Wanted: (New) Ammo Cans

GlockSpock

• Moderators

I'm kicking myself for not buying one of the lots of 12 over Black Friday. I'm trying to find the best place to buy quality cans:

New

Qty: 6-12

Metal

.50 Cal

Preferably No Markings

I'm scouring the internet, it looks like currently there aren't any super great deals currently. Anyone know of a place to buy quality ones?

I'm very happy with the lot of 30/50 cal cans I bought off eBay. That lot of 24 was a bit less than 250 and free shipping. All used/surplus military cans. Excellent condition.

I had a few scratches on 3 of them, and one with a bit of surface rust on a bottom corner. I scuffed it and sprayed with a Krylon sealer. I've heard no bad comments from those who split the order with me.

Currently, there are still quite a few available on ebay. I can't post the links, not proficient with the necessary procedure.

An example shows 12 50 cal cans for 99.99 with free shipping, another shows 8 for 80 and free shipping. I've been very happy with what I've ordered and will continue to do so as I need more. There are many sizes available...from 30, 50, and I saw up to 120 mm. Just take a look. You might find something interesting.

I'm sure those from Academy are good quality, but I still prefer the military surplus cans. Fanaticism? Loyalty? Whatever, good deals on them on ebay.

I've received every order within 5 days, sometimes even 3 days.

JMO.

14 minutes ago, SWCUMBERLAND said:

Oddly enough, Costco was selling .30/.50 lookalike cans... foolish me, I did not get a quote. One inside the other, Od green. When next I go there (next week) I shall have better data.

Costco IS in TN, yes?

An old post somewhere says that 2 pack used to be $20. 

• Moderators
The Costco and Academy cans are functionally the same - I’d guess they’re coming off the same line somewhere.  

I doubt any of them are made domestically.  

So is this you vouching for them? Any reason to spend anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Admin Team
5 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

So is this you couching for them? Any reason to spend anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, they’re fine. 

I mean, it’s an ammo can - not a Pelican case.  Use it for what it’s intended and you’ll be fine.  I wouldn’t stash any fancy lenses in them.

Gaskets seem fine. I wouldn’t try to raft the Colorado with them.  

They stack well.  Drop them full and they’ll dent - just like the originals.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, CZ9MM said:

Actually, I just found this:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/game-winner-hunting-utility-box#repChildCatSku=114492550

Imported, I believe, but if anyone can vouch for their quality I think it's a go.

I have grabbed a few from Academy in years past, I can't say if it was those or not. But $10 a can is my limit. I have a dozen or so. If they are the same can I have, they are GTG.

13 hours ago, CZ9MM said:

Actually, I just found this:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/game-winner-hunting-utility-box#repChildCatSku=114492550

Imported, I believe, but if anyone can vouch for their quality I think it's a go.

I bought myself several of these exact cans from academy at that price in November and they are as good as my military issue cans. Bought several more as gifts right before Christmas, all have been great quality, good rubber gaskets, and nice paint jobs. I paint all my cans black anyway so I bought the black and saved myself some time and spray paint money. Shame on you for bringing this up, now I need to get a few more before the price goes up.

On 1/12/2018 at 12:49 PM, CZ9MM said:

I'm kicking myself for not buying one of the lots of 12 over Black Friday. I'm trying to find the best place to buy quality cans:

New

Qty: 6-12

Metal

.50 Cal

Preferably No Markings

I'm scouring the internet, it looks like currently there aren't any super great deals currently. Anyone know of a place to buy quality ones?

https://www.midwayusa.com/military-surplus-ammo-cans/br?cid=23390&sortBy=1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/12/2018 at 12:23 PM, SWCUMBERLAND said:

Oddly enough, Costco was selling .30/.50 lookalike cans... foolish me, I did not get a quote. One inside the other, Od green. When next I go there (next week) I shall have better data.

UPDATE the .30/.50 sized ammo can sets Costco is selling are $18.97/set. Gasketed, steel, flat OD, no markings.

SWC

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:26 PM, Raoul said:

I bought a couple of cases of.30cal cans from Wideners several years back. The 30 cal are easy to stack and easy to handle full. Anything larger gets awful heavy.

You are so very right, Raoul! I've stored ammo in the 50cal cans for years. But for some strange reason, as I've gotten older, those cans of 45 sure have gotten heavier!

I used to load one of the 50 cal cans with all my shooting ammo, and pack my range bag. The were managable back then.

I since learned to take 2 pistols or less in my bag. 

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

I'm in the Raoul and hipower club, .30 is the way to go.

I just downsized some 9mm from a 50 to a 30 and like magic, I had Hercules muscles.

Have all that 7.62x25 I bought from BersaGuy plus some in a .50...metric ton

I have 2 plastic 30s as a result of an ammo combo deal, no complaints.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

Wal-mart rolled theirs back to $6.99.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stout-Stuff-Metal-Ammo-Box/181890587

Thanks for the link, buddy. I don't like the made in China part. But in reading some of the reviews, I noticed a comment about a wider rubber sealing gasket on them. I'll have to check that out. That might be good for a little idea I have. 

7 hours ago, hipower said:

Thanks for the link, buddy. I don't like the made in China part. But in reading some of the reviews, I noticed a comment about a wider rubber sealing gasket on them. I'll have to check that out. That might be good for a little idea I have. 

Not a problem. I am debating some. I have really thought about getting one of these and I would need cans, not the crates I have. I have seen these cabinets cheaper. I still keep hoping I can just pick up a decent deal on another cheap safe to stack ammo in. I really like the idea of securing it a bit

http://www.cabelas.com/product/STACK-ON-FIREPOWER-AMMO-CABINET/2045265.uts?slotId=1

10 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Not a problem. I am debating some. I have really thought about getting one of these and I would need cans, not the crates I have. I have seen these cabinets cheaper. I still keep hoping I can just pick up a decent deal on another cheap safe to stack ammo in. I really like the idea of securing it a bit

http://www.cabelas.com/product/STACK-ON-FIREPOWER-AMMO-CABINET/2045265.uts?slotId=1

Interesting, send you a pm later.