Marshall County Kentucky School Shooting

TGO David

35 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

Madalyn Murray O'Hair. I think, if we're honest with ourselves, a lot of this long downward spiral has a hinge there.

There is always one! I tend to agree even though I am pretty agnostic I believe it is a personal decision and prayer in school and Pledge of Allegiance was a good thing. I still think a paddle on the arse is a good thing though. As a society we have to stop coddling the kids and giving everyone's a winner participation trophies.

However none of that will make these families effected the other day feel any better!

• Like 3

There ain't much ta add to what has already been said... This is, indeed, a sad occurrence... It points out the general depravity of man and our tendency to do monstrous things to our brothers n sisters...  It transcends all age groups, socio-economic groups, and ethnicities... 

There are lotsa voices saying lotsa bad things in our culture, and there always have been... Those voices have an effect on our society; some more than others...

The great Friedrich Nietzsche said:.... "...If God be dead, all things are permissible..."... The idea; "No Law Giver, no laws to break"... You are the law... If you are the law, anything goes...

The great Alistare Crowley said:... "... Do what you will; deny yourself nothing..."... If you are number one; by definition, everybody else is at least number 2...

These beliefs can lead to some devastating results...

The point of this ramble... Be mindful of what your children (...and you...) choose to believe... Talk with them... Most of all, know what you and they believe... Belief systems have consequences... When those beliefs are acted on; the consequences can be devastating...

sad leroy...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does not matter what you believe in..teaching morals should not hinge on a belief.Morals and accountability and integrity is when you do the right thing when no one is looking.I think we will find out that this kid was a bit disturbed from the get go..as most if not all school shooting perps are somewhat off kilter to say the very least.Losing you dad the day before probably pushed him over the edge.

Reason why he did it or the event pushing him over the edge does not matter now. Other than a teachable moment to others of course. What matters now is how we as society will deem to punish him. That will speak as loudly as the event itself in my opinion. My thoughts are a fast outcome that is final will be more of a deterrent than 4 or 5 years of trials and appeals that lead to a life in prison sentence.

1 hour ago, n0rlf said:

Reason why he did it or the event pushing him over the edge does not matter now. Other than a teachable moment to others of course. What matters now is how we as society will deem to punish him. That will speak as loudly as the event itself in my opinion. My thoughts are a fast outcome that is final will be more of a deterrent than 4 or 5 years of trials and appeals that lead to a life in prison sentence.

Part of society wants to punish US.

• Like 1
On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:29 PM, leroy said:

Mike and David...

It is, indeed, sad... I also have in-law kinfolk from up there and i spent quite a bit of time both visitin and workin in the Paducah area...

As i recall, this is the second round of shootings like this... There was one at Heath High School just west of Paducah several years ago...  There are those who are pretty wise that think that the "kids shooting kids" thing is linked to Ritalin usage in children to treat ADHD... I think there is somethin to this theory... The problem with the Ritalin thing is that it's been endorsed and prescribed so long that it will be almost impossible to change, no matter the truth of the matter... No matter the cause, this is, indeed, a genuine tragedy...

As to the collecting of guns and tightening of gun laws in Kentucky... It's ludacris on it's face... This area of kentucky is beautiful, rural, and full of hunters and shooters... More than that, it's on the Great Mississippi Flyway... Guns in every house and people that know how to use 'em... I think Giffords and that clown that leads her around need to make a trip to Western Kentucky and do a "Round em up... Give em up" rally...

leroy

You could surely be on to something with te Ritalin theory Leroy, My grandson was diagnosed as having ADHD back when he was about 6 years old and they have him on that junk and he was out of control and about to drive my daughter crazy with his fits and tantrums. She was going through DHS to get him treatments because the meds were unaffordable for her to buy. At age 7 I had had enough of watching my daughter go through hell and DHS just throwing Ritalin the problem but not fixing it. Grandfather decided it was time for him to get involved and I paid a visit to DHS and we had a very long deep discussion about what other services maybe offer but because Ritlalin was not working. I was not leaving there until they found him something that would help him. They came back with an offer to send him to a special school for Children with his problem and because he was just accepted into the Tenn Care Program he did qualify to be sent to the school. We sent him and he was gone about 6 months and we could not visit him for the first month. By the time we did get to visit him you could see a complete improvement in him and he was in good spirits. He remained at the school 2 years and when he came home he was a new child with a new look on life. He finished his schooling in pblic school and then state paid for his trade school to learn computers. Today he is 27 years old and working as a trouble shooter to help folks with computer issues that call into that company for help. He has been with the company for 5 years now. He makes good money, has his own apartment and drives a nice late model car and has not lost his temper at all.

