Walked away from this.............

Bob Wright

I got word in church yesterday that a pawn shop had an exquisite Ruger Blackhawk, 7 1/2" .45 Colt, Three Screw.  I went to check on it this morning, and it is indeed a beauty!  The gun looks as if it had never been fired.  There are no handling marks to be seen, and NO CONVERSION PARTS!  I examined the gun fairly closely.  Asking price was $600 + Tennessee sales tax and background check, bringing the price to $655.

I had to walk away.  For $550 or $600 out the door, maybe, but $655 is firm price.

Any collector interested, the shop is AA Pawn Shop on Austin Peay in Memphis.

Bob Wright

Brothers n Sisters....

If you are a Ruger single action aficionado, this is a great deal... There were very few "Three Screw" 45 Colts of any flavor... Most of em were "New Models"... The last one i saw several years ago, i bought... It was north of $500 as i remember... These are great pistolas....

45 leroy...

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Bud's shows $507/522 for the current "blued" model. Plus whatever transfer fee of course.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/70172

- OS

29 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Apples and oranges. The old 3 screw models have considerable collector interest.

That was my point. Only about 100 bucks more for a desirable collector's piece in apparently mint condition seemed quite fair to moi.

- OS

• Like 1

The reason I passed it up is simply the fact that I am not a collector.  My use for such a revolver is strictly for shootin'.  And I wouldn't tolerate having aluminum alloy parts on such a fine revolver.  Immediately would have begun a search for a steel grip frame and ejector rod housing.  And some better looking grips.  The gun, to me, is a project gun from day of purchase.

So in my most magnanimous character, left it to the collector's.

Bob Wright

• Like 1

Bob....

RE: This....

My use for such a revolver is strictly for shootin'.  And I wouldn't tolerate having aluminum alloy parts on such a fine revolver. 

I've burned powder by the pound thru a bicentennial 4 5/8 45 colt with the aluminum frame; along with an equally ancient  4 5/8 41 mag... Both with "hotrod loads" ya cant find in reloading manuals today... Both these fine old pistolas are still in tact today, after thousands of rounds down the pipe...

There is nothin wrong with the "Alcoa" grip frames on these old pistolas... They are a bit lighter than the steel grip frames of today... They make the best "woods carry booger repellent" pistolas ever; including the great glocks... I know, as i carried one or the other of these oldtimers most every time i went shootin or walkin around... As i remember it; the wimpy cowboy action shooters clamored for the steel grip frames as a help in followup wimpy shots with wimpy loads...

The bottom line; there is no finer pistola than the old ruger blackhawks... That from a curmudgeon that owns both blackhawks and colts sa's of both flavors... Your mileage, proclivities, and tastes may vary...

leroy...

11 hours ago, leroy said:

Bob....

RE: This....

I've burned powder by the pound thru a bicentennial 4 5/8 45 ocolt with the aluminum frame; along with an equally ancient  4 5/8 41 mag... Both with "hotrod loads" ya cant find in reloading manuals today... Both these fine old pistolas are still in tact today, after thousands of rounds down the pipe...

There is nothin wrong with the "Alcoa" grip frames on these old pistolas... They are a bit lighter than the steel grip frames of today... They make the best "woods carry booger repellent" pistolas ever; including the great glocks... I know, as i carried one or the other of these oldtimers most every time i went shootin or walkin around... As i remember it; the wimpy cowboy action shooters clamored for the steel grip frames as a help in followup wimpy shots with wimpy loads...

The bottom line; there is no finer pistola than the old ruger blackhawks... That from a curmudgeon that owns both blackhawks and colts sa's of both flavors... Your mileage, proclivities, and tastes may vary...

leroy...

I know what you're saying, but to me, aluminum just doesn't belong on a Single Action revolver.  It just my thing, of course, but I won't have aluminum alloy, ZAMAK, or plastic on my guns.  Brass is O.K  But steel, stag, ivory, exotic woods, or even mother of pearl are traditional.

As to hurting the gun, I have no fear of that.  But hurting the Collector's value is what I was wanting to avoid.  And, yes, I've put many rounds through my Rugers without a hitch.

Bob Wright