Flashlights

I am tired of purchasing LED flashlights that don't last a year. I have a friend that purchased a Coast brand LED and it seems to be better quality than what I have been purchasing. I ordered one from Amazon and it was a tad too large to carry in a pocket. I went to Walmart yesterday and they had a 3 AAA Coast (370 max lumens) the size I wanted so I purchased it for 19.97. It does have a 90 lumen setting to conserve batteries.

Do any of you guys have any preferences when it comes to LED flashlights? I looked at the Surefire and Streamlite brands but they are 50. 00 and up in price. Don't think I need one that bad.   

Edited by pop pop
1 hour ago, pop pop said:

I am tired of purchasing LED flashlights that don't last a year. I have a friend that purchased a Coast brand LED and it seems to be better quality than what I have been purchasing. I ordered one from Amazon and it was a tad too large to carry in a pocket. I went to Walmart yesterday and they had a 3 AAA Coast (370 max lumens) the size I wanted so I purchased it for 19.97. It does have a 90 lumen setting to conserve batteries.

Do any of you guys have any preferences when it comes to LED flashlights? I looked at the Surefire and Streamlite brands but they are 50. 00 and up in price. Don't think I need one that bad.   

You should be able to spend $30 and get a flashlight that will last for a long, long time. You'll be more likely to lose it than break it. I like Fenix, Olight and Streamlite. Try Going Gear.com for great deals on affordable products. They are family owned and sometimes cheaper than Amazon. 

I'll link a few you might like.

600 lumens for $40 http://goinggear.com/flashlights/olight-s1a-baton-600-lumen-1-x-aa-cree-xm-l2-led-flashlight.html?___SID=U

This JetBeam light would fit in a pocket. I have one of their lights at home. http://goinggear.com/flashlights/jetbeam-jet-uv-3535-uv-365nm-led-flashlight.html?___SID=U

Another option, http://goinggear.com/fenix-e05-2014-edition-1-x-aaa-cree-xp-e2-85-lumen-led-flashlight.html?___SID=U

And lastly, http://goinggear.com/flashlights/jetbeam-jet-ii-mk-1-x-16340-510-lumens-cree-xp-l-hi-led-flashlight.html?___SID=U

There are dozens of options that will fit in a pocket. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Top of my list is Surefire, followed by Streamlight, followed by Fenix.

I've had decent luck with the Streamlight single AAA lights in the Protac family. Battery life is ok in them but not great. Right now I'm giving the Streamlight Protac 1L-AA a go since I got it as a Christmas gift. It takes either the CR123A batteries or a single AA. I'm thinking it runs somewhere in the $30 range. 

I have had great luck with Fenix flashlights. I have 3 and I bought one for my wife to carry in addition to that. Here is the one I carry everywhere I go in a pocket.

https://www.amazon.com/Fenix-Flashlights-130-Lumen-Flashlight-Black/dp/B00I14HLLS/ref=sr_1_sc_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1515772889&sr=1-3-spell&keywords=feni+flashlight

Very small and good battery life with  one AA rechargeable. I let the alkaline batteries sit in my LD41 too long, they leaked and ruined the carriage that holds the batteries. I called Fenix and explained it was all my fault and wanted to buy a new carriage but they sent me a new carriage anyway at no charge.

• Like 1

I have a ThruNight 1000 lumen light that meets all the same drop (I've tested that) and water resistance as SureFire.  It's been a great light for 4 yr at a cost of $69 (4 yr ago.)  Also, it is neutral color which I like much better than the cool white that most LEDs have. 

1 hour ago, gjohnsoniv said:

Top of my list is Surefire, followed by Streamlight, followed by Fenix.

I've had decent luck with the Streamlight single AAA lights in the Protac family. Battery life is ok in them but not great. Right now I'm giving the Streamlight Protac 1L-AA a go since I got it as a Christmas gift. It takes either the CR123A batteries or a single AA. I'm thinking it runs somewhere in the $30 range. 

I have a Streamlight ProTac 2L that I've used an EDC for years. I just got a 1L for Christmas. I use CR123 in them both and can tell a difference in brightness over AA.

