Any Outdoor Rifle Ranges in Nashville Area Accepting New Members?

4Freedom

I am considering, once again, relocating to the Nashville area.  I've have lived most of my life in Oregon and have been living in the Puget Sound for the last 6 years (in addition to Idaho for a couple in between)  and now planning on leaving the Puget Sound and the entire Northwest for good.  There are many reasons I am bailing, but with the new extreme gun control/confiscation legislation, very high cost of living, taxes, traffic, etc I am now planning to make my exit for good.  I've been planning this for a while, but didn't have the resources to be able to do it.  I've been considering Nashville and a few other places to relocate and it looks desirable to me in many ways.   I'm planning on making a visit to Tennessee in late March or April and if things look good I would look for a place to live.

There are several important factors and Nashville looks good in many ways, but I have been bumping into some issues with the Nashville area.  The main problem I see is the lack of outdoor shooting ranges.  I utterly hate shooting indoors and have had nothing but bad experiences.  Maybe, growing up in the Northwest I just had so many options to shoot at decent outdoor ranges and the ranges here are pretty easy to join.  The problem which I am seeing with Nashville and a problem with the Eastern seaboard in general, is the lack of outdoor shooting ranges. In fact, I am starting to wonder if it is possible to shoot rifles at all if you live in the Nashville area?    Some people tell me the only people who can do rifle or outdoor shooting are people who grew up in the area and have friends who let them shoot on their farms or property.  I'm not sure how accurate it is, but that seems to be the situation from many people I have talked to.   I know the West Coast, in general, has the advantage of a lot more rural, unpopulated and public land.  When I lived in Idaho, I could literally drive 15 minutes up a big hill and finding a place to shoot.  I don't think that is possible anywhere in the East coast or Southeast, except maybe the rural Northeast. 

The Strategic Edge range looks awesome and is not far from Nashville.  However, I spoke with the owner at Strategic Edge range, in addition to having a 1 -2 year waiting list (he said maybe openings will come to sooner), they also seem to do a rigorous amount of checking about you and require long hours of training before you are even qualified to be considered for membership.  Maybe, I also worry that this range, the members will be treated like criminals and the range officers will be over the top.  It may not be like this, but I did join a range once where they treated members like garbage.  Of course, it swings both ways and some ranges don't enforce any rules and members do stupid stuff.  Was a member of a range like that as well.   I guess I have been a bit spoiled living in the Northwest in that I can find an 800 yard range, pay my $100-200 , get a background check (many ranges here don't even do that, but I am ok with it) and be able to shoot.  It seems like it will take a serious amount of effort and a bit of some prayer in order to be able to join a range like Strategic Edge or even many of the other rifle ranges I have seen in Tennessee, especially closer to the big metro areas.   I also don't really know anyone in Tennessee and was told some ranges require character references and interviews.  Once again, these are membership procedures I have never experienced in the Northwest.   It would kind of suck, moving to Tennessee (a place with good outdoor shooting weather) and then being confined to pistol shooting at some crappy big city range where I am side by side with gangbangers and other people who are not safe, inhaling lead and being confined to tight space.  Also, I can forget about draw-shooting or double-tapping, which is an important discipline for me as a conceal carry holder.  This has been my experience when I use to go indoor ranges in Portland, Oregon (where I am from).  Another example of why I hate indoor public ranges is Wade's Gun store in Bellevue, WA (next to Seattle), where a guy committed suicide and wounded the people next to him as the bullet passed through him into the next person.  They also found that many of the employees of Wade's had unsafe levels of lead in their body and the state almost shut the range down.  Also, most of these type of ranges force you to use their ammo , which usually cost 10-30% more of store cost.    I'm not sure if there are any decent indoor ranges in Nashville and I guess an indoor range beats nothing at all.  

Anyway, I guess this is the biggest strike I have about moving to the Nashville area is my concerns I will not able to do any shooting as long as I live there.   I'm willing to drive about 1.5 hours out of the city, but travelling more than that would be just a pain and means I would only be able to shoot once a month or less.    If anyone can give me any suggestions or knows any ranges in the Nashville area that are accepting new members and don't have insanely rigorous criteria for joining, I would be very eager to know.   I don't really know anybody in Tennessee and have no means to find farms or people's property to shoot on and don't have any personal references or people who can help get me into a club.   Can anyone give advice to someone who is interested in rifle and draw-pistol shooting who is new to Tennessee, like I will be, and wants to find a place they can shoot out to 300 or 400 yards and practice various disciplines, like draw-shoot?    I don't really have time or money to join competitions, and, in fact, that is why I need to get myself back into shooting again and find a good range.

