My truck broken into

Yesterday I went to the gun show at the Agricenter in Memphis. When I came out to leave I found my truck door unlocked. There appeared to be some light damage around the key hole and my key wouldn't work. The truck is a 2003 model and it could have been just normal wear that I never noticed before.   I did a quick check and there doesn't seem to be anything missing. To be honest, that particular lock has been troublesome for quite a while and I considered that maybe it just finally broke. However, later I went to go somewhere and when I tried to put the key in, the lock pushed back inside the door. Just to be on the safe side, this morning I called the Sheriff's Dept, met a deputy and filed a report. He got all the info and took some pictures. 

This is kind of odd since nothing is missing. Maybe the thief got scared off? Maybe he didn't find anything he wanted? Beats me. Frankly, I can't absolutely swear that it was a break in. But the whole thing does leave me uncomfortable. These days you just never know. 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you had something readily visible,  I doubt anyone would take the time to break in.  Most likely the clip holding the lock in worked itself loose when you had issues with the lock.  That or the NSA had to replace the listening device :eek:

4 minutes ago, Omega said:

Unless you had something readily visible,  I doubt anyone would take the time to break in.  Most likely the clip holding the lock in worked itself loose when you had issues with the lock.  That or the NSA had to replace the listening device :eek:

He was at a gun show. I could absolutely imagine someone breaking in just to look for weapons. This is actually somewhat common at gun shows. It happened several times when I was living in Orlando.

Edited by Erik88

We’ve had this problem in our area. People walk around the neighborhood and look inside for something to take. Since all our windows are tinted, I just leave the doors unlocked and nothing in the cars. I don’t want them breaking out a window if I can avoid it. A three car garage would solve this but I’m not dropping the coin anytime soon. 

OP, this happened to me as well in Kentucky. I didn't notice at the time but several days later I noticed the "hole" under the door lock. My .38 that I kept in the console was missing. 

Keep in mind, my Ipad, GPS and work briefcase was in plain sight and untouched. What I found when I googled was this: Usually the theives in this type if break in (a) take things that wont be missed for some time and (b) they get your home address info from your GPS or insurance card/registration. With that, they can pay your house a visit. 

I took the door apart to check the damage. There's no doubt about now. The lock was definitely punched with a screwdriver. Just a little plastic damage on the handle where the key cylinder mounts.  I'm pretty sure I can fix it with a bit of epoxy. At least I'm gonna try that first. The lock cylinder will have to be replaced. I'll go down to the dealer tomorrow and check on that. Hopefully they can just replace the tumblers. 

OK, now that I know for sure that it was a break in I'm pissed! :mad:  As far as I know, there hasn't been any problems with break ins at the Agricenter before. Now I'm wondering if any other vehicles were hit? They do have one of those trailer cameras covering the parking lot and my truck should have been visible on it. I asked the deputy about it, but he seemed to think that since nothing was taken that they wouldn't bother to check the recording. 

I can only guess the thief was in a big hurry and only wanted guns. There was a box of tools in the back seat and an expensive flashlight in the console that he didn't bother. The big thing is that there was a Henry AR-7 wrapped in a blanket under the back seat. He missed it! I got lucky I guess. It won't be kept in there anymore. It was stupid f me to have it there to start with.  :wall:

My father-in-law's neighbor had his truck broken into about a month ago in Old Hickory. He's a big duck hunter and unfortunately had got in late and left his stuff in the pickup. They busted the back window out and got away with two high-dollar shotguns and a SIG pistol. It's a really nice neighborhood so I guess it just goes to show it doesn't matter where you live. Never leave your stuff in your vehicle that's for sure.

15 hours ago, Esko 270 said:

My father-in-law's neighbor had his truck broken into about a month ago in Old Hickory. He's a big duck hunter and unfortunately had got in late and left his stuff in the pickup. They busted the back window out and got away with two high-dollar shotguns and a SIG pistol. It's a really nice neighborhood so I guess it just goes to show it doesn't matter where you live. Never leave your stuff in your vehicle that's for sure.

Seems they are targeting nice neighborhoods. I’m guessing the haul is of higher quality. 

I got my truck fixed today. Two pages of locksmiths in the Memphis yellow pages and I spent nearly all day on the phone Monday trying to find one to fix my lock. It seems that the majority of them are mobile operations specializing in lock outs and keys. I did call a couple of the big established companies and was told they weren't interested because my truck is over 10 years old. :shake: Finally found a guy, but of course he's plumb on the other side of Memphis from me. I took him the lock yesterday morning and picked it up in the afternoon. He charged me $75 which wasn't bad at all. Today I got it all put back together. 

On a positive note, this morning I got a call from a detective with the Sheriff's Dept. Apparently there was at least one other vehicle hit. Maybe two and guns were stolen.  He was still checking. Anyway, he asked me a few questions and we talked a little about it. They are going to try to get the security footage and hopefully nail the thief. :up: What struck me odd was that he said he'd contact Homeland too. Is that because it was at a gun show and guns were taken? I'd think ATF would be the one to call? 

• Admin Team
13 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I got my truck fixed today. Two pages of locksmiths in the Memphis yellow pages and I spent nearly all day on the phone Monday trying to find one to fix my lock. It seems that the majority of them are mobile operations specializing in lock outs and keys. I did call a couple of the big established companies and was told they weren't interested because my truck is over 10 years old. :shake: Finally found a guy, but of course he's plumb on the other side of Memphis from me. I took him the lock yesterday morning and picked it up in the afternoon. He charged me $75 which wasn't bad at all. Today I got it all put back together. 

On a positive note, this morning I got a call from a detective with the Sheriff's Dept. Apparently there was at least one other vehicle hit. Maybe two and guns were stolen.  He was still checking. Anyway, he asked me a few questions and we talked a little about it. They are going to try to get the security footage and hopefully nail the thief. :up: What struck me odd was that he said he'd contact Homeland too. Is that because it was at a gun show and guns were taken? I'd think ATF would be the one to call? 

In 2002, the ATF shifted from reporting up through Treasury to reporting through the Department of Justice (under the newly created department of Homeland Security).

14 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

What struck me odd was that he said he'd contact Homeland too. Is that because it was at a gun show and guns were taken?

Did he mean TN Homeland security or Federal?  Maybe the Federal Department of Homeland Security is some access point for LEO to report stuff. I don’t know.

Regardless, the term “ Homeland” sickens me to my core since they came up with it in 2001.  Like fatherland, Rodina, etc.