Favorite field shotgun?

10-Ring

Looking for recommendations for a shotgun.  I'm not an avid small game hunter but I enjoy getting out and knocking around the woods occasionally after deer season is over.  I've been using the same 870 for almost 25 years.  It's a fine shotgun that does the job well, but it leaves me wishing for something a little lighter.  I carried around a Browning Sweet 16 this afternoon, it's not mine, it's a family gun.  I've always liked the way that shotgun handled, and no more than I shoot it I wouldn't even be worried about feeding it.  Thinking about keeping my eye open for one of my own, but I thought I'd ask around here to see if there were other suggestions.  I'm really not set on a particular action, or gauge, I'm not looking for what the best value is, or what is the most durable.  I'm looking for something that would be a pleasure to carry and shoot.  

Edited by 10-Ring

I owned many shotguns over the years, mostly pumps and mostly 870’s. I didn’t hunt; I had them for field/range toys or for home defense. As I got older they weren’t as much fun to shoot and I got rid of all my shotguns.

A couple of years ago I was shooting with friends/family. We get together and shoot handguns, rifles, shotguns. I felt left out when they were shooting shotguns, so I started looking for an autoloader with a recoil absorbing stock. After all my research and reading many reviews and threads; I ordered a Remington 1100 Competition Synthetic.

With a 30” barrel and a weight of 8.25 pounds, it’s not really light, but it sure is a cream puff to shoot. I enjoy shooting shotguns again and everyone that has tried it has had a positive response.

https://www.remington.com/shotguns/autoloading/model-1100/model-1100-competition-synthetic

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/69672/Remington+1100+COMP+12+30+PB14+AC+SYN

• Like 1

I have a Remington 1148, 16 Ga I inherited from my father. It has a improved cylinder, and is a semi auto which  he hunted quail with a lot. It is a sweet shotgun. Not as light as some of the newer guns but it has never failed to cycle.  I have some Mossberg's but they are as heavy as your 870. 

well that is like asking do you like blondes, redheads, brunettes, etc.   To me shotguns are a personal thing.  I love the versatility of a 12ga Benelli super black eagle.  Have worn one out.  Working on another one.  My preference is the old H&K imports.  As a general rule my recommendation is the Montefeltro 12 or 20.  Dependable. Also worn out a Rem. 1100.  Never replaced it, just shoot light loads in it on occasion.  Shotguns are more balance, length of pull, and pointability type guns.  Some of the new Remington and Winchesters look nice.  Beretta autos popular as well.  Day in day out though your pump 870 is always a good solid choice.  Doubly good is if it the old Wingmaster model.

I have a set of Remington Model 11s in 12, 16, and 20ga I inherited from my Grandfather.  It's the same gun as a Browning A-5.  John Browning cleverly sold the license to build it to FN in Belgium (branded as 'Browning'), Remington, and Savage.  I eventually bought my own in 12 and 20ga to avoid wearing out my grandfather's guns. 

They take a bit of education to set the friction rings properly for the load you are shooting.  If someone complains about the recoil, they have the friction rings set wrong and will eventually damage the hand guard and even the receiver.  Set properly, the guns will have a soft recoil and still operate reliably.

So, It's obvious what my personal choice is.  I've shot semi-autos so much that I always hesitate when I'm firing a pump gun until I remember that I have to operate the action!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Budget would dictate what I would recommend.  For lower end money, I agree with Kahrman, a nice old 1100LT 20 Gauge is classic, but a little heavy.  I am a Benelli and Beretta fan as well.  For me, it would be worth a drive up to Whittakers and handle a few.  One will find you.  For me, it's 20 gauge all day every day.  I hardly ever use a 12 gauge for anything anymore.

Edited by Hozzie
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm basically in the same boat. Last time I went hunting with friends for quail and pheasant (canned hunt) the only thing I had to take was a Browning Citori or Browning XT, both with fine unscratched stock finishes. I must have been a sight walking through briers and brambles with my shotgun raised with both hands over my head.

Just sold the Browning XT to purchase a Remington Versa Max Duck Blind model. It has everything I want in my old age and I don't have to worry about scratching it. Through I can't personally vouch for it, everywhere there is nothing but praise for that shotgun, save the few folks we get a lemon. Best of all, if you're a lefty like me, they make a left-hand version. 

I like to dove hunt also, but there's no hunt-able populations of migratory doves that pass through my area. I guess I'd have to find some place closer to the Mississippi River living in NW TN. 

On 1/21/2018 at 1:05 PM, gregintenn said:

Although I have a thing for classic doubles, my favorite field gun is a 20 Gauge Browning Citori Featherweight.

A man after my heart.  :bowrofl:

My son has shot skeet competitively for many years, and we have both decided that unless waterfowl are in the picture a quality O/U will get the job done and are a true pleasure to shoot.  As long as you stay away from the Stoeger and other inexpensive guns, you can shoot it until you leave this earth.  While he shoots more expensive guns in competition, we own several Citoris and they are dead nuts reliable with a little bit of preventive maintenance along the way.  My favorite field gun is a Remington Premier O/U in 28 gauge that was built by Sabatti in Italy.  Great little gun, light weight, and a pleasure to shoot.  I have used it for everything from skeet to pheasants in South Dakota.  If you aren't tied to the 12 gauge wagon, find yourself a little 28 gauge gun and you'll learn quickly how versatile and fun they are.

Back when I was hunting small game, Rabbits, quail etc etc I carried a Winchester model 12 in 20 gauge. It was a great pump gun and was not as heavy as many pump guns but finding one to buy today maybe be a chore since they discontinued making the Model 12 Winchesters in 1965 when they went to the 1200 series..........JMHO

My favorite right now, is an old H&R single shot 16 ga. w/ 30" bbl & full choke. Light as a feather & shoots quite well. Looked up the Mod. & ser#, and it was made in 1947. Just 3 yrs younger than me, LOL.

Prior to that, an even older Crescent Arms 12ga double, both bbls wide open. My pa sawed 2" of the bbls yrs ago. Rabbit ear hammers. Still shoots good. Think it was made round the 1930's.

Can't find any info to pin that down.