Hello girlz...

• Administrator

I've been mentioning this to my wife every chance I get and she's wanting to be active on here again.

The big challenge for her right now is free time.  With a 4-year old, a 5-month old and a 45-year old (me), she doesn't get much of it.  :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I have stayed away a lot because it got a bit too heavy. It was a bit too political and also a bit too opinionated for me when it came to certain things regarding women. But I have noticed that there is a new section for the Political things which is LOVELY because then I don't have to see it. I am swamped with caring for 10 dogs and 20 chickens and now on seperate shift with Monkey. But I think I will renew my membership soon. I don't want to miss out on any events.

• Like 1
Guest BHG123
7 hours ago, MrsMonkeyMan2500 said:

I have stayed away a lot because it got a bit too heavy. It was a bit too political and also a bit too opinionated for me when it came to certain things regarding women. But I have noticed that there is a new section for the Political things which is LOVELY because then I don't have to see it. I am swamped with caring for 10 dogs and 20 chickens and now on seperate shift with Monkey. But I think I will renew my membership soon. I don't want to miss out on any events.

MrsMonkeyMan2500, I know exactly how you feel.  Many women I know have a limit when it comes to politics, some men seem like it a lot more.  I see it happen on a lot of forums, and I think that is why a lot of women back off.  I think we like all the gun and carry related information, but the politics and confrontations are not what most women log on for.

Sometimes, I want to comment on the politics too, and the responses I get, I don't think a lot of the guys (not all) realize that we ladies want to contribute, but most women do not want the level of confrontation (rather than discussion) that some men seem to be comfortable with.

I have a lot of stress in my life right now, and there are some days where I need to make a conscious effort to rise above some of the negativity I have to deal with.  When I encounter a big dose of negativity on any forum, I just don't need it right now so I quickly review and leave.  That includes all the gun forums I belong to, I am not singling out TGO by any means, this forum is better than most, IMO.

Even though there has been an effort on most forums to isolate the politics, one cannot help but encounter them in the new posts, active topics and similar areas.

That's my female perspective ; )

Edited by BHG123
Guest BHG123
18 hours ago, TGO David said:

Ladies;

Would it be preferred that I lock this particular forum down to only those who state they are women when they sign up?  I'd be glad to do it.

Let me know!

Dave, thank you for the thoughtful offer!  To better explain my post, I was trying to just point out the differences between what I have seen between what female gun owners are looking for in a forum, vs. male gun owners.  Not nothing is 100% one way or the other, just that we tend to be a little different in our motivations and preferences.

Yours is a tough questions because I have seen other forums try creating a separate area just for women, and it does not work out because there is just not enough active female members on the forums to begin with.  I think Well Armed Woman has a forum for members and they have a lot of members.  I looked into joining, but most of the posts were months old, nothing recent and I enjoy active conversation.

So, back to what I first said, it may be the male jousting that keeps a lot of these forums going and that would explain why a female only forum does not do that well, we just don't joust the way men do. 

For me personally, I see a lot of divisiveness on gun forums right now that is very disturbing to me.  Those who would want to take away our 2A rights (many are foreign forum trolls) are fueling infighting among gun owners, trying to tear apart the NRA, and they are also instigating other infighting in the USA, brother against brother and sister against sister.  Foreign countries can come into our country via the internet and are causing USA citizens to fight against each other.  For me, I don't want to be a part of that.

Edited by BHG123

Dave, 

I think you do an amazing job. How this has changed over the years is incredible. And just looking around for the past few times I have popped it, it seems a lot better. Please do not take offense to anything I stated. But for me, when I joined, it was because I was new to guns. I was hardcore democrat, raised in a union state with no idea what  MY personal values was, I just went by what my family did. My husband got me into guns, target shooting and training. I have really grown as a person and a woman because of him. 