I appreciate the help anybody can give me.

Edited by 4Freedom
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a member at stratefic edge and it was not only the best facility I've ever been to, but it was the friendliest and safest group of people I've ever been around at a range.  It's made me look at most other ranges differently.  Only reason I didn't renew is that I only got there a couple of times the last year I was a member.  It's an awesome place and awesome folk.

Edited by Guest

Charlie Haffner Memorial Range, about 30 miles south of Nashville might meet your needs. Personally never been there, bad on me, but hear many good things about it.

Outdoors and family operated.

Edited by hipower

There is Montgomery County Shooting Complex about an hour north west of town. I believe they go out to 400 or 500 yards.  

There are also several nice indoor ranges in the Nashville area. Royal Range and The Armory are two of the best. 

I am a member at strategic edge. I have no clue what the actual wait list is, but 1-2 years wouldn’t surprise me. It’s easily the best facility I’ve ever been to, and I agree with the earlier poster that the members are great. I don’t recall any out of the ordinary training requirements to join, unless they’ve changed the requirements since I became a member. There is a safety course you have to attend. Using the long rifle range requires you to attend the the long range class they hold at the club. Other than that I don’t think it was anything too burdensome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also a happy member at Strategic Edge, I use the carbine bays rather frequently especially the low light bay in the evenings in winter. The safety course is very standard, and the members police themselves so there are no "Range Officers" like at a typical public range. I will say my first weekend on the shorter of the rifle ranges was a little overwhelming, but once you're used to the electronic system and timers it is absolutely one of the safest ranges I've used. I am taking the Long Range qualifier this spring work schedule permitting and look forward to stretching the legs on a few of my newer builds. It has to be the best value in ranges in TN IMHO. 

I can and do shoot pistols in the back yard reasonably often in the summer. The thing you want to look for in property is being outside city limits. The county laws in TN are generally MUCH less restrictive than any of the cities I've lived in.

I’ve been a visitor at Strategic Edge and it was a fantastic facility with great people.  I’d join if I was closer.

Stones River is a nice facility, but a real pain, though very safe DUE TO being a real pain.

OK Corral or something outside Murfreesboro?  Never been, but heard about it.

Terry Walden has a range in Manchester. It has a handgun range and a separate 300 yard rifle range. It’s unstaffed; you just have to get with whoever is there and work things out. The rifle range may be full on weekends.

I heard that due to insurance costs it now requires a membership. ($125 a year I think) I haven’t been there since that happened. They also have HCP classes at a reasonable price.

Terry Walden - Gunsmith and More

1862 Sixteenth Model Rd

Manchester, Tennessee

Call (931) 728-0223

I’ve heard good things about OK Corral in Woodbury; but haven’t been there. Rifle range only goes to 200.

http://okcshootingrange.com/

Is a job or something the reason you are looking at living in Nashville?

Hey, it doesn’t rain everyday here. You will have to get use to that. I lived in Bremerton.

Edited by DaveTN

I really appreciate all the information people here have given me and it will be very valuable to me.  I'm making notes of all the various gun ranges and will check out their websites and see if I can call some to get more information.   I'm also very happy to meet members of the Strategic Edge range and I am happy to hear it is as awesome as it sounds.  Indeed, I would be happy to bend over backwards to join a range like Strategic Edge, but my main fear is that I may not have the ability to join any range and be stuck and shooting at the local indoor range, like some people I have talked to.  I have some friends in some other areas (one in Miami and another in Charlotte) who say indoor is the only option as any outdoor range is too far for them or expensive to join. 

