Podcasts Coming Winter 2018

TGO David

• Administrator

Hey folks.   As I have mentioned before, I am looking to do regularly scheduled podcasts to help bring us even closer together as a group. If you've ever just sat around a coffee table, campfire, the gun shop counter or even the shooting range, and talked about shooting, guns and everything that goes along with it... you've got the general idea of what our podcasts will be about.

I am a pretty big fan of podcasts as a form of media. I listen to quite a few of them each week during my commute to and from work or while exercising trying to get a little healthier. Some of my favorites make me feel like I'm right there in the mix, listening to what the hosts and guests are talking about, and learning from them in the process. I am not big on any sort of media where I feel like I am being preached at or condescended to, which means there are some relatively popular podcasts that I don't care anything about too.

Other than to use this thread to tell you that podcasts are coming soon, I also want to hear from you. I want your suggestions. What do you want to hear about? We can certainly talk about the latest firearms industry news and buzz, but what other things do you want to hear discussed and who do you want to hear from?

I have started a thread over on TGO's sister site, Shooters Nation, to gather input. I can't promise miracles and some of what you suggest may take some time to put together, or be outright impossible to deliver, but I will try my best to make sure that any podcast we release is worth listening to.

If you have a moment, stop in and give me some feedback:

https://www.shootersnation.com/forum/threads/podcasts-coming-winter-2018-suggestions-welcomed.7/

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

I can make a recommendation about what I don't want to hear...

Politics

I realize politics are important in the gun world, but it feels like here lately the two go hand in hand all of the time.  I just want to hear about guns, stories about guns, project guns (not Hi Points, lol), improving your guns, improving yourself as a shooter, etc.  

• Like 4

Honestly I like watching in depth reviews of guns, scopes, gear etc. I’m sure that would be a ton of work and cost some money for testing and things like that though. 

If you’ve never heard of the Nutnfancy poject on YouTube you should definitely check him out. He does a lot of testing and covers pretty much every thing in a 30 minute average video. He’s also brutally honest and doesn’t pick brand favorites.

If your curious about any gun you own I’m sure he has a review on most of them.

Edited by Ahitchc4
7 hours ago, TGO David said:

We're one step closer to this being a reality!  @MacGyver, @Dolomite_supafly and I spent an hour or so chewing the fat across the Internet tonight complete with video-conferencing and it all imported perfectly through my little home studio setup.  PLUS... we had an absolute blast doing it.  I know I did, at least.  :)

Great to hear David! I have often wondered what you guys talk about behind the scenes. Soon we get to know. Lol

• Admin Team
31 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

I would love to hear a podcast on your ceramic smoker and device used to control the cooking.  

We could talk for two hours on that by itself.

I've got a microcontroller based system that will control airflow and thus temperature to practically a degree or two, but I almost never use it.  Heart of the matter on the BGE and the Kamodo Joe like David has is that they're so thick, you can pretty easily do an 8 hour run without touching the vents.  

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Here's a sneak peak at the intro for the Shooters Nation podcast.  Let me know what you think!  Remember, we're going for a national audience here which is why we're doing it under the Shooters Nation name.  I may do a periodic podcast under the TGO name just for you all, but podcasts really have to be done "at scale" in order to be worth the time and effort.

Just posted a 2nd Draft...

• Like 5
  • Administrator
10 hours ago, prag said:

Excellent! Love the music as well.  :up:

Great sound quality too. Sound quality is something lacking on way too nay podcasts imho.

I am so looking forward to this David!

Thanks!  I am going to lose my mind if I don't record a podcast this week.  We've got so much to talk about right now.

I agree with you on bad-sounding podcasts.  I can control about 50% of that from the recording and processing side, but there's the other 50% that relies entirely on the connection between me and the other panelists and guests, and what they do to control noise and get good sound on their side.

If and when we do some podcasts "in person" with some folks, I will be able to control it even better.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Raoul said:

Am I weird because I am just unable to get into the Zen of podcasts?

I have found that for every one I enjoy there are 2 I have to skip. There are some really good ones out there though if you are willing to search. They are great for the drive to/from work or during slow stretches at the office. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Raoul said:

19 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Yep.

:lol:  I mean I really don't know what else to say other than I've stopped listening to regular radio on my commute to and from work and sometimes even AT work, and just listen to podcasts now.  It's pretty awesome not having to listen to a bunch of crap I don't care anything about.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Raoul said:

I’m not much into podcasts. I’m still very much a music guy. I was never into talk radio either. That said, there is the occasional podcast that I find really interesting. It’s just gotta be the right mix of subject and folks behind the mic. 

• Administrator

A draft copy of Episode 00 - The Prelude has been uploaded.  This episode is only ~10 minutes long and it's just me.  In it, I lay out out my vision for what I want the Shooters Nation Podcast to become and ask for a couple of things from you in return.

On the next episode, I'll be joined by some friends - folks you probably recognize.  Maybe some folks you've even heard of yet.

Let me know what you think!

• Like 5