Med kit?

Just wondering what kind of med kit you guys have in your range bag or truck? I need to add the basics and accquire the training on how to use it. Links are welcome and appreciated. 

Also, the gun club I belong to is in a pretty remote area. One way in/one way out. Lock the HEAVY gate after you enter. In the event of a medical emergency, would first responders have a way to access the property? I can’t locate a Knox box. Do clubs generally issue keys to ALL potential first responders? There’s certainly no way to cut the lock. Thoughts? 

Thanks!

I'll follow thus with interest.

I have a small blowout kit, CAT tourniquet, quick clot, Israeli bandage, compressed gauze, med scissors, and a few other small items. I have a basic understanding of how to use it all, but no formal training. 

I have heard of fire trucks pulling gates down with chains, or cutting them, either way it slows them down,  and may prevent you from being able to leave in the event of an injury. 

I keep a basic soft sided one in the cars and tossed an extra in my range bag.

I am trying to get a minute to supplement that kit with some larger pads and meds. Burn cream, pain reliever, triple antibiotic cream, and tweezers are things I make sure to keep. 

If things are really bad, I always have duct tape and a couple clean rags in my bag. Lol

Are you saying you looked for a Knox box to buy or to see if the gate had one already?

Edited by Ronald_55

These are the ones that I carry:

1) http://www.liveactionsafety.com/military-elite-tactical-trauma-first-aid-backpack-full-kit/

2) https://www.narescue.com/law-enforcement-tems-products/casualty-response-kits/tactical-operator-response-kit-tork  (you can build these yourself for much cheaper) I was given this kit. I would not pay $225.00 for it. 

I always add items to my kits.  The items I usually add are multiple CAT tourniquets  (for the big kits), multiple compression bandages (for the big kits), chest seals, Quick Clot combat gauze, flashlights, headlamp (for the big kits), hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes, steri strips (butterflies). 

These are the items that I put in my small built kits (like #2)

• 1 x Nasopharyngeal Airway 28F with Lubricant 
  • 1 x HyFin Vent Chest Seal Twin Pack
  • 1 x Needle Decompression Kit (14 G x 3.25 in.) 
  • 1 x CAT tourniquet 
  • 1 x 6" Compression bandage
  • 2 x 4 yards rolled gauze
  • 1 roll 3m Transpore medical tape
  • 1 x pair Trauma Shears (7.25 in.)
  • 1 x package Quick Clot Combat Gauze
  • 1 x small LED flashlight
  • 1 x zip lock bag with steri strips and fabric bandaids. 
  • 2 pair nitrile gloves

You can get basic first aid and CPR training online here https://nhcps.com/ they run deals on Groupon all of the time for their First Aid, CPR and AED training for around $20.  

Quick Clot has free online training for their products here http://quikclot.com/QuikClot/Off-Nav/Static-Content/Training-Education

Edited by Karnage

Parrothead, in your situation, the things someone on site would need to work on with a casualty would be breathing (the nasopharyngeal airway), controlling bleeding (tourniquet, gauze, and bandages/dressings), and preventing hypothermia (core body temp drops fast when enough blood is lost).   The third item is what I'm missing kit for right now, but I live in urban areas with medical attention and hospitals abound, so it's less of a risk (still a big one, though) for me.   

As for training, I'm not spun up at all on any in the area.  TGODavid mentioned medical classes in his 2018 goals, and I think that's something that anyone would benefit from.  I could sure use a refresher.  If anyone hears of any, chime in and share so we can all check our calenders. 

Here's hoping I never have to use any of this...

HtbJt62.jpg

393qJzl.jpg

The bag is a Husky 12" Document Bag from Home Depot.  Quite rugged enough, and as you can see, holds a good bit.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-12-in-Document-Bag-82012N11/203224009

5gE0Gpl.jpg

From left to right, top to bottom:

*H-Bandage Compression Dressing (Flat Folded)

*Big Cinch Large Compression Dressing

Asherman Chest Seal

CAT (slightly off camera, sorry)

Gloves

Nasopharyngeal Airway w/lube

*PriMed Compressed Gauze (x2)

Israeli Pressure Dressing

EMT Shears

A great site (and source of items marked with a *) for those looking to get medical kit without breaking the bank:

https://buyhandh.com/

Edited by btq96r

Thank you guys. This is the info I was hoping to find. 

