Queen Cutlery closes

Hate ta see this... My guess is that they are done... Great Eastern Cutlery finished Queen in the high end slipjoint market, and Case finished em on the sensibly priced knife market... Here's hopin they survive, but i aint holdin my breath...

slipjoint leroy the hawkbill curmudgeon...

• Admin Team

GEC is turning out some truly great blades these days. They’d be tough to compete with.

I hate to see a maker go, but I question how big the market space for non-tacticool knives that seem to have eaten the world these days really is?

Since the free market doesn’t much care if you live or die, I expect this is the end of the line for them.  Maybe someone will buy the brand’s name in an asset sale, but that sure won’t soften the blow for the folks losing their jobs. 

• Like 1

Mac hit the 64 bazillion dollar question here....

I hate to see a maker go, but I question how big the market space for non-tacticool knives that seem to have eaten the world these days really is?

My guess is that it's small and gettin smaller as us old curmudgeons go over "The Sunset Hill"... There are lotsa folks out there that aint ever seen a slipjoint knife, i think... I generally keep a slip joint and a "tacticool" knife in my pocket at all times, but everybody aint like me...

sad leroy...

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

One of my daughters got her first knife this year.  She chose an old school slipjoint sodbuster.   

I’ve got several GEC models, and I’m always amazed at the quality of their builds. 

There’s something to be said for a good high carbon steel, too.  Despite all of the amazing powdered super steels these days, it’s good to have a blade that is easy to get super sharp and will take on some character over time.  

• Like 3
On 1/11/2018 at 8:23 AM, leroy said:

Mac hit the 64 bazillion dollar question here....

My guess is that it's small and gettin smaller as us old curmudgeons go over "The Sunset Hill"... There are lotsa folks out there that aint ever seen a slipjoint knife, i think... I generally keep a slip joint and a "tacticool" knife in my pocket at all times, but everybody aint like me...

sad leroy...

I currently have a Spyderco Resilience clipped into my right, front pocket, a Case Sodbuster, Jr. (yellow handled, CV model) riding in the bottom of the same pocket and a Victorinox Super Tinker SAK in my left pocket.  Do I need to carry all of them?  No, not really.  But I really like the Resilience for its size, the edge I have on it and the one-hand opening aspect.  That said, the Sodbuster and Sodbuster, Jr. are two of my favorite pocket knife styles ever.  A Jr. was my daily carry for years back during high school and after.  Victorinox are also high up on my list and an SAK was my daily carry through much of college, before I had ever even held a plier-based multitool.  So I pretty much daily combine a new favorite with two old favorites and it makes me happy - whether I ever 'need' all of them or not. 

• Like 2