Edited by monkeylizard
48 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

I have a Streamlight ProTac 2L that I've used an EDC for years. I just got a 1L for Christmas. I use CR123 in them both and can tell a difference in brightness over AA.

Oh yeah, no doubt. Didn't think to mention that. I think the cr123a is 350 lumens and the AA is 150.

• Like 1

Lots of information here. I've had all kinds of similar pocket lights. I seem to prefer the push button on the end cap more so than the twist on type. Actually just added the Streamlight ProTac 2L to my Amazon order, and looking at the 1L version as well.

I'm sure I'm no different than the rest of you guys, I have small lights stashed all around the house for any need that might arise.

Don't have a Costco membership any more, but I bought several 3 packs of lights there 2/3 years ago. Don't know that I've seen them again. They were Fiet Electric brand.

I've become partial to Nitecore lights. I must be aproaching a dozen now. They're all over the place. They have an "EC" series that is side switched general use light that's reasonably priced and the "MT" series that offers more tactical features including a red led for preserving night vision for a bit more.

Most have 18650 rechargeable batteries and I keep 2-4 spares on a charger all the time.

I've modified my EDC light by putting a small piece of heat shrink tube on the internal switch. This makes it much harder to mistakenly click the tail switch. It still can be clicked on if wanted by mashing it, but this makes it more of an intermittent switch.

I carry a Coast G10 in my pocket. Been a couple years now, it has went through the wash dropped more times that I can remember and still works. The dust cover over the reflect was lost some time in the past. It runs on 1 AAA and is very small. $5.35 on Amazon currently https://www.amazon.com/Coast-Inspection-Pocket-Light-Black/dp/B0015VY4SC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515815209&sr=8-1&keywords=Coast+G10

It is not the brightest light but it small and cheap. I have much brighter lights but cost to much if I loose them (and I have lost a few) and they are big in comparison.

Not sure why, but Im a sucker for flashlights.  years of night work in the military  I guess has taught me the value of a good light.  Being a day worker now, I dont have a real need for a high power daily carry, so I have a Streamlight  Stylus Pro that I can carry in my shirt pocket with my pens.  Of course, in my car and in my go back and at my home I have much more powerful lights, including a Fenix,  but the small little Streamlight meets my day worker everyday needs.  The one I use has disposable AAA batteries, but they also make a usb rechargeable one too.

Edited by JAlexanderMSgt
1 hour ago, phiferran said:

Seems like a good single mode flashlight is harder to find these days. I want to click the button and know it is on the brightest setting and no strobe option. Guess I'm old fashioned. 

I'm in total agreement with you on this.

How much light do you need? What battery size do you prefer?

For a AAA keychain light, the Astrolux A01 is hard to beat at $9.95. It has four modes, very low, med, high, and strobe. I use rechargeable batteries. I like it better than my Thrunite Ti3. https://www.banggood.com/Astrolux-A01-Nichia-219B-102LM-AAA-Mini-Waterproof-Keychain-EDC-LED-Flashlight-p-1026854.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

For an 18650 battery LED flashlight, you can't beat the BLF A6 at its pricepoint. It has 7 modes, including a firefly super low and a turbo high. It is the brightest 18650 LED flashlight I've ever owned. It's currently $26.95, but every few weeks, it's on sale for $19.95. Turbo only lasts for about 2 minutes before it automatically drops down to high, but it is bright! It's roughly as bright as one car headlight beam on low. The 1A cool white LED bulb is the brightest. The 5A very yellow light is too yellow. I don't care for the yellow light. It looks dim to me. https://www.banggood.com/BLF-A6-XPL-1600LM-7-4modes-EDC-LED-Flashlight-p-991823.html?rmmds=search&ID=518106&cur_warehouse=CN

I don't like AA LED lights, but I own several, keeping one in the door pocket of my cars, my tool box, and my gym bag because they're cheap. I prefer the ones with a head that slides in and out to narrow the beam for distance use. Something like this one for about $6. Avoid the really cheap ones for $2-$3. They're junk. On the other hand, even these are better than most of those 3-AAA LED lights sold in WalMart and Home Depot.  https://www.banggood.com/Elfeland-Q5-3-Modes-Zoomable-LED-Flashlight-AA14500-p-1090778.html?rmmds=detail-left-hotproducts__4&cur_warehouse=CN

All my lights have tail switches, except the AAA lights, which are all twisties. I recently bought a light with a side switch and seem to fumble forever to find the switch in the dark. 

