Almost There

Was down in the Knoxville area this past weekend, looking for places to retire to. We were down by Seymour, Maryville. Over to Oak Ridge and Clinton. Up by Lake Norris and most places in between. Powell seemed like a nice area. Some new building, lots of older homes nice properties, mix of woods and farm land close to Knoxville, my wife will have to work for a few more years when we move. I would like to set up a shop on the property, do metal work and make knives, something to keep me busy. Little hunting and fishing, generally enjoying life.

Any place else I should put on the short list?

2 hours ago, aknifemaker said:

Was down in the Knoxville area this past weekend, looking for places to retire to. We were down by Seymour, Maryville. Over to Oak Ridge and Clinton. Up by Lake Norris and most places in between. Powell seemed like a nice area. Some new building, lots of older homes nice properties, mix of woods and farm land close to Knoxville, my wife will have to work for a few more years when we move. I would like to set up a shop on the property, do metal work and make knives, something to keep me busy. Little hunting and fishing, generally enjoying life.

Any place else I should put on the short list?

Have you looked at the Townsend area nice quiet place. I'm in Sevierville ok for us. Dandridge is nice. Jefferson City area. 

• Moderators

We just bought a house in Lenoir City. Will be moving in next couple months. Just rented for almost 3 years until we found exactly what worked for us and knew we liked that particular area. My office is on Kingston Pike and my wife works in Sweetwater and Etowah so perfect location for us.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:47 AM, TripleGGG said:

We just bought a house in Lenoir City. Will be moving in next couple months. Just rented for almost 3 years until we found exactly what worked for us and knew we liked that particular area. My office is on Kingston Pike and my wife works in Sweetwater and Etowah so perfect location for us.

Just moved to Lenoir City myself. Lived in Etowah 40 years and decided to retire on the lake in Lenoir City. Love it here.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
Have been thinking about renting for a while also, then buying. Got a year or so we will see. Good luck and thanks for the reply
We rented a townhouse and loved it. Once we decided area we wanted to live in we were able to be very picky about what we wanted. We plan on retiring in this home. Found some that were close but we kept waiting until the perfect house came available. Not having to jump on something immediately was nice. Housing market is crazy in this area right now. If you see something you can't take too long to decide.

Just FYI, around here folks refer to our bodies of water as Norris Lake, Watts Bar Lake, Loudon (they don't bother saying the word "lake").  When you say the word "Lake" first people start assuming you might be from the north side of the Mason-Dixon.  Welcome to the region and good luck finding what you seek.  You might look around the Roane County area close to Watts Bar.  It provides plenty of structure fishing and not too far from everywhere.  Around here folks call it the "Promised Land",  because most of the land is promised to a niece, nephew, son or daughter.;)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TripleGGG said:
6 hours ago, aknifemaker said:
Have been thinking about renting for a while also, then buying. Got a year or so we will see. Good luck and thanks for the reply

We rented a townhouse and loved it. Once we decided area we wanted to live in we were able to be very picky about what we wanted. We plan on retiring in this home. Found some that were close but we kept waiting until the perfect house came available. Not having to jump on something immediately was nice. Housing market is crazy in this area right now. If you see something you can't take too long to decide.

I am retired and we had a new house built on Ft. Loudon Lake. I plan to spend whatever time I have left watching a fishing bobber. Lenoir City has everything I need.

• Like 1