In no way was I trying to complain. I was just pointing out that for me, as a younger member than some, my views are a bit more open to things than they are. I don't identify as a party. And I have my views. But I agee with (and from what I have read, like a lot) BHG123. I think it is hard for men to communicate with women when it comes to certain topics. Which is totally OK. I just learned to not read posts by the titles. LOL I love the exchanges I have with a lot of members. I do have personal favorites who I have actually met and then I have favorites that I haven't. I will say it seems much more laid back now, and that is a nice thing for sure!

BHG123, I'd love to talk turkey if you ever want to. I shoot at a local private range with all men. I am always #2 in pistols to a Korean War Vet and #2 in Long guns to my husband, but I hold my own against the boys. What do you shoot? What do you love? Favorite Caliber? Spill the deets!

Guest BHG123

MrsMonkeyMan2500,

Where do you go shooting?  I am mostly East Tennessee, out to Oak Ridge.

I love my guns, love to shoot, love to train.  I do some informal Steel Challenge and Action Pistol.  I would like to move into more formal IDPA, Steel Challenge and maybe Cowboy action.  My favorite Calibers are .38 special in revolver, 9mm in semi-auto, and .357 magnum in my Ruger Blackhawk.  I also have several .22LR guns that are fun, and a 9 round SA Heritage rough rider that I want to try to shoot Steel Challenge with, just to Challenge myself.  I like shooting SA revolvers against semi-autos, and coming out near the top, lol!

Whenever I get a new gun (I am a gun nerd), I have to do ballistic studies and comparisons, side by side, different types of ammo, and comparisons against other guns of the same caliber.  I could write a lot of review articles.

And sometimes, (don't tell), but I don't always tell my boyfriend when I buy a new gun.

What about you?

I have no desire to discuss politics with anyone.. lol ..I just walk away from it..

I  get  #### from guys all the time at the range ..or when we go skeet shooting.I had to learn to either just give a smart ass remark back at them or ignore them.. Some men are just jerks and think us womanfolk don`t have any  gun sense about them...Its sad and pitiful.. but mostly I run into people who like us to shoot.And Dolomite and I do go shooting with members on here or have met them thru various outings and at home here.. 

• Like 1

Hi girls! 

Glad to see a little action in here!  I haven't been around as much lately as I usually am, but I do pop in here and there to check on the place when I have time. My mom is on hospice now and I'm her sole caretaker...... I just don't have a lot of time for anything else right now. 

I wanted you all to know I haven't abandoned the place!  I'd also like to extend an invitation out there for any women that would like to learn how to shoot and safely handle a firearm. Maybe you're here because you're interested in learning, but don't have anyone to teach you. If you're new to firearms, sometimes it can seem a bit intimidating.....especially for a female.  I live about 15 minutes south of Morristown in East TN and I have my own little range right here beside my house. If any ladies in the area want to learn, just send me a pm and I'd be happy to help. I've been shooting guns since I was four years old and have had my carry permit for almost 20 years. I've taught quite a few women (and kids) to shoot over the years and I'm very knowledgeable when it comes to guns and gun safety. So if you're interested in learning how to safely handle/shoot/carry a firearm, or if you just have a question, please feel free to shoot me a pm and I'll do everything I can to help you. ;)

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
21 minutes ago, PackinMama said:

Hi girls! 

Glad to see a little action in here!  I haven't been around as much lately as I usually am, but I do pop in here and there to check on the place when I have time. My mom is on hospice now and I'm her sole caretaker...... I just don't have a lot of time for anything else right now. 

I wanted you all to know I haven't abandoned the place!  I'd also like to extend an invitation out there for any women that would like to learn how to shoot and safely handle a firearm. Maybe you're here because you're interested in learning, but don't have anyone to teach you. If you're new to firearms, sometimes it can seem a bit intimidating.....especially for a female.  I live about 15 minutes south of Morristown in East TN and I have my own little range right here beside my house. If any ladies in the area want to learn, just send me a pm and I'd be happy to help. I've been shooting guns since I was four years old and have had my carry permit for almost 20 years. I've taught quite a few women (and kids) to shoot over the years and I'm very knowledgeable when it comes to guns and gun safety. So if you're interested in learning how to safely handle/shoot/carry a firearm, or if you just have a question, please feel free to shoot me a pm and I'll do everything I can to help you. ;)

Good to see you around!

