Multiple transfers 1 rate

FrankD

I woukd love to do this too. Best I can find in NE TN is a discounted cost on the second and so on. By the time you pay the transfer the cheap lowers have doubled in price almost. 

Plus, I would like to pick up a few things off Gunbroker if I can avoid the same issue. 

2 hours ago, Raoul said:

Seems disingenuous to expect a shop that's trying to make a go of it to offer their services for little compensation.

I understand both sides, but there is very little additional work in transferring the second, third, fourth, etc beyond the first. I don't want them to transfer 100 items on one fee, but maybe limit it to 5 or something. 

When I stop in to do a transfer, I often end up buying something anyway. It may not be huge, but I usually find something in the used misc bin at least. 

From a personal point of view, my budget causes me to look hard at prices on everything I buy. Unfortunately, most of the LGS pricing is no where close to online pricing (as most of you know). Also, I have not hit on a shop yet that "clicks" with me. I have tried a few, but no luck.  I am more apt to pay a slightly higher price to a place I feel good working with not that is just the most convenient FFL to transfer through. 

Why should an LGS give a discount for a potential one and done?

I know the customer doesn't give 2 flying f***s if retailer makes any profit, until the retailer goes out of business.

Big box / internet retailers do not offer FFL transfers, why begrudge the LGS for a performing service .gov forces and no one else offers?

• Like 4

Mid Tenn Pawn in Murfreesboro surprised me by only charging one fee a few years back when I had a GSG-522 and a stripped AR lower come in at the same time. Between that and how friendly the people were, they got every transfer after that while I lived there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk. OhShoot very much likes to know when we're using Tapatalk.

We all take advantage of online retailers. That's the reality of this c.f. Of a system we have to deal with. But  I really believe you also need a lgs you can have a relationship with. A man needs somewhere he can go to and piss and moan,  buy the occasional item and depend on for the occasional transfer. It's hard to begrudge a man the transfer fee when he's kind enough to accept an item you didn't buy from him.

Just my .02

• Like 4
30 minutes ago, Raoul said:

We all take advantage of online retailers. That's the reality of this c.f. Of a system we have to deal with. But  I really believe you also need a lgs you can have a relationship with. A man needs somewhere he can go to and piss and moan,  buy the occasional item and depend on for the occasional transfer. It's hard to begrudge a man the transfer fee when he's kind enough to accept an item you didn't buy from him.

Just my .02

Actually my lgs needs to have a relationship with me. It is a two way s street but I am after all the customer. I will buy as much as I can from my LGS but if they do not understand that they cannot always best a great deal or provide what I am after it is not going to be a relationship that works. 

LGS are going to go under quick if they do not provide a reason for me or other customers to visit them. Charging me full cost for transfer fee on multiple lowers is one way to make me go elsewhere. If the local guy is close in price I will buy from them every time. 

If they cannot sustain their business then they need a new plan. Sad but true. I am a little tired of hearing how my local store needs my support. I understand all of the arguments but it comes down to me being loyal to someone that works at getting my business. 

I try to be a good customer at the same time not discussing my prices with others as I understand the one off buyer is not going to get the same price I might after spending half my annual income with them. 

It is a two way relationship which cannot grow if one takes advantage of the other. 

• Like 1

nOrfl, you are correct, as a customer, the business should cater to you.

I'm not sure how a small brick and mortar can adjust their business model to sustain competing on price vs. online.

"If price is less important, what is most important, quality or service?"

25 minutes ago, n0rlf said:

Actually my lgs needs to have a relationship with me. It is a two way s street but I am after all the customer. I will buy as much as I can from my LGS but if they do not understand that they cannot always best a great deal or provide what I am after it is not going to be a relationship that works. 

LGS are going to go under quick if they do not provide a reason for me or other customers to visit them. Charging me full cost for transfer fee on multiple lowers is one way to make me go elsewhere. If the local guy is close in price I will buy from them every time. 

If they cannot sustain their business then they need a new plan. Sad but true. I am a little tired of hearing how my local store needs my support. I understand all of the arguments but it comes down to me being loyal to someone that works at getting my business. 

I try to be a good customer at the same time not discussing my prices with others as I understand the one off buyer is not going to get the same price I might after spending half my annual income with them. 

It is a two way relationship which cannot grow if one takes advantage of the other. 

Sounds like you need a new shop. Happily the web hasn't put them all out of business.

It is a tough call. I am an admitted impulse buyer but an a cheap sob at the same time. 

I don't mind paying a little more for a gun if I am treated right. I also understand a shop not wanting to give the same process to everyone that walks through the door. I do not waste my local time asking a hundred questions and tend to spend a lot there over a year. 

The guy that asks a hundred questions and shows up once then goes to Walmart for everything else is usually not going to get the same deal I do. 

