It’s snowing

wttam

4 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

I was here in Jan. '85 when we had the 12" of "a few flurries with no accumulation". That was the year that the kids who rode school buses didn't get home until after midnight.

Hadn't thought about that one in a long time. It was a mess all right. I was working on 1st near the Stockyard Resturant at the time. Left work at 3:30 to drive 11 miles to Hermitage. I got home about 11:30, and drove so many side roads and backstreets trying to get out of downtown I got lost several times. lol

Had an old 67 Pontiac Catalina then. Big honking gas tank on it. I was on fumes by the time I hit Donelson. 

Good ol' days, right?

8 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

I was here in Jan. '85 when we had the 12" of "a few flurries with no accumulation". That was the year that the kids who rode school buses didn't get home until after midnight.

3 hours ago, hipower said:

Hadn't thought about that one in a long time. It was a mess all right. I was working on 1st near the Stockyard Resturant at the time. Left work at 3:30 to drive 11 miles to Hermitage. I got home about 11:30, and drove so many side roads and backstreets trying to get out of downtown I got lost several times. lol

Had an old 67 Pontiac Catalina then. Big honking gas tank on it. I was on fumes by the time I hit Donelson. 

Good ol' days, right?

That was my first winter after moving here, "up north" near the Kentucky border - 23".  I thought I had moved to Alaska ...

Today's snow was probably about 6" or so, hard to tell with the wind blowing it into drifts ...

23 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

That was my first winter after moving here, "up north" near the Kentucky border - 23".  I thought I had moved to Alaska ...

Today's snow was probably about 6" or so, hard to tell with the wind blowing it into drifts ...

Guessing you are in West Tn? That's where the Channel 2 guys said there was that much snow.

Snowed most of the day yesterday, probably 7 to 8 inches by the time it quit. Had a knock on my door about 7 oclock last night, guy had tried to turn around at the intersection of the main highway and road I live on, drifts were so bad couldn't tell where the road was, he was going to his girlfriends house, girlfriend being a pharmists and would have to go into Murray, Ky to work today, he was going to drive her to work in his 4 wheel drive truck. So went down and cranked the tractor and pulled him out of the ditch and sent him on his way. Hard on a 71 year old to walk in that deep snow, had me puffing hard by the time I got back into the house. Hopefully sun will break through and snow will melt off of roads today. will have to get out in it today to feed hay, not as bad as yesterday as was snowing so hard could hardly see where to drive down the road to put out hay for cows.

17 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I was. They didn’t get me moving until 0100. Spent the rest of the night on the on ramp at Parker’s crossing. 

Note to self: big ol" king size comforter tucked behind the seat as standard equipment, and a hand wound alarm clock set to go off on the hour to start the vehicle up and run 10 minutes per hour.

Odd thing out here in NV to have our auto department getting called "Do you guys have snow chains?" But then again we  got  Mt. Charleston 20 miles away and 9000 ft. ASL and DOES get cold to the point of snow.

The train of Clippers that are swooping down outa Canada, onto the Central states, then going east and more or less riding up the Appalachians, look to be a bitter bunch. Historical and hysterical snows in SC and Florida (FLORIDA!?) ... one laughs at the start, and then the ohshyt factor sets in at the wrecks n lack of preparedness.

Second note to self: make sure whatever truck can take a plow blade.

On 1/14/2018 at 7:13 AM, Someotherguy said:

Looks like Monday night into Tuesday is going to be interesting for middle/east Tennessee.. Another system moving in:dirty:

Started snowing again here (northwest Tn.) at noon.  Forecast is for another 3 inches or so ...

• Like 1
7 hours ago, No_0ne said:

Based on the prepper threads here, i imagine half the folks on TGO have a 50 year supply ...

About a year worth, tyvem. They are coming with me out to TN.

Seems to me that your fraction might be off by a fraction. Closer to three quarters, I would gather.

SWC a/k/a KI7CIL