On line stock and mutual fund trading

Anybody here use one of these websites to buy and sell stocks and/or mutual funds? Which site do you use? What do you like/dislike about it?

I currently have an investment advisor from Raymond James, and am very unhappy with her performance. I think I can go it alone and be happier.

Just now, monkeylizard said:

I use Fidelity. $4.95 trades and they have some of the best analysis tools around. they're one of (if not the) biggest in the industry and the quality of their software reflects it.

Do they have a human available to talk to if the need arises? I would be moving several accounts; some of them retirement accounts, and do not have the knowledge required to do this correctly.

If my current advisor had this knowledge, or initiative, I wouldn't be looking to move.

I have an IRA at Ameritrade, no complaints about them.  Their website has some analytical tools as well.  I've rec'd some emails from a "human" wanting to know if I wanted to discuss any issues but I'm familiar enough with the stock market and my objectives, etc., to where I do it solo.   I also have a 401K at Fidelity, and they have humans as well that you can talk to if you desire.

I can and do recommend a financial advisor with Raymond James, they are located in the Brentwood area.  PM me if you want their info.  This advisory group has been in business for years, will help as much as you want or need, you can call 'em anytime and talk to a human.  

Edited by jpx2rk
  • Like 1

I have an IRA at Charles Schwab and have had no issues. Online interface and iPhone app work great for trades or research. Their website offers online advising which is easy to understand and implement. I've also talked with their "financial consultants" a handful of times and gotten the help I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Do they have a human available to talk to if the need arises? I would be moving several accounts; some of them retirement accounts, and do not have the knowledge required to do this correctly.

If my current advisor had this knowledge, or initiative, I wouldn't be looking to move.

In my last job they used Fidelity for our 401K's. I called them to roll that over to Edward Jones and the person with Fidelity was helpful and competent. I would have no issues using them if I decided to invest on my own. I like my Edward Jones adviser but I've also considered managing it myself. Let us know how it works out.

• Like 1

I have accounts at TD Ameritrade and E*Trade.  The main reason I have an E*Trade account is the Thomson Reuters research that is available through them.  The last time I tried to deal their "customer service" I was quite disappointed, so any new money goes into TD Ameritrade.  I have been pleased with TD Ameritrade customer service.  They did for me what E*Trade refused to do.

Besides having access to more research, having accounts at different brokers gives me access to more mutual funds because not every broker offers access to every fund.  I also liked the idea of have multiple accounts back in the days when the online brokers weren't all that stable from an online service perspective.  I think that's mostly a non-issue these days.

I have not used the mobile app for either, so I cannot provide any insight there.

If you have a particular mutual fund you want to buy, find out where it's offered and start narrowing the list from there.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Ski said:

I have accounts at TD Ameritrade and E*Trade.  The main reason I have an E*Trade account is the Thomson Reuters research that is available through them.  The last time I tried to deal their "customer service" I was quite disappointed, so any new money goes into TD Ameritrade.  I have been pleased with TD Ameritrade customer service.  They did for me what E*Trade refused to do.

Besides having access to more research, having accounts at different brokers gives me access to more mutual funds because not every broker offers access to every fund.  I also liked the idea of have multiple accounts back in the days when the online brokers weren't all that stable from an online service perspective.  I think that's mostly a non-issue these days.

I have not used the mobile app for either, so I cannot provide any insight there.

If you have a particular mutual fund you want to buy, find out where it's offered and start narrowing the list from there.

I'm just looking to buy index funds. The main thing I need is help with the transfers, roll overs, etc.

4 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I'm just looking to buy index funds. The main thing I need is help with the transfers, roll overs, etc.

I have experience transferring an account from E*Trade to TD Waterhouse (before the Ameritrade merger), and it wasn't hard.  The process was driven by the receiving broker (TD Waterhouse in my case).

• Like 1

Vanguard has the lowest rates for long term mutual funds and are very helpful moving accounts. I have moved all my scattered accounts plus my retirement roll over to Vanguard with their help. I stopped playing with individual stocks a long time ago, I always picked wrong. I'm in an assortment of mutual funds now.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Jeb48 said:

Vanguard has the lowest rates for long term mutual funds and are very helpful moving accounts. I have moved all my scattered accounts plus my retirement roll over to Vanguard with their help. I stopped playing with individual stocks a long time ago, I always picked wrong. I'm in an assortment of mutual funds now.

The only experience I've had with single stocks is when my wife worked for a publicly traded company. We could buy the stocks at a discounted price, and usually knew when something was up to affect the price. We did well with that arrangement. I think they call it "insider trading" lol.

I won't buy single stocks for the most part.

• Moderators
The only experience I've had with single stocks is when my wife worked for a publicly traded company. We could buy the stocks at a discounted price, and usually knew when something was up to affect the price. We did well with that arrangement. I think they call it "insider trading" lol.
I won't buy single stocks for the most part.
Then look hard at Vanguard
  • Like 4
18 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

I use Fidelity. $4.95 trades and they have some of the best analysis tools around. they're one of (if not the) biggest in the industry and the quality of their software reflects it.

+ 1 for this.  Stuff going on with the market I'm up 8% in the last 3 weeks, which is an insane amount.  About to pull back and just let it sit until something drops.

I pulled all my money back in February from my local financial advisor, every month go up $500, next month down 500 did this for years...

I have a work 401k with Charles Schwab its okay..I need to work on it..

I have a IRA and a Roth IRA with Vanguard all my choices, my Roth is kicking ass (10-23%) better get on the Trump Train!!

I hate fees so I am with Fidelity. Been there for a long time. I am playing it pretty conservative at the moment but even with that I am getting real nice returns.

Having said that I am feeling my diversity is good in case something drops out.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, TripleGGG said:

Then look hard at Vanguard

+1 for Vanguard.

I've had the vast majority of my investments with them for five years now, and I'm a happy customer.  I have mutual funds and a Roth IRA through their funds, and they do quite well.  Their brokerage account is a little higher than average on commissions at $7.95 for a trade, but I mainly use it to buy blue chip stocks that pay good dividends.

• Like 1

Keep it simply. I buy the indexes. I use Vanguard. I have brokerage account. I never felt these investment advisors were worth the money. I have shifted my investments mix as I have approached retirement. I'm at 60% stocks and 40% bonds. Satisfied with my performance. Good luck.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

TDAmeritrade has some great software (LOVE Think or Swim), Sogotrade has the absolute lowest prices I've seen (3-bucks per trade), but no human help. Fidelity is pretty good, my current employer's account is over there....

... If you're looking for "active" investing, I'd say TDA or Fidelity. Index funds? Vanguard is top-notch.

if you're looking for investment advice, you don't need another broker.

Edited by ReeferMac
  • Like 1

My old job got me in with t-rowe price for our 401k, I rolled over my old 401k into it and started purchasing a few funds here and there.  What impressed me was the performance during the 09' downturn, and the reports available on the web site.  When I started, you could start a fund by sending in (auto draft) at least $50 a month until you reached the 2K purchase limit.  Now it takes at least 2k to open a fund, but I have done real well so far and the current market trend is making it that much better.  Their targeted funds are a great fit for me, since I don't keep up with trends as good as their fund managers do.

• 4 months later...

Wow, I'm quite the procrastinator. I intend to get this ball rolling before the weekend is over. I looked at everyone's suggestions, and there appear to be several good options. I think I'm gonna give Fidelity a shot.

I so want to strangle that lady at Raymond James!