Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper

xsubsailor

I was fondling one of these the other day and it was all I could do to walk out of there without it. I couldn't believe that I was actually even thinking about spending close to $600 for a six shot .22 but I've been thinking about it ever since searching for justification and I think I found it......I really want it !!!

My biggest problem is the fact that they have a Single Seven in .327 for the same price, and before someone says it, no I won't buy both :D.

bearcat_1.jpg

• Like 1

Bearcats are the dandiest little .22 pistols ever.  Never held the Shopkeeper version but I absolutely love my regular one.  They really are just pure fun. 

Not sure what the current prices are and that seems a bit high but I would have that over a Single Seven any day.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2

Man, that takes me back.  When I was kid back in the 1960s in Big Spring, Texas, one day my dad took me into a gun shop and I saw a Bearcat.  I fell in love with it immediately. It was the coolest handgun I had ever seen.  Dad was not interested -- he shot pistols competitively and he mainly liked his 1911 and his Hi Standard .22 -- and the Bearcat was $64; an astounding sum that I knew I would never be able to raise myself.  Decades later, when they started making them in stainless, I was tempted once more, but there's a lot of guns you can get for $600, and a Bearcat just never rose to the top of the list.

Cheers,

Whisper

Edited by Whisper
Spelling

I’ve haven’t shot one of the newer ones but I have a Super Bearcat made in 71 or 72.Neat little gun but accuracy is on par with the short barrel H&R revolvers which ain’t saying much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sub and all... 

We too, are afflicted with "single six" fever; no matter the flavor; from old to brand new... There is no better pistola to teach single action handling and point shooting with than the old single sixes... Ninety percent the size of a great Colt SAA and just about the same weight and balance... They are a great thing.... We have several; from old to new... My current favorite is a single six 32HR Vaquero 4 3/4 barrel... It's truly a work of art and a thing of beauty... I say:... "... Collect em all, Brother..."... Go for it, ya wont be dissapointed...

single six leroy... The small frame curmudgeon...

27 minutes ago, leroy said:

My current favorite is a single six 32HR Vaquero 4 3/4 barrel... It's truly a work of art and a thing of beauty....

SHHHH!  Keep quiet about this. The price on these little guns has already gone crazy and they are as scarce as honest politicians.

Move along folks, nothing to see here, go look at that nice Glock 17 over there....

• Like 1
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:51 PM, Garufa said:

Bearcats are the dandiest little .22 pistols ever.  Never held the Shopkeeper version but I absolutely love my regular one.  They really are just pure fun. 

Not sure what the current prices are and that seems a bit high but I would have that over a Single Seven any day.

I couldn't agree more, the first time I handled an Old Model Bearcat I wanted one. Year's later and some time after they'd been brought back into production I found a used blued finish New Model Bearcat. It's didn't have the box and showed minor wear marks and the gun store price was too good to not buy it.  So if I had a choice between the Ruger Shopkeeper and a Single Seven in .327 it'd be the Bearcat without hesitation. 

Well, they aren't nearly as pretty but Heritage makes a couple models of the Rough Rider with bird's head grips.  They have the 3.5 inch model and a 4.75 inch model.  As I said, not as pretty - not stainless, not engraved - but might fill a bird's head .22 shaped hole in your collection for a good bit less $$$.  Like all the Heritage models, they can use both a .22LR and a .22WMR cylinder.  This is a pic of the 3.5 inch model, from their website.

image.png.93c020010f09c33b50209f47c35a8521.png

http://heritagemfg.com/product_detail.cfm?prod_id=1