There is help out there for these kids but they need family members to take the bull by the horns and speak out asking for alternatives to what they are doing at that time. Problem is most parents that have a problem child don't seem to have time for them..........JMHO

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, bersaguy said:

You could surely be on to something with te Ritalin theory Leroy, My grandson was diagnosed as having ADHD back when he was about 6 years old and they have him on that junk and he was out of control and about to drive my daughter crazy with his fits and tantrums. She was going through DHS to get him treatments because the meds were unaffordable for her to buy. At age 7 I had had enough of watching my daughter go through hell and DHS just throwing Ritalin the problem but not fixing it. Grandfather decided it was time for him to get involved and I paid a visit to DHS and we had a very long deep discussion about what other services maybe offer but because Ritlalin was not working. I was not leaving there until they found him something that would help him. They came back with an offer to send him to a special school for Children with his problem and because he was just accepted into the Tenn Care Program he did qualify to be sent to the school. We sent him and he was gone about 6 months and we could not visit him for the first month. By the time we did get to visit him you could see a complete improvement in him and he was in good spirits. He remained at the school 2 years and when he came home he was a new child with a new look on life. He finished his schooling in pblic school and then state paid for his trade school to learn computers. Today he is 27 years old and working as a trouble shooter to help folks with computer issues that call into that company for help. He has been with the company for 5 years now. He makes good money, has his own apartment and drives a nice late model car and has not lost his temper at all.

There is help out there for these kids but they need family members to take the bull by the horns and speak out asking for alternatives to what they are doing at that time. Problem is most parents that have a problem child don't seem to have time for them..........JMHO

That was a robust post for a hurt man :) . Good to see you, Doug.

31 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

That was a robust post for a hurt man :) . Good to see you, Doug.

Hurt man yes, damaged man yes, but there is just sometimes things need to be said and it does not hurt to much to peck on a keyboard half as much and it does to hear about kids killing kids.......JMHO

• Like 4

It would seem that parents could take some lessons from all this. Then again there are a lot of things today's parents need to learn these days. Tough for them as this is the first big bunch that also did not see their parents much. So now we have multigenerational kids that cannot hope and have no outlets other than the internet which is all the real life they know. 

As for Ritalin I will not even get started on that topic. Labeling people seems to also be a big issue. ADD, ADHD, inferior complex, Superior complex, all excuses in most cases. Some are real issues and most of those could be handled much better and are often misdiagnosed and treated with the latest wonder drug. 

Just look at TV where every other as is for a new drug with ads in between from lawyers saying you can get rich by joining the lawsuit over the last great thing. 

I need to finish my place fast and start my hermit lifestyle.  I am allergic to stupid so I need to isolate myself 

• Like 2

My daughter was a school teacher that became a Probation Officer. At first she told me she wanted to work with juveniles. I told her “No you don’t”.

She has worked with adults for over 20 years, but has seen what the Juvenile Officers have to deal with. Sometimes there are kids you think you can help; but you can’t because of the dirt bag parents. I saw it too many times as a cop.

Our legal system gives criminals too many protections. And anytime you see “Zero Tolerance” it’s because someone is too lazy to do their job. They don’t want to do a proper investigation and determine who is at fault.

School shootings (and other mass shootings) will continue. Your kids can probably tell you who is about to go off the rails in their school.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

I suspect there is a TON of truth to this statement.

Yep, you can bet they do. I suspect many of those are the ones that are bullied all the time by the bullies. Thing is bullying is nothing knew. It has been around longer than computers. Back in a small town of Kingston Springs there was a few bullies around and there was 2 kids that was there favorite targets every time they caught them out. Well both of the kids decided enough was enough and decided it was time to fight back. The first on took place and a Hot Stop market in the rest room when one of the bullies saw one of their targets go into the rest room. About a minute later the target kid came out of the rest room covered in blood but not his. The Bully had grabbed him in the rest room and the kid shoved a knife into the bully and walked about half way around him ,let him fall to the floor screaming and walked out. The bully lived but was not so much a bully any longer. Then another bully was riding around town and spotted another target kid and he and two of his buddies chased the kid and jumped out of the care and grabbed him and shots rang out and within about 10 seconds the targe kid was running away and 2 kids lay bleeding on the street. Ended up with one have a full recovery and the other Bully paralyzed from the waist down as the bullet destroyed his spinal cord. Neither one of the targets were ever prosecuted of either incident as both times after hearing what had been taking place both cases were considered Self Defense. In all to many cases it is the Target victum that ends up lashing out and when they do they are not as selective as the two were in the story above. The kid is just angry at thr world and finally lashes out. I would guess that happens more than most would like to admit...................JMHO