Parris Island

res308

My oldest boy is leaving for Parris Island next month. He will be graduating in May. Does anyone have any real live first hand experience with Parris Island and the surrounding area? 

I've talked to the provost there about weapons already. That particular officer was surprised to be talking to a cop that actually knew about LEOSA. Got two or three different stories from different people. I'll talk to them further when I get on base and get the low-down on that subject. Might leave them at Port Royal PD for the first day until I see how things really are.

Any areas and/or hotels to stay away from? And hotels that are recommended and close to the base? I'll be up there for about three days, so I won't be in the hotel room the whole time.

Just trying to get my ducks in a row ahead of time.

Nothing salient to share about the area, sorry. You're already well ahead in thought by contacting the Provost Marshall. Just wanted to say congrats to your son for stepping up to serve.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk. OhShoot very much likes to know when we're using Tapatalk.

Thanks. I blame this on my family. My Dad was Army, his older brother was a South Carolina state trooper. I've been a cop the last 22 years, my brother joined the Marine Corps. My oldest son is leaving next month for the Marine Corps, and my youngest boy (17) has his mind set on a career with the Army Rangers. I don't guess we'll be breaking this line anytime soon. 

• Like 3

THird generation here. One of my great uncles was on a destroyer at Normandy, laying down 11" fire on the Atlantic Wall. My late father was a tanker and spent a very bad time watching thru the periscope as the Soviets built the Wall. I was (God help us) intel, but the muddy boot type. 

5 hours ago, SWCUMBERLAND said:

THird generation here. One of my great uncles was on a destroyer at Normandy, laying down 11" fire on the Atlantic Wall. My late father was a tanker and spent a very bad time watching thru the periscope as the Soviets built the Wall. I was (God help us) intel, but the muddy boot type. 

Now that's some history right there!

• 1 month later...

Show up on graduation day, don’t ask or tell about personal weapons, Parris Island is a crap hole and always will be, it’s part of training. Best offgoing to Beaufort until graduation day. Congrats on your son, semper fi !! I spent 14 weeks at PI, it’s a place you don’t ever forget.. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a Drill Instructor on MCRD Parris Island. I would recommend staying in Beaufort. The Hilton Garden Inn is nice and convenient to PI. Make sure you enjoy the great seafood while you're there. Dockside is probably the best. There are also some nice restaurants on the waterfront in downtown Beaufort. You'll have plenty of time to see PI on Family Day visitation (Thurs). Arrive early enough to beat work and visitor traffic to get a good spot to watch them on their motivational run on Thurs morning. "Traditions" is a nice place to eat lunch with your new Marine. It's a buffet and reasonably priced. Make sure to see the museum for sure. Don't bring any weapons on to Parris Island. They do random vehicle checks and you will be arrested if they find one. I had friend a few months ago that forgot his edc was in the glove box and spent 11 hours in jail and then dealing with the aftermath. I believe the Hilton Garden Inn has in room safes for storage. Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Can't say about Parris Island, but when we went to see our youngest graduate basic and infantry school at FT. Benning (2008) it was no guns allowed plus I had to show vehicle registration and proof of insurance to drive on the base. I'd think it would be pretty much the same for all military bases. 

FYI...

8. If I am visiting Parris Island, can I bring firearms on base?

Visitors are not permitted to bring firearms on base, including off-duty civilian law enforcement personnel. For military members or other base personnel or residents, contact the Provost Marshal’s Office for more information on registering firearms and other regulations at 843-228-3444/2995.

http://www.mcrdpi.marines.mil/Visitors/FAQ/#q8

Thanks for the info jdgreen. 

That is still one thing that makes my blood boil. The absolute contempt and disdain with which the military and federal government treats civilian law enforcement. I was stuck on the navy base in Meridian, MS for a week for a school back in 2006. We were all officially on duty and in patrol cars and we still had to lock our weapons in the trunk. 22 years out here working the streets with the responsibility and liability of packing a gun for a living and having to face the dregs of society on a daily basis, but we can't be trusted. Never made sense to me. Same with some federal buildings. I know that'll never change anything but that's another soapbox issue of mine and I'll never change my viewpoint on it.

I've been looking into some of the small apartment rentals instead of a hotel. I need to do some calling around and try to find one where I can check out late in the day on that Friday so I can keep my gear stored there while I'm on base. It would almost be worth paying for an extra day just to be able to do that. 

Edited by res308

Anytime. I definitely understand the frustration. I felt the same way while I was in. The disdain is equally applied to service members as well. I was reminded several times that we're there to protect other people's rights, not our own. The service members have to check their 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th Amendments at the door when they sign on the dotted line. Good luck with your trip and let me know if I can help with any other info while you're there.