Coyote hunting

Me and my father are about to get into coyote hunting and just curious about what is some good to get, and possibly some good places to hunt around Clarksville Tn and some tricks to set up a good hunt, he will be using either a 17hmr, or an ar15, and i will have either my ar15 or a 308

Watch the wind, they're sneaky and they will always circle you and nearly always come in from up wind. I've found them easiest to hunt in light winds.

I've always used an AR in 5.56, they're not hard to kill, but you usually only get one shot.

I have a cheap digital call and it works fine. Not bottom of the line, but definitely the bottom 1/3rd. They can get silly expensive. 

• Like 1

Hozzie i agree with ya on wanting to still be humaine while hunting, i have seen where people have used the 17hmr before so it was up in the air wasnt 100% sure it would be used, im use to deer, turkey and squirrel hunting, im pumped to get into coyote hunting

I had a friend who used to hunt them a lot. He would set up like turkey hunting over a Stewart electronic call with his shot gun. He set the call up behind a tree so he didn't have to worry about hitting the call. He said they would run right over the call in no time flat if they were in the area. He said they were to leary to get open ground rifle shots at most of the time but ring the dinner bell in thicker cover and they would come in and back out fast so a fast handling shotgun worked well for him.

• 2 months later...

I also am new to this site and to hunting coyotes. I am prior Military, so I have a lot of experience with the AR-15 platform. Likewise, I am using an AR-15. The 5.56 NATO round in 65 grain or higher is what I prefer, JHP obviously, and it performs very well. Shot placement is crucial and I have to use a scope for my old eyes. I have seen a lot of wildcat cartridges from the 25-45 Sharps up to the 6.8 SPC, etc. For me it just comes down to availability and price of ammo. Whereas I would use 5.56 NATO on coyotes, but a 30.06 on larger game.

I've been using 55 gr. in my AR and getting one shot kills. Also using 35gr in a 222 bolt gun that has stopped them in their tracks. I chased a red fox up the driveway this afternoon. They are pretty animals I hate to shoot them... yotes on the other hand

On 4/6/2018 at 9:58 PM, Ehunt said:

I have been debating between 224 Valkyrie, 25-45 Sharps, or just staying with the 5.56 NATO in 62 grain or higher... right now sticking with 5.56 is the most cost effective.

Love my 25-45 still working with the 224 not ready to pass judgment yet

• Like 1