How does a LGS stay in business these days? I do not have that answer. I have known several that for thirty years treated me great. Still do when I visit even though I have moved years ago. I will usually go out of my way to test them good as well including telling others. Same goes for bad treatment, I will not have a kind words for a shop that seems to only care about the one of customers. They sell them guns at MSRP and just keep right on going. They do not make an effort to gain a lot customer. We have all seen this shops. Some big some small but usually I see that right away and move on to a more friendly store. 

Want my business, ask my name, tell me yours, and shake my hand when you see me in your shop the first time. 

At least acknowledge the fact I made the effort to visit your shop. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Sounds like you need a new shop. Happily the web hasn't put them all out of business.

Yeah, have not found one since I moved. Of course there is not one within 30 miles. I have used the same shop for most of the time I loved in other areas. Lived in Minnesota for 20 years and used the same shop. Still do when we visit. Same for the ten years I suffered in Florida. Now I am home thank the good Lord and I want to find a good LGS that I can keep until I am done on this planet. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators
5 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

I understand both sides, but there is very little additional work in transferring the second, third, fourth, etc beyond the first. I don't want them to transfer 100 items on one fee, but maybe limit it to 5 or something. 

When I stop in to do a transfer, I often end up buying something anyway. It may not be huge, but I usually find something in the used misc bin at least. 

From a personal point of view, my budget causes me to look hard at prices on everything I buy. Unfortunately, most of the LGS pricing is no where close to online pricing (as most of you know). Also, I have not hit on a shop yet that "clicks" with me. I have tried a few, but no luck.  I am more apt to pay a slightly higher price to a place I feel good working with not that is just the most convenient FFL to transfer through. 

Actually, the amount of work for transferring multiple guns is significantly more than for transferring a single gun. Each gun is individually logged in and out of the ffl’s logbooks. In addition, if one transfers multiple handguns that triggers another form that has to be filed with the ATF. Each firearm requires the same amount of work whether it is sold singly or as part of a multiple. 

• Like 4
45 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Actually, the amount of work for transferring multiple guns is significantly more than for transferring a single gun. Each gun is individually logged in and out of the ffl’s logbooks. In addition, if one transfers multiple handguns that triggers another form that has to be filed with the ATF. Each firearm requires the same amount of work whether it is sold singly or as part of a multiple. 

So even with ten lowers it took my old FFL an extra ten minutes to do that work. Does that justify 10 transfer fees? Nope, not in my mind. Some amount certainly but anyone that wants $35 per lower to transfer is loosing my business. 

Oh. maybe it is justified for those used to working with the government or other unorganized people. Otherwise I am selfish in that I expect smooth organized transactions from my FFL.

Raise the bar a little man and expect service from your chosen FFL. I am not there to give my money away. I expect value for it as should he. If he or his employees are not effecient an cannt get the little extra work done quickly then i doubt they can do anythin else fast and prganized either. That is most likely the FFL that will not be around very long.

Now the other side of that is true also. If you do not buy ammo, spplies, or whatever from your local dealer and just expect low trasfer fees than you are also part of the problem. 

I have always managed to find a dealer to serve me well and built good relationships with them. Until now, as I live in the middle of nowhere (Thankfully) and have not yet had the time to hunt down a good one.

I am open to suggestions though!

12 minutes ago, Sidecarist said:

n0rlf,  try Mike at Downhome Outdoor Addiction on Market St in Dayton just over the mountain from Pikeville. They have treated me right on a couple of things and have earned more of my business for the future. 

Thanks! I will do that.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, n0rlf said:

So even with ten lowers it took my old FFL an extra ten minutes to do that work. Does that justify 10 transfer fees? Nope, not in my mind. Some amount certainly but anyone that wants $35 per lower to transfer is loosing my business. 

Oh. maybe it is justified for those used to working with the government or other unorganized people. Otherwise I am selfish in that I expect smooth organized transactions from my FFL.

Raise the bar a little man and expect service from your chosen FFL. I am not there to give my money away. I expect value for it as should he. If he or his employees are not effecient an cannt get the little extra work done quickly then i doubt they can do anythin else fast and prganized either. That is most likely the FFL that will not be around very long.

Now the other side of that is true also. If you do not buy ammo, spplies, or whatever from your local dealer and just expect low trasfer fees than you are also part of the problem. 

I have always managed to find a dealer to serve me well and built good relationships with them. Until now, as I live in the middle of nowhere (Thankfully) and have not yet had the time to hunt down a good one.

I am open to suggestions though!

My perspective is from someone that’s worked in guns stores and been the guy filling out the logbooks. You might have seen 10 minutes worth of work, but there was more before you got there and later that night after close. 

If anyone wants to know why a good chunk of ffls don’t handle transfers, look no further than this thread. 

