What guns, gear or training are in your crosshairs for 2018?

TGO David

• Administrator

It's hard for me to believe that there are less than 12 hours left in 2017.  Personal resolutions aside, what are the guns, gear, training or related things in your crosshairs for the year ahead?

I keep telling myself that one of these years I am going to make an effort to attend SHOT on a media pass, but I never seem to really want to do it when the time comes (November time-frame) to make the reservations.  We actually had some TGO media passes a few years ago but I felt much the same about it then as I do now.  It seems like a lot of work just to cover the same things that every other blogger or media personality will cover, ad nauseam.

More realistically, I would like to finally get some round-table podcasts going and hopefully do a quarterly round-table in person with members of TGO.  I would also like to pick up one of the Springfield TRP 10mm handguns, for no other reason than I have an unjustifiable fetish for the 1911 platform despite all of the logical reasons not to.  I hope to make it to the range at least as much as I did this year but ideally more.

Lastly, I think I would like to attend an emergency medical training course or two.

• Like 3

I want to get back to a semi-regular range schedule.  2017 was a massively hectic year for me...stepping into a new job, having to learn the industry I entered from scratch and put in the hours to get myself up to speed and do the work.  I just need to make the time now that I understand the demand on my person.  

With that, I want to shoot pistol over rifle by about 2/1 ratio.  Long guns are fun, and very relaxing for me, but a pistol is more likely to be in my hands in a bad situation, so I need to allocate my training time accordingly.

52 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I think I would like to attend an emergency medical training course or two.

This is a great one for anyone with the time.  First response medicine is a never ending subject for sure, but any training in it is beneficial, and the advances they keep making in material and technique are amazing.

• Like 1

I want to attend an emergency medical course this year, along with a land nav course. I've promised my boy a new gun this yesr, and he wants a 1911, I may just go that route myself and be done with it, dunno yet. I intend to buy a new handgun for myself this year at any rate, maybe a couple, with one being a revolver. 

• Like 1

I want to get my home range finished up by June. This will help with practice... I'd like to make it to a few of Randy Harris (cruel hand luke) classes this year, the're a bargan. 

I'm probably going to tgge NRA show in Dallas this year. I have a friend going from there and we haven't gotten together in a while.

Probably going to pick up a pocket pistol this year too. 

• Like 1

I have a hankerin' for a 17HMR for some reason, I want to improve my 200 yd and further accuracy.  Right now at 200 yds, I'm consistently not consistent :mad:, 100 I've got down to 3/4" or better depending on the day.  Range time will be required for the 200 yd improvements and that's not a real problem for me as I was usually at the range 2x/week for 2017, so 2018 should not be any different.  

6 hours ago, TGO David said:

I would also like to pick up one of the Springfield TRP 10mm handguns, for no other reason than I have an unjustifiable fetish for the 1911 platform despite all of the logical reasons not to

Sums up 2018 goals for me :)

• Like 1

1) attend MOAC-R with OpSpec in Paducah. Will be a memorable time

2) acquire a bolt action 300 BLK that uses standard AR mags

3) get a dedicated 22 can

4) if I can get in good enough shape take Hugh Coffee's Ditch Medicen class

I'm starting to get more serious about suppressors and would like  to learn as much as I possibly can.  From what I have been researching 300 blackout is the way to go if you want to get quiet as possible which is my ultimate goal. 

Definately more range time. My swap in jobs cost me access to the impromptu range I could shoot at free anytime (even on my lunch break...I miss that). I need to keep working to make everything second nature and tighten up my groupings. 

Thinking of finally getting my cc permit. I have held off because the places I spend the most time at are "gun free" due to the nature of the business. I hate leaving my gun in the car most of the day. 

I have a real "need" for a .357 S&W. My Papaw carried a snub nose one on the force and I have always seen it as iconic. The EAA I have does great, but I still want lol. 

For guns, I want to get the M1 carbine to reliable status, the Walther PPS m2  has piqued my curiosity, and perhaps add a theta trigger to the P10C.

Adding a stabilizing brace to the PPS-43c is also penciled in.

Gear wise, other than buying ammo, I think I am in good shape.

Training is also penciled in for spring and fall/winter. The snowflake in me avoids summer exertion. 

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Mark A said:

1) attend MOAC-R with OpSpec in Paducah. Will be a memorable time

I grew up in Paducah and lived there for my first 25 years.  What range/facility do they have now that can accommodate this class??

Anytime the subject revealing what’s on my list of wants or desires or someon else’s wish list, the lyrics to a Rolling Stones song starts blaring in my head.  I’ve probably blown way more than 1 or 2  50 amp fuses trying to justify or convince myself why I should acquire widget X that I want over Y or Z that I need.

You know you’ve heard it and maybe thought, yeah that’s so true.

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you just might find
You get what you need

You get what you need--yeah, oh baby

So after all that and like last year and a few before I’m looking for a deal on a 50 BMG that I have absolutely no real use for other than I want one or a Perazzi MX 2000 combo that will see some regular range time.

• Like 2