Sign in to follow this  
TGO David

Springfield TRP Operator 10mm 5-inch 1911

Just a teaser.  I hope to be able to run some rounds through it in the days ahead and give a report back on it.  Overall, my initial impressions of it are very favorable.  It feels like it has a better fit and finish than some of the Springfield Operators that I have shot in the past.  The front strap and mainspring housing texture are surprisingly smoother to the touch than I anticipated.  Not aggressive at all.  I honestly wonder if they have enough bite.

More to come!  :)

i-4NmwNQc-XL.jpg

• Like 10

YES!!!!! We need a detailed Range Report!!

• Like 1

Had to come back to it....... that’s PURDY!

• Like 1

Well! I never! That thing just looks terrible! Can you believe someone would show something like that in public? What is the world coming to? What will the neighbors think? :dirty: 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, res308 said:

Well! I never! That thing just looks terrible! Can you believe someone would show something like that in public? What is the world coming to? What will the neighbors think? :dirty: 

It's pretty scandalous isn't it?

Congrats on very nice pistol!  

• Like 1

The fact that my local outdoor range is closed the first full weekend of each month has just been killing me this weekend.  I hope to be able to sneak away at lunch on Wednesday and shoot it.  If not, I won't have another chance to do so until Friday or Saturday.

The suspense is excruciating.

I had a chance to take the TRP out for a quick trip to the range at lunch today.  This was primarily a function check and "get to know you" session due to the limited amount of time that I had available.  Furthermore, I also had my M&P M2.0 9mm full-size with me and wanted to give it a spin after having installed the polymer Apex Action Enhancement Trigger and Duty/Carry Kit earlier this week.  Consequently I limited myself to 50-rounds through the TRP.

Shooting-Range Impressions of the TRP Operator 10mm:

When you spend around $1500 for a handgun you will either shoot it and think "I can't believe I spent $1500 on this damn thing" or you will think "I can't believe this thing was only $1500!" and for me this gun falls squarely into the second category.  The fit and finish are superb and the function of it was outstanding.  Every part of its construction lines up as it should, there are no rough or sharp edges, the controls move with precision and authority, and it is capable of more accuracy than I am.

Honestly, this is the way a 10mm handgun should feel.  The heavy steel frame helped soak up a lot of the 180gr Seller & Bellot FMJ that I was shooting.  Rated at 1164 feet per second and around 543 Foot Pounds of energy at the muzzle, the S&B 180gr isn't exactly a full house 10mm load but it's scooting out of the barrel faster and with more presence than the .45ACP or .40SW have.  My prior experience with the 10mm cartridge was with my Glock 20 and I found it to be a handful.  Not so with the TRP.  It was, dare I say... pleasant.

Of the 50 rounds shot there were absolutely no problems.  No failures to feed, fire or eject.  Every round went where I aimed.  I even knew where the few I pulled were going to land as soon as I squeezed the trigger and immediately recognized my mistakes.

I can't wait to spend more time with this gun.  I love everything about it and can even forgive it for being heavy and low capacity in a high capacity, light-weight polymer world.  Those guns all needed something to look up to anyway and the 10mm TRP might just be it.

• Like 5

I expected this to be a very nice pistol.  Glad to it's meeting the high standard i had for it.

I saw that Royal Range had the TRP in the store yesterday as I was getting a few boxes of ammunition.  It was a very nice pistol.  If I hadn't purchased a DW Bruin a few weeks ago the TRP would have come home with me.  If it stays in the counter very long, it could get a new home in my safe.

• Like 1

I love 10mm and I love the 1911 so this is a great combination. I have two 10mm 1911s myself and they’re great shooters.

• Like 2

The DW longslide was my first 10mm and the TRP will be the next.  I can't see having only one pistol in any caliber.  The only exception to this has been a .380 and I only keep a few boxes of ammunition for it.  It's difficult getting a good supply of 10mm as I keep shooting about half of it.

Edited by tnhawk

1 hour ago, tnhawk said:

The DW longslide was my first 10mm and the TRP will be the next.  I can't see having only one pistol in any caliber.  The only exception to this has been a .380 and I only keep a few boxes of ammunition for it.  It's difficult getting a good supply of 10mm as I keep shooting about half of it.

I have *got* to start reloading it.  I am keeping my brass each trip to the range and have been shooting 180gr Sellier & Bellot FMJ for target ammo, so I should be able to easily reload with 180gr .40SW/10mm projectiles and my Dillon 550B.  I just need to get back into the habit of actually doing it.

• Like 1

I've been shooting Armscor, SigSauer and Remington 180gr.  It's difficult to save all the brass on an indoor range but I'll start loading it at some point in the future.

I can ONLY speak for myself. I find re-loading 10 mm to take me to a slightly different “ place” than other calibers.  I know that sounds strange but there is so much versatility in the 10 mm platform that it makes you just want to go crazy in a GOOD way with options. And when you find THAT pet load, yeeeeesssssss, it’s awesome. Mild to wild Gents! 

• Like 1