• Like 2

I have also worked in gun stores and there is not that much more. ten serial numbers is not all that hard to write in the book or on a 4473. 

To each their own. I passed on a dealer name to the OP that does what he wants. Seems to work for that dealer. I am guessing they would both be happy.

That is why some dealers make it and some don't. In the end is almost always customer service. It is even more true today with the internet. Add sales tax onto it and it makes it hard for dealers to compete. I would think they would be willing to work with customers more. 

Either way I am not going to beat a dead horse too badly. Feel free to spend your money as you choose. 

57 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

My perspective is from someone that’s worked in guns stores and been the guy filling out the logbooks. You might have seen 10 minutes worth of work, but there was more before you got there and later that night after close. 

If anyone wants to know why a good chunk of ffls don’t handle transfers, look no further than this thread. 

Since you have been there perhaps you could enlighten the masses on what all is involved in a transfer...and how many dealers can justify the fees charged, especially in Memphis.

Assuming perfect transfer, i.e., transferee consults with FFL, orders gun, gun is expected and received, firearm logged in/out, buyer picks picks up and accepts.  How long does that actually take?  Bull####ting time with the UPS or FedEx guy does not count, nor does fondling the transferee’s goods or showing them off to whoever might be in the store at the time.

• Administrator

Every time I see a gun shop fold up and go out of business -- and quite a few of them did just that over the past 14 months -- I become increasingly grateful for the shops that remain in business.  Operating a retail store of any sort is often a very thankless job.  For every good customer who values and appreciates you being there for them, there have got to be at least two dozen or more who act like spoiled, petulant children and take you for granted or outright mistreat you.  And worse yet are the fools that act like this and don't have the money to back up their air of self-importance or superiority.

A gun shop with only retail sales to propel it has to be the quickest way to put a business owner in debt, the hospital, and Alcoholics Anonymous.  We're fortunate to have a lot of good folks condensed here on TGO but keep in mind that you guys aren't the only ones who darken the doorsteps of gun shops.  You're the "for every one" crowd.  The two dozen or more others behind you aren't the bright part of any counter-clerk's day.

• Like 2

As the law has certainly changed since I was involved 20 years ago I would not presume to give a step by step rundown. Back when I was doing it we answered the door and received the packages from UPS. Logged then all in both in the computer and the bound book. Separated any transfers and notified the customer of arrival. Most already knew as our schedule was pretty easy then. Not as much internet sales as today. 

When the customer came in filled out the paperwork, did the call in, and processed the payment. 

End of day we ran the till, and made sure all sales and transfers were logged and accounted for. Any multiple forms sent and the restrooms ready for the next day. 

Point is that it is up to each dealer, some sure seem to think it is fine with one charger and are happy to do business with me. Others want to charge for each lower and will of course not see any of my money. 

It is a personal decision on the part of the dealer just like it is my decision which dealer to use. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TGO David said:

Every time I see a gun shop fold up and go out of business -- and quite a few of them did just that over the past 14 months -- I become increasingly grateful for the shops that remain in business.  Operating a retail store of any sort is often a very thankless job.  For every good customer who values and appreciates you being there for them, there have got to be at least two dozen or more who act like spoiled, petulant children and take you for granted or outright mistreat you.  And worse yet are the fools that act like this and don't have the money to back up their air of self-importance or superiority.

A gun shop with only retail sales to propel it has to be the quickest way to put a business owner in debt, the hospital, and Alcoholics Anonymous.  We're fortunate to have a lot of good folks condensed here on TGO but keep in mind that you guys aren't the only ones who darken the doorsteps of gun shops.  You're the "for every one" crowd.  The two dozen or more others behind you aren't the bright part of any counter-clerk's day.

Which is why I always use tact and never discuss pricing when the one offs are present. I respect what a good dealer does for me and treat him just as well as he treats me. I understand that not everyone does that though. 

In the end it is a personal decision. I am not doing business with someone that wants 350 to transfer ten lowers. I also understand that charging for one is probably not happening either. 

Like all other things don't piss on my leg and tell me it is raining by saying there is that much more work on ten than one. 

If a shop cannot sustain business based on transfer fees alone then there is a much bigger issue. In this day off internet I am not sure how any shop competes. Between big Sellers and no sales tax it has to be hard for some shops to be competitive. All they have left is impulse buyers or the new customer that does not know better. 

And then of course the loyal buyers that appreciate good service. 

When I had an FFL and was doing transfers I left the firearm in the shipping package and let the customer open it. That way if the firearm was damaged or anything missing, he would know I had nothing to do with it. I did multiple transfers for the one fee as long as they were all done at the same time. This ended up causing me problems as I had customers leaving a firearm with me for a week or more until they could get another one in and transfer both for one fee. Then I could not get the first one logged into the bound book within the time limit imposed by BATF.

• Like 1