Rough Rider

1 hour ago, tbenedict said:

I'm pretty sure that brand is a SMKW exclusive.  

That's what I thought, but there are many online retailers and apparently there are brick and morton stores out there. Sure wish I could find one "local".

46 minutes ago, hughd said:

That's what I thought, but there are many online retailers and apparently there are brick and morton stores out there. Sure wish I could find one "local".

If you ever want a specific model, let me know I can get any of those for you but I do not have any in stock

Edited by willis68

I guarantee you it will be worth your time to drive to Sevierville, to pick one of these knives up.  They are cheap, but if you get to pick the exact one you want and are picky, they are good knives.  But that's not the reason you want to drive to SMKWs.  Trust me! :)

• Like 1

hughd, if you've never been to SMKW it is quite an experience! Biggest place that I have ever been in that is just knife after knife after knife.

Go if you have lots of money, lots of will power, and knowledge of what you want. The place will get you into deep, deep, kimchee if you are not careful.

That said, it is a fun place to go, and I think the big gun store( name escapes me at the moment) is still right behind SMKW as well.

• Like 1

Just did a little google search, since I wasn't familiar with Rough Rider brand. As you say, there are many locations online to get them. 

Amazon claims to have over 2000 listings for them. I looked over a few to see what they were. Seems like some very nice traditional knives.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, willis68 said:

If you ever want a specific model, let me know I can get any of those for you but I do not have any in stock

Thank you willis, but I assume you would be ordering them as well. I have had pretty good luck with fit and finish but, walk and talk is hit or miss. The more talk the better for me.

Edited by hughd
9 minutes ago, hipower said:

Just did a little google search, since I wasn't familiar with Rough Rider brand. As you say, there are many locations online to get them. 

Amazon claims to have over 2000 listings for them. I looked over a few to see what they were. Seems like some very nice traditional knives.

Check out what some of the knife forums have to say about them. Lot of bang for the buck. 

4 hours ago, hughd said:

Check out what some of the knife forums have to say about them. Lot of bang for the buck. 

I'll do that, although I think I will stop the knife buying. It's a habit I just can't afford to keep up. Pistols are bad enough. lol

On 1/14/2018 at 3:19 PM, hipower said:

I'll do that, although I think I will stop the knife buying. It's a habit I just can't afford to keep up. Pistols are bad enough. lol

That is the beauty of Rough Rider knives - they make it so that you CAN afford to collect them.  Not likely to ever increase in value, I would say, but still gives a good feeling and they are, in my experience, good knives.  It is worth buying in person, though.  I usually inspect every specimen SMKW has of a model I am planning to get.  Normally, there may be one with really bad fit and finish, one with not great fit and finish, the majority with acceptable fit and finish and one or two that are just about perfect.

I recently picked up a Rough Rider stockman in which the main blade is a lock-back.  It is from a line that they have which feature glow in the dark handle scales.  I already had a Trapper in which the main blade locks, also with the glow in the dark scales.  I think they were around $10 each and I can see eventually trying to have the entire 'glow in the dark' line.  The steel Rough Rider uses  is just a basic stainless and they are made in China but I would not be ashamed to be seen with them in my pocket.

Edited by JAB

I have one of their Lock Back Trappers, great pocket knife.  I'm not much into tactical these days, mostly because everyone else is. I also have a Copperhead that was given to be and which introduced me to the brand.  It's also a great little knife.  Later on, I added a locking Canoe.  That's my fancy occasions knife.  I always have a pocket knife on me. :)

SMKW works has a great gun counter and they sale ammunition at really good prices.  And Bud's Gun Shop and Range is just a block away (an easy walk) as is a very good Coleman Store, if you are into camping. :)