• Moderators
Hi girls! 
I wanted you all to know I haven't abandoned the place!  I'd also like to extend an invitation out there for any women that would like to learn how to shoot and safely handle a firearm. Maybe you're here because you're interested in learning, but don't have anyone to teach you. If you're new to firearms, sometimes it can seem a bit intimidating.....especially for a female.  I live about 15 minutes south of Morristown in East TN and I have my own little range right here beside my house. If any ladies in the area want to learn, just send me a pm and I'd be happy to help. I've been shooting guns since I was four years old and have had my carry permit for almost 20 years. I've taught quite a few women (and kids) to shoot over the years and I'm very knowledgeable when it comes to guns and gun safety. So if you're interested in learning how to safely handle/shoot/carry a firearm, or if you just have a question, please feel free to shoot me a pm and I'll do everything I can to help you. default_wink.png
Prayers for you and your mom as you handle this difficult stage in her life. God Bless
  • 2 years later...
On 3/5/2018 at 6:18 PM, BHG123 said:

MrsMonkeyMan2500,

Where do you go shooting?  I am mostly East Tennessee, out to Oak Ridge.

I love my guns, love to shoot, love to train.  I do some informal Steel Challenge and Action Pistol.  I would like to move into more formal IDPA, Steel Challenge and maybe Cowboy action.  My favorite Calibers are .38 special in revolver, 9mm in semi-auto, and .357 magnum in my Ruger Blackhawk.  I also have several .22LR guns that are fun, and a 9 round SA Heritage rough rider that I want to try to shoot Steel Challenge with, just to Challenge myself.  I like shooting SA revolvers against semi-autos, and coming out near the top, lol!

Whenever I get a new gun (I am a gun nerd), I have to do ballistic studies and comparisons, side by side, different types of ammo, and comparisons against other guns of the same caliber.  I could write a lot of review articles.

And sometimes, (don't tell), but I don't always tell my boyfriend when I buy a new gun.

What about you?

Well I feel like a jerk now. It has been ages since I have checked in. I peek in from time to time but I never saw this and for that, I am sorry. If you're still around, I'll be more than happy to answer.

We live close by you, I'd say about an hour (?) from you just outside of Cookeville depending on who's driving. lol I am fortunate enough to have a neighbor with about 400 acres who let's us shoot down in a field on his property that backs up to our house. I have another neighbor with a more "range like" setup down the street that I do to on occasion when I want to rifle shoot.

I am a lot like you, I love my guns and shooting time. I need to get into the habit of doing it weekly again. I have been behind a lot due to the rescue/foster work I do and other hobbies. I prefer 10mm and most of MY guns are Glocks with the exception of Black Betty, my 1911. I have several Glocks but I am thinking about selling my 17 and 21sf because I just really prefer and feel most comfortable with my 20 & 29. They are my "always with me" guns. 

As for disclosing the purchase of new guns, he pretty much catches me every time. LOL I haven't purchased anything in quite a while since I have pretty much everything I need. However, if I do sell my 17 & 21sf, then I will be buying an additional 20 for myself. LOL because, why not? That one I won't have to sneak in because I just grabbed a really nice knife for him from Willis. I'm going to renew my membership. Hopefully you are still around! 🙂

• Like 1

Yes, I am still here, on and off.  I just happened to be checking in again myself.  I have to regroup on this post, it was created in the Epic B.C. (Before COVID).  I feel like the world has changed a lot since then, it has for me!

• 1 month later...
On 9/24/2020 at 1:39 PM, BHG123 said:

Yes, I am still here, on and off.  I just happened to be checking in again myself.  I have to regroup on this post, it was created in the Epic B.C. (Before COVID).  I feel like the world has changed a lot since then, it has for me!

I am glad to see you are. So are you in Oak Ridge, or do you just do your shooting/target practice there?