I did send Strategic Edge an email with my information, but they have not yet confirmed I am on their waiting list.  I'll probably give them a call and see if they have put me on that waiting list.  However, I am hoping I won't have to wait one or two years to shoot my rifles, so I will probably have to find some other range to join while I wait to get admitted to that club.    As far as the requirements for joining, the owner, who I talked to, told me they basically will have you certified as a Range Safety Officer before you can join.  He also said he will investigate your character and see if you like suing people.  I understand that he needs to protect himself, but I always get a bit nervous when people say they need to investigate me beyond a simple background check.    However, I am happy to hear how much people like the club and it seems that the staff treat the members well.   I just never know, as I have had different experiences at different ranges.   An example, one range I went to the Range Officer told me I was not allowed to shoot my AR on any bench except the 3 on the left, which meant I basically could not shoot my AR on a busy day.  He said the AR was too loud of a gun to shoot and that the flash hider is same as a muzzle brake and muzzle brakes cannot be shot on any but the leftmost 3 benches.   I had another experience a range in Washington state where they asked if you ever had a speeding ticket.   They told me they don't trust people and if you lie about speeding ticket you are probably lying about everything else.  That whole mentality of treating new members like criminals just rubbed me the wrong way.  

The Montgomery complex looked interesting and I did go to their website before I posted this thread.  From what I read though it appears they do not allow any drawing from the holster and they require a member of the club to give you a good reference to join.  Maybe, I will re-look at that club as well and see how their system works.    I definitely will look at each of the various clubs/ranges people have mentioned here.

Edited by 4Freedom
10 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Terry Walden has a range in Manchester. It has a handgun range and a separate 300 yard rifle range. It’s unstaffed; you just have to get with whoever is there and work things out. The rifle range may be full on weekends.

I heard that due to insurance costs it now requires a membership. ($125 a year I think) I haven’t been there since that happened. They also have HCP classes at a reasonable price.

Terry Walden - Gunsmith and More

1862 Sixteenth Model Rd

Manchester, Tennessee

Call (931) 728-0223

I’ve heard good things about OK Corral in Woodbury; but haven’t been there. Rifle range only goes to 200.

http://okcshootingrange.com/

Is a job or something the reason you are looking at living in Nashville?

Hey, it doesn’t rain everyday here. You will have to get use to that. I lived in Bremerton.

LOL Terry Walden..

I've been band for life

2018-01-24_04-01-14

Hey, Johnny Rotten..  I just called the guy Terry Walden and asked him about his range.  It's unfortunate to hear you had a bad experience with his range.  What did he do to ban you?  Or, are you referring to the fact that he won't allow you to shoot what you want at his range?   Anyhow, he seemed  pretty friendly and told me the range is open to the public and memberships.  He said you can do rifle shooting out to 300 yards and he has no problem with draw-shooting as long as you are safe and the range ins't too crowded.    His range actually is sounding pretty good for me, at least if I cannot find any other range accepting members.  However, I would definitely like to hear your experience with the range and if there is any issues of which I should be aware.

I'm going to do more research, but I am happy that I think found at least one place within an hour from Nashville I could do some shooting, until I can join up with this Strategic Edge range.. :D

Edited by 4Freedom
19 minutes ago, 4Freedom said:

Hey, Johnny Rotten..  I just called the guy Terry Walden and asked him about his range.  It's unfortunate to hear you had a bad experience with his range.  What did he do to ban you?  Or, are you referring to the fact that he won't allow you to shoot what you want at his range?   Anyhow, he seemed  pretty friendly and told me the range is open to the public and memberships.  He said you can do rifle shooting out to 300 yards and he has no problem with draw-shooting as long as you are safe and the range ins't too crowded.    His range actually is sounding pretty good for me, at least if I cannot find any other range accepting members.  However, I would definitely like to hear your experience with the range and if there is any issues of which I should be aware.

I'm going to do more research, but I am happy that I think found at least one place within an hour from Nashville I could do some shooting, until I can join up with this Strategic Edge range.. :D

I've shot there for years, he was the only range at the time with no restrictions, he didn't personally didn't ban me just my guns.

They've a handgun range and a 3 gun range I never shot on those, spent all my time on the 330yrd range: 50,100,200 berms and a 30' berm at 330yrd. I was shooting with TGO Mod that day, Terry walked up to us 3 times, first time he said his neighbor complain bullets were flying over the 330 berm and was raining down on him while he was hay bailing his field, second time FA fire drew his attn. he walked up yelling out cold range he wanted to know exactly who was shooting FA, so I offered him to shoot my gun he declined but wanted to watch, so I proceeded to unload a 200rd belt FA into steel targets at the base of the 330yrd berm, I turned looked at him and he gave me a thumbs up and only commented to the tracers then left, third time he walked up all the other range users pointed at us this time (this was so funny) the TGO Mod was shooting his 50BMG and I was shooting FA burst at 1lb tanneriet bags, you two again and left shaking his head.