• Like 1

I have a Fenix PD32 something that I got 5 or 6 years ago with an extra battery.  I have had no issues with it and it is very bright.   It will light up anything in my back yard.  

Draw backs are the brightness selector which has 5 or so settings, which may be nice for every day use but could be an issue in a tactical situation.  It does roll.  It will not stand up. 

Battery life is crazy long.  I’ve never had it fail  I just switch out batteries if I feel like I’ve used it for very long and throw the used one on the charger.  

Also, I have noticed my pocket getting hot and somehow my flashlight was on.  It could have been my error or one of my kids poking the button.  Doh!

Cost me less than $100 with a spare battery.  Charger can charge two but the flashlight uses one. 

23 hours ago, phiferran said:

Seems like a good single mode flashlight is harder to find these days. I want to click the button and know it is on the brightest setting and no strobe option. Guess I'm old fashioned. 

That’s one of my requirements also, so I’m looking at the Streamlight PROTAC 2L-X. (Its programmable)

The other requirement I have is that it can use either 2 123A’s or a rechargeable (18650).

I have a surefire Executive Elite E2E; would like to find something like it in the under $50 range. Just started looking.

I keep a PD35 Tactical on my belt all the time. With a few rechargeable 18650's it's pretty damn handy, stupid bright and relatively tough. (the most torture I've done to it was throw it about 50 feet across the shop and let it bounce off concrete with the beam on. Not a flicker or fail). Also have a diffuser tip in my pocket for it, comes in really handy if you're stuck working on something and need to go hands free or just have light spilling out like a lantern instead of a focused beam.

I've had some of their smaller LD models which have been excellent, I just keep losing them out of my pocket so I keep the PD on the cheesy nylon holster it came with and haven't lost it in the two years I've had it.

The Streamlight Protacs are nice too and I might get one to run on an AR since they've got the WML version now. My G19 is a home for one of their TLR-1 HL's as well.

Bedside I've got an old Surefire G2 that's been converted to LED. 

Olights are supposed to be pretty durable and have a large fanbase too. 

I guess the big thing is just deciding how big a light you want, what battery type and how much you wanna spend. I've had my share of the cheap 30 bucks and less CR123 powered lights and they're almost always lacking. I've got two of these and they're ok for basic around the house stuff but won't ever ride on me or my guns. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074J7JXKG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's also half as bright as the Fenix with similar lumen ratings (which they probably flat out lied about though lumens aren't the end all for measuring light output but that's a whole new rabbit hole to go down) but still plenty bright for keeping around for power outages and what not.

Honestly, I think you'd be incredibly pleased with this for a nice all around light.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88061-ProTac-Professional-Tactical/dp/B01G75P1SC/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1516084925&sr=1-4&keywords=streamlight+dual

Something I really like about the Streamlight stuff is the double bent pocket clip. If you wear a baseball cap frequently, it's tailor made just for you as it'll clip on the bill. The Dual Fuel is interesting because it'll take either one CR123 battery for the max out put, or run on 1 AA at around 120 lumen so it's even easier to find batteries for it. 

An E12 would be cheaper and just a AA powered light too if you wanna go that route.

https://www.amazon.com/Fenix-Flashlights-130-Lumen-Flashlight-Black/dp/B00I14HLLS/ref=sr_1_8?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1516085197&sr=1-8&keywords=fenix+ld12

I've lost three of these before I started carrying the PD35 (mine were older models that were half as bright and no USB recharging either)

https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Flashlight-rechargeable-EdisonBright-battery/dp/B01N78Y3X5/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1516085347&sr=1-5&keywords=fenix+ld12

I'd highly recommend not balking at the price though, you're just getting much better products that'll last instead of repeating the same mistake. It sucks when you lose them though...