Prayers for Doug

MacGyver

Thank all of you folks very much and there is no place like home. It was great sleeping in my own bed again for sure. Had to get up a few more times than normal due to still having issues in that area and I'm sure it will take time to get over that issue. It seems to be one of that last things I deal with every time I am in the hospital and they put a catherer in me. It seems to take more mobility and moving around to clear it up which in the hospital the only real moving around I did was 3 hours a day of therapy and the rest of the day was laying watching TV or sleeping. I'm not going to be running no marathons for a while cause I noticed I still don't have much energy just moving around this morning with walking around making a little breakfast and coffee for Darby and me took a little out of me.

• Like 2

Doug, take the time to heal! Work hard but be mindful of your body! My Aunt went in for some back surgery last week and they discovered an abnormal EKG, one Cath later she wound up last Thursday having a triple By-Pass. Went home yesterday. She is in a lot of discomfort and still needs the back surgery but said she is actually feeling better than before already.

Time will get you there! 

52 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Thank all of you folks very much and there is no place like home. It was great sleeping in my own bed again for sure. Had to get up a few more times than normal due to still having issues in that area and I'm sure it will take time to get over that issue. It seems to be one of that last things I deal with every time I am in the hospital and they put a catherer in me. It seems to take more mobility and moving around to clear it up which in the hospital the only real moving around I did was 3 hours a day of therapy and the rest of the day was laying watching TV or sleeping. I'm not going to be running no marathons for a while cause I noticed I still don't have much energy just moving around this morning with walking around making a little breakfast and coffee for Darby and me took a little out of me.

Brother...so glad you are home again! Sounds like you have the right mindset for recovery. Follow doc's advice, keep moving, do a bit more each day, and don't push it.

My brother-in-law had bypass surgery long ago, and I remember how weak he was at first. And he was a wee bit younger than you at the time. lol

Regaining strength takes time. It is just mindboggling how much is sapped out of you in an illness situation. I've been out of Skyline now for almost 3 weeks and I'm just beginning to feel like going and doing things again. And I didn't have near the problem you did.

So take care of yourself and check in from time to time. We all are concerned about you.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:10 PM, MacGyver said:

I’ll let Doug tell the story of how he came to quit smoking when he returns.  It’ll get your attention. 

This is how I was able to give up cigarettes. I know most of you knew I lost my Kasey in October and I set out to find a new best friend as I have had a dog in my life since age 6. Well I checked out every Dog Rescue Center in my area I thought but there was one very little know to many folks Called "Friends of Hannah" that some one mentioned to me. It was close to my home so I went out to see what they had. I have no idea how this place is not better known as they have about 6 acres of Kennels with about 2 acres under roof and all the dogs can go out and in through Doggy Doors. Well anyway they took me through the kennels and they have probably 150 dogs all barking and excited so I ask one of the young ladies operating the kennel if there was some place where Icould see the dogs one on one and she took me to a room and her and two other girls began bring me dogs 1 at a time and they had brought about 8 ot 10 of what they thought I might be looking for and I visited with each of them but there was no connections between them and I. As I was about to give up one of the girls ask the other about bringing Darby out. She was living in a shell since her owners had given her up for adoption and was not outgoing like the rest but was very timid and shy and would make a good impression on most folks and they ahd about given up on adopting her but they gave it one more try and they brought her into the room for a visit. I could tell when I got to look into her eyes that she was the one but I didn't know if she was accepting my vibs like I was hers. It took about three snacks of Beef Jerky to get her to begin warming up to me and the girls were all watching behind some glass. As Darby began to warm up to me her ears stood up for the first time and he tail was wagging since the first time since she had been there. One of the girls behind the glass began crying and soon 2 of them. I had got out of the chair and down on the floor to her level. It was about 20 minutes before Darby climbed up in my lap and licked my face as I petted her. By then all 3 girls were crying and laughing at the same time. One of them came in the room and I asked them if they had a leash and collar for her and she said yes and I said well you better fetch it cause she is going home with me. And all the girls got so exited. As they were going to get the papers done and her hardware one of the girls told me that the on site vet had told the girls that week earlier that if she did not adopt in a week she would be put down. I was not aware of the fact that Friends of Hannahs is like the last resort dog rescue location and dogs are sent there from other rescue centers after 90 days at their facilities with no prospects of adoption. She had been through 3 facilities prior to the one I go her from. I got her on Wednesday and she was scheduled to be put town on Friday. Once she was in the back seat of my Jeep a totally new Darby showed up and she was happy and excited to be going for a ride. Once home I didn't have to Darby I first met but a new and exciting Darby.

