good luck

To the OP good luck finding DPX. Corbon is no longer run by the Pi family. Not sure what the company will keep producing. The ammo had been particularly hard to find since I believe Freedom Group acquired Barnes and they couldn't get the all copper bullets. They had just started to produce the copper bullets in house. Are you still wanting an all copper bullet because Gorilla Ammo and Barnes are supposed to make a good one. If you don't want copper go with Speer Gold Dots or Federal HSTs which you can order from SGAmmo.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've had excellent experiences doing business with Bone Frog Gun Club. Incredibly fast shipping and darn good pricing. I'm currently carrying 147 hr HST fwiw.

https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/collections/ammunition/9mm

Shotgunshooter... I read somewhere that the Pi family is venturing into another ammo business...that could be interweb rattling and wishful thinking. Anyone know?

I've had excellent experiences doing business with Bone Frog Gun Club. Incredibly fast shipping and darn good pricing. I'm currently carrying 147 hr HST fwiw.
https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/collections/ammunition/9mm

Shotgunshooter... I read somewhere that the Pi family is venturing into another ammo business...that could be interweb rattling and wishful thinking. Anyone know?

Pete Jr is starting his own company called defiant ammunitions. I'm on the Facebook page and have watched all his livestreams. Seems very nice and is taking input on his potential product lines. https://defense-training.com/2017/cor-bon-update/

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
On 1/3/2018 at 11:26 AM, pop pop said:

Thanks for the advice. What on line ammo company do you guys purchase from? 

Federal HST for $20 for box of 50, I've caught it on sale before at $14.99

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/federal-hst-law-enforcement-9mm-luger-ammo-147-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-p9hst2-p-3547.aspx

180 grain 40S&W Federal HST is on sale for $14.99 right now.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/federal-law-enforcement-40-sw-ammo-180-grain-hst-jacketed-hollow-point-p40hst1b-p-55007.aspx

They don't ship as fast as some others, but those prices for HST is the best I have seen.