When looking at access to remote property, is this something I need to take up with the club? We have an outstanding deputy who lives on the same road as the gun club but out side of his house, help would be a long way away with a MAJOR obstruction. If someone had to hike in from then gate, you’d be looking at 1/2 mile or more to the closest range. Probably a mile to the more distant trap range. 

I’m pretty good at overcoming obstacles but with the layout of the land and the strength of the gate, there’s no way around this one nor is the a way to cut the lock. The gate has bars on it that would prevent someone from pushing it open without punching your radiator. I can throw up a picture but I’d assure you, it’s a heavy piece of metal with no other access points. Thoughts?

I would talk to the club about access. They may have something in place or they may have never thought about it. As mentioned earlier, a Knox box,containing a key to the gate, would be a good idea if there is a post, or other place, to mount it. 

I just viewed the 1st aid classes on Personal Defense Network.  Good for someone like me with no experience.  Jan 8 & 9 Nashville Armory will have a 3 hr gunshot 1st aid class.  And, On Target has had a 4 hr class that I want to attend ($150,) but they don't have any currently scheduled.  This is definitely a worthwhile thread that I will continue to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

Chinook Med is the first that comes to mind but there are others like North American Rescue, and Dark Angel Medical to name a few.

1 hour ago, Patrick Henry said:

What are some good websites to purchase a high quality combat life saver IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit) and additional supplies, including tourniquet, Israeli bandages, Halo chest seals, nasopharyngeal airway tube, 14 gauge needle/catheter, etc....

Does anyone know what the average soldier carries for a FAK? Might be a good start there, or a Navy corpsman's bag. Back in the depths of time, what we had was a OD pouch holding the heavy plastic wrapped field dressing (long green gauze ties to a thick bandage that was sterile until opened). The heavy wrap was meant for sealing sucking wounds.

SWC a/k/a KI7CIL

On 1/1/2018 at 12:40 PM, Parrothead said:

Just wondering what kind of med kit you guys have in your range bag or truck? I need to add the basics and accquire the training on how to use it. Links are welcome and appreciated. 

Also, the gun club I belong to is in a pretty remote area. One way in/one way out. Lock the HEAVY gate after you enter. In the event of a medical emergency, would first responders have a way to access the property? I can’t locate a Knox box. Do clubs generally issue keys to ALL potential first responders? There’s certainly no way to cut the lock. Thoughts? 

Thanks!

A fire truck will have several ways to get in. Gas powered rotary saw, jaws of life with cutter implement,  road flares or the whole truck as a ram. That assuming that 1stR's aren't already members.

SWC a/k/a KI7CIL

In my vehicles I generally have a stout FAK in the trunk/hatch, while my daily also has a smaller kit specific to a GSW attached with Velcro behind the driver's headrest.

39717226502_15b3958647_c.jpg

Behind Headrest by Erik, on Flickr

38850678785_40f1819432_c.jpg

YELLOW BOX! by Erik, on Flickr

It's this kit from Chinook  I purchased it a few years back with excess FSA funds I had to blow before year end.

27970042159_5c4c286467_c.jpg

Exterior FAK Reflective Label by Erik, on Flickr

Speaking on vehicle first aid kits, here are a few pointers I've come to follow over the years. Make sure it's CLEARLY labeled/identifiable (remember it may not be you grabbing it). Mount it/fix it/label it. Mine's the ONLY yellow box in my truck, and it's ALWAYS on the right side under the FAK label affixed to the rear door. If i'm involved offering aid to someone I can't take to my truck, I can tell any able bodied adult GO GRAB THE YELLOW FIRST AID KIT FROM THE BACK OF MY TRUCK! and know exactly what they will come back to me with with and what it contains.

When I'm traveling longer distances, camping, or expecting to be driving in the backcountry where medical care will be more than an hour away I have an additional kit which is more comprehensive that I throw in which covers more comprehensive things which could ruin a trip. This will vary by your experience and training but to give an example in my case on a camping trip a few years back we had a few of the family dogs get into it, not terrible but one had a gash that needed attention. From my little blue bag I handed a veterinarian camping with us sutures, irrigation saline, and a pair of sterile gloves. He had the couple grab some iodine from the local wally world for good measure on the cleaning of the fur around it and stitched it up. Needless to say it saved anyone having to cut the trip short which is exactly the type thing I have it in there for. ;)

24879580937_e8b2f2ea23_c.jpg

"the extras" by Erik, on Flickr

• Like 2