7 hours ago, Johnny Rotten said:

I've shot there for years, he was the only range at the time with no restrictions, he didn't personally didn't ban me just my guns.

They've a handgun range and a 3 gun range I never shot on those, spent all my time on the 330yrd range: 50,100,200 berms and a 30' berm at 330yrd. I was shooting with TGO Mod that day, Terry walked up to us 3 times, first time he said his neighbor complain bullets were flying over the 330 berm and was raining down on him while he was hay bailing his field, second time FA fire drew his attn. he walked up yelling out cold range he wanted to know exactly who was shooting FA, so I offered him to shoot my gun he declined but wanted to watch, so I proceeded to unload a 200rd belt FA into steel targets at the base of the 330yrd berm, I turned looked at him and he gave me a thumbs up and only commented to the tracers then left, third time he walked up all the other range users pointed at us this time (this was so funny) the TGO Mod was shooting his 50BMG and I was shooting FA burst at 1lb tanneriet bags, you two again and left shaking his head.

Wow.. Sorry to hear your bad experience.  Well, I neither have the equipment, nor the funds for ammo to shoot 50BMG or machine guns, so that won't apply to me.  Of course, I hate when ranges make restrictions, but it seems that many ranges in the Southeast restrict 50BMG because there are so many people living near the ranges and they start to complain.  Maybe, that is one big advantage of living in an a place with so much unpopulated and public land.   I do plan on getting a 50BMG one day, but for the time being, it's a stretch on my pockets to just shoot my 5.56 rounds.. 

Well, if you think the range owner is going to give members trouble for whatever reason, then that is not a range I would want to join.  Talking to the guy he seemed friendly and accommodating, but maybe that is in comparison to some of the ranges where I live now which have lot of restrictions.  Seattle area has a lot of gun ranges, but only few allow me to practice the disciplines I want.  Currently, I am a member of the Upper Nisqually Range at the base of Mt Rainier which is an awesome club and lets you shoot 50BMG.  Sadly, with the "Assault Weapon" Ban/Licensing scheme being presented in Washington, I probably won't get to shoot any semi-auto, magazine fed rifles at that range soon; assuming, the uber-liberal Washington state government gets it way :(

The one thing that guy mentioned was he doesn't want any guys there blasting off machine guns or shooting over the berm..  Hahaha.. I guess I know who he had in mind :D   I had similar experience shooting my .460 S&W revolver at a small range in the Columbia Gorge in Washington.  The neighbors made a noise complaint saying someone was shooting off a big cannon or something.  The range owner (or lady who managed the range) came out to talk with me.  She said the neighbors were complaining and that they don't allow 50 caliber at the range and wanted to know what I was shooting.  So I showed her my revolver and she started laughing and said she would tell the neighbors to stop whining.  

I also called OK Corral range and that also looks wonderful.  They even have some type of shoot-house which looks exciting and I have not seen anymore.  The range only goes out to 200 yards for rifle, but that would be ok  I suppose for a while, since I am just getting back into rifle shooting and pretty rusty, anyhow.   Would be nice to reach out past 500 yards once I get back into shooting rifles again.  This OK Coral range though looks really good.

I sent an email and left a message with Strategic Edge and have not heard back from them yet.  Maybe they won't even bother putting me on the waiting list.  I kind of regret asking the owner so many questions, as I was a bit confused talking to him.  I am hoping he didn't feel like I was one of the undesirable characters he didn't want joining.  I haven't sued anyone in my 40 years of life.   It was the first time I ever heard of a range having these type of requirements to join.  However, after everyone has filled me in on how awesome this range is, I guess I can see why he operates it like he does.  I'm hoping he will put me on his wait list.  If I can get to know any other members on this forum who are members there, maybe they be a character reference for me, if necessary and I'd appreciate that.     I'd definitely love to join Strategic Edge range from what I am hearing.  Guess I will just have to sit and wait to see if I ever get the opportunity.

Anyway, it appears I do have a couple decent options of place to shoot in the Nashville area.  This has been very enlightening for me and I am grateful to the advice people gave me. :)

Edited by 4Freedom