Hudson H9 - a brief review

ken_mays

I picked one up, $1100 locally. I was surprised to see it actually sitting on the shelf, and not taking it home wasn't an option. 

Handling it, I like the feel of it. Besides being heavy, it is nicely designed from an ergonomic view, feels good in the hand with no contortions needed to operate all controls. The front and backstraps are textured finely and the gun feels smooth in the hand, but when you take a tight firing grip, the checkering helps it stay put. Sights are excellent, and I would only ask for a bit wider rear notch. The front sight appears to fill the notch fully, where I like some light on each side. The front is orange-outlined tritium and the rear has an angled and serrated face, while the front is blunt enough to act as a cocking ledge.

Quality of machining is as good as anything I own. Came in a neat fancy cardboard box with 3 mags and a manual.

Trigger is good, though not as light as some. Gauges 5.5 pounds on my scale but the extremely short takeup (1/8" or so) and equally short reset make it feel a bit lighter than it actually is. The hinged safety trigger shoe works without a hitch and is unnoticeable while shooting. 

Mags easily drop free, though they feature stiffer mag springs than anything I've bought lately. It's a chore to get all 15 rounds in and a mag loader's a welcome tool here. Slide release is easy to use and large enough to find and operate in a hurry without being in the way while shooting.

I put about 80-90 rounds through it (115gr TMJ reloads at about 130 power factor) and no malfunctions were observed.

Recoil is mild compared to a M&P 5" Pro and even a CZ SP01 Shadow. Muzzle rise was minimal and the sight picture quick to reacquire. It seems very comparable to a 9mm Glock or Steyr, though I didn't shoot enough fast strings to really make note of it. It was easy to keep a consistent grip since it doesn't recoil enough to really require a crush grip. It's rare that I pick up a gun that doesn't have some annoying sharp edge or corner that soon stands out, but the H9 doesn't. The mags, though, had sharp corners on the rear of the floorplates that I'm going to round off at some point. 

Accuracy was good but not "OMG" outstanding. Most firing was at about 10-15 yards and it was easy to keep the shots within a 2" bullseye. I think a lighter trigger will tell the true tale there, combined with shooting from a rest. Point of impact appeared to be right at the top of the front sight, the way I happen to prefer. Perhaps it was shooting a hair to the left, but I'm going to shoot it more before touching the sights.

Changes I'd make? I'd like a wider rear notch, as already stated. A pair of slightly more aggressive grips would make me feel better, though maybe not shoot better. I'd take about 1 or 2 pounds off the trigger if it doesn't lighten up within 500 rounds. 

I'm not in a hurry to do any of this, however, which is high praise in my book. I'm quite pleased with the H9 and I'm really looking forward to spending more time with it at the range. I'm frankly impressed that Hudson managed to deliver a completely new design like this and have it in my hands in what I feel is a record amount of time, without a bunch of teething problems that are glaringly apparent.

SaBTF84.jpgNLGD6Lg.jpgVDib868.jpg

• Like 3
  • Administrator

WOW!  Nice to see one of these out in the wild, and on TGO to boot.  :)

Thanks for taking the time do do a write-up and post pictures.  I love seeing new stuff and know a bunch of the other members do too.  I'm really going to be interested in hearing how your continued experience with the H9 go over the next few months.

If that H9 were mine, one thing you can be sure of is I wouldn't part with it.  Ever.  Even if the design ends up a flop somehow (highly unlikely!) that first generation Hudson has got to become a collectible firearm.

Thanks guys!  The only way I can imagine getting rid of it is if it takes off like a rocket and there are suddenly a billion different variations on the market.  Then I might think about getting rid of it for a more advanced version... but I think that's pretty unlikely.

Here are a few of the internals. Takedown is essentially similar to the Beretta 92FS. You push a spring loaded button on the right side of the frame inwards (it's tight, helps if you have a tool like the plastic end of a ballpoint pen) and swivel the take down trapezoid on the left side of the frame downwards. Pull the trigger and the slide comes off the frame. Recoil spring guide stays with the frame, I believe it's screwed in and doesn't need to come out for routine maintenance.

RrKv7kp.jpg

6RmiKhY.jpg

5X6eWWr.jpg

A weapon light is awkward to use. I pretty much can't hit the switches on the TLR-1 with my trigger finger when I have a double handed firing grip.

It's quite easy to hit the switch with my support hand index finger, slightly less easy with my support hand thumb.  With a little practice it would be a very natural movement.

agvB6Mf.jpg

• Like 1

Even after reading some of the online reviews, I lack sufficient knowledge about this handgun to see why everyone thinks it's so great.

Can anyone enlighten me? 

On the other hand, if I carried a gun that weighed 34 ounces empty, I might be able to cancel my gym membership. 

11 hours ago, jgradyc said:

Even after reading some of the online reviews, I lack sufficient knowledge about this handgun to see why everyone thinks it's so great.

Can anyone enlighten me? 

On the other hand, if I carried a gun that weighed 34 ounces empty, I might be able to cancel my gym membership. 

1911 ergos and straight back trigger pull with consistent striker fired action. Meaning a nice straight, crisp trigger pull that feel the same every time, without the need to carry cocked and locked.

I see a lot of benefits to it, and I have been interested in one since they were first announced.

The "big deal" about the Hudson is the recoil spring design and bore axis.  By moving it in front of the trigger guard,  they were able to lower the centerline of the bore axis, which is supposed to decrease muzzle flip.

I don't know if the juice was worth the squeeze on THAT benefit, but there are enough other neat things about the gun that I liked what I saw and thought it would be a neat one to own.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update: I put another 250 rounds through my H9.   

No malfunctions to report.  

Groups continue to be pretty good but I think I could see better groups with a pound removed from the trigger pull.

I also notice that if you put too much finger on the trigger, the bottom of the trigger can cause irritation as you can get a slight pinch between the trigger shoe and bottom of the trigger guard.  Not really a big deal in the scheme of things.  

I do want a shorter and thinner front sight.  I have to cover the point of impact with the front sight, which I'm not used to doing.   I like to have the POI just at the top of the front sight.  But the orange front sight is easy to pick up and center, so I could live with the width of it if it were a bit shorter.

I continue to be impressed with the feel and ease of operation of the controls.

So far main issues are !

1) They all shoot low!

2) The recoil guide rod comes loose and is very hard/screwing back in, held in place with Loc-tite!

3) Mags can hang up being inserted and have to be pulled out and not inserted at a angle, seems to hang up on trigger bar!

4) Hudson is aware of these issues and working to resolve them!

• Moderators
So far main issues are !

1) They all shoot low!

2) The recoil guide rod comes loose and is very hard/screwing back in, held in place with Loc-tite!

3) Mags can hang up being inserted and have to be pulled out and not inserted at a angle, seems to hang up on trigger bar!

So is this what you throwing your undivided support behind a firearm looks like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/24/2018 at 1:01 PM, akdude1 said:

So far main issues are !

1) They all shoot low!

Well aren't you all sunshine and roses again...

Seems like the guy that actually ones one is quite happy with his and his evaluation seems to be honest enough, he likes it but its not "perfection" but then again early adopters sometimes deal with things like these for the pleasure of being the first.

Have a great day!