Now to the smoking part!  I sit at my computer every morning like I am right now and she laid on her bed as she is right now. About 3 days after she came home with me every time I would open up a box to get a smoke out I would feel her head on my leg and I would look into her eyes and pet her and then turn to continue to get ready to light up and when I put the smoke in my mouth her front paws were now on my leg and she was staring me right in the eyes. As I reached for my lighter she would put her paw on my arm. So I thought I would try something and took the smoke out of my mouth and put it back in the pack and told her I would not smoke it and she got down and went back on her bed. The same thing happened all morning every time I would try to light up anytime all day I would try and light up she was up in my face putting me on a guilt trip. About the last 2 weeks prior to my heart attack When I got her I was a pack a day guy and within about 5 days before my heart attack in had lost interest in smoking and I think I might have smoked 2 in those last few days and was outside standing up but she was beside me looking up at me. So now I am back home and don't even want a smoke and my few friends that do smoke do't smoke while they are visiting or they step outside. They is my no smoking partner.

ZbteJuS.jpg

Qe3jmiL.jpg

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, n0rlf said:

Dogs are very perceptive. Perhaps she knew what was going on and was warning you. I know mine acts funny when my sugar levels drop. No matter what looks like a friend indeed. I think I like dogs better than most humans!

I totally agree with you on all counts. Especially the first and last comments.

• Moderators

Great story on the smoking part Doug.  Yes, dog's are very perceptive.  Ginger had her teeth cleaned Tuesday and they put her to sleep to do it.  I was a nervous wreck.  Yes, I am severely attached to that little four-legged fur ball.  She drives me crazy to go for walks.  I think my Dr called and talked to her because I am supposed to really increase in that area for overall health.

I know Darby will be a big part of your healing process.  Wishing you a speedy recovery. 

If you need anything you have my email and number.

21 hours ago, RED333 said:

So glad you are back up and running, get some sleep, no one will wake you to tell you your temp or blood pressure.

I had 3 different nurses come into my room while I am sound asleep and wake me up to ask me if I need anything. I bit my tongue and didn't tell them what I really needed because I promised my daughter I would be good to the nurses and not be my normal self while in the hospital but I did have 3 do that.

44 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I had 3 different nurses come into my room while I am sound asleep and wake me up to ask me if I need anything. I bit my tongue and didn't tell them what I really needed because I promised my daughter I would be good to the nurses and not be my normal self while in the hospital but I did have 3 do that.

There's no worse place to try to rest and recuperate than a hospital. 

47 minutes ago, peejman said:

There's no worse place to try to rest and recuperate than a hospital. 

You are so right! On my last stay, I had vitals taken every 2 hours...day and night. Wake you up to do it. And why do the lab vampires come in at 3-5 AM to draw blood?!

I begged the doc to let me out early. Told him exactly what you said. I needed some sleep and sure wasn't getting it there.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, hipower said:

You are so right! On my last stay, I had vitals taken every 2 hours...day and night. Wake you up to do it. And why do the lab vampires come in at 3-5 AM to draw blood?!

I begged the doc to let me out early. Told him exactly what you said. I needed some sleep and sure wasn't getting it there.

The vampires make the rounds early so your test results will be on the chart when the Dr. makes morning rounds. It's a good thing really, it might get you out and home quicker too instead of waiting around all day for results.

22 minutes ago, Tuffus said:

The vampires make the rounds early so your test results will be on the chart when the Dr. makes morning rounds. It's a good thing really, it might get you out and home quicker too instead of waiting around all day for results.

Yes...I know that. But it makes for a better rant. lol

• Like 1