Help me get a new project off the ground! Benefactors, a special perk for you too.

TGO David

• Administrator

Hey gang...

I could use your help getting a new project off the ground and there's a special perk for our Benefactor members as well.  In fact, there's a special perk for anyone who helps but more on that in a moment.

For a few years now I have wanted to take the formula that we've used here on TGO and use it to create something similar on a larger scale.  I've also wanted to get into podcasting because I think there is something exciting about that media format.  While you may be asking if the world really needs another gun forum or podcast, I think the answer is that there is certainly room at the table for something done right.

Purely because we have managed to assemble some of the best people on the planet, TGO has grown over the past decade into something I couldn't have imagined it would be back in 2007.  You all are the reason this place works and why it's interesting, and I have to believe that there are a bunch more of us out there across the country who would like a comfortable place to come together too.

That's why I have put together a new community that I hope you will help me get going.  It may be slow for a while, but that's OK.  We didn't build TGO overnight and this new community won't be any different.  It takes some time to get things rolling, but what really helps is activity.  It's like walking into a bar with your friends... if the place is empty, you're probably going to go somewhere else, right?

Shooters Nation (http://www.shootersnation.com) is the new site and today is a "soft opening" for it.  I think I've got most of the basics running, but there will probably be some hiccups to deal with.  If you could help me, I'd appreciate it.

For those of you who are TGO Benefactors, let me know when you register over there and I will add you as a Site Supporter for the first year six months there too.  Feel free to go ahead and list anything for sale there that you've listed for sale here once you have that access!  :)

For those of you who aren't but want to help out, once you hit 50 posts over there, your account will upgrade to a "Founding Member" which will let you enjoy the same benefits for the first year as well.  After the first year, I'll figure something out.  But in the meantime, a little bit of sweat-equity will give you the same perks as a "benefactor".

I am using the Xenforo software over there, which is a little bit different than what we use here.  I've had a license for it for a long, long while now (as long as there's been a TGO and then some) but never really had a use for it.  I was excited to give it a shot and hope you'll like it.  I have toyed with the idea of switching to it here on TGO before, actually.  I'd love to hear what you think about it as a forum platform.

Feel free to let your friends and family in other states know about the new community also.  I am going to start plugging it on Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms soon myself.

The more the merrier!

--David

EDITED:  After running the numbers for what Shooters Nation will cost to operate for the first year, I am able to comp "site supporter" memberships for the first 6-months before we need to start generating some sort of income to make it self-sustaining.   Sorry for the error.

• Like 3
  • Administrator

PS:  The software sends out an email to authenticate your account when you sign up.  If you don't see it in your inbox, check your spam filter.  Email from forums is honestly far more hit-or-miss than it ought to be and most Internet providers aggressively filter and see them as being spam sometimes.

I will keep working to make that better, but you can always whitelist the forum's email address so that you get them in the future.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

Are you going to offer lifetime memberships?

Yeah once we get rolling and have some credibility to the community I'll do that.  I would feel really uneasy about it now since it's purely in startup mode.  :)

• Like 2
  • Administrator
11 minutes ago, nightrunner said:

Signed up but I’m not getting the confirmation email. Sent 3x.

9 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

Check your spam folder.  That is where I found my email.

What email service are you guys using?  I am still trying to make sure that all of the normal anti-spam methods (DKIM record, SPF record, etc.) are working right.

5 minutes ago, TGO David said:

What email service are you guys using?  I am still trying to make sure that all of the normal anti-spam methods (DKIM record, SPF record, etc.) are working right.

I’m using iCloud. Might be completely filtered out but I’m not receiving anything.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, n0rlf said:

I used Gmail and found it right away in the Spam folder.

Same here. I swear they must have gotten more aggressive with their filtering as I found some emails from a few lists that I actually signed up for that disappeared recently from my regular box. 

1 minute ago, Chucktshoes said:

Same here. I swear they must have gotten more aggressive with their filtering as I found some emails from a few lists that I actually signed up for that disappeared recently from my regular box. 

I watch it pretty close as they got harder after the Yahoo debacle.