Seneca Sumatra .22 Air Rifle - Anyone have experience?

GoneBallistic

No experience with this particular rifle but a lot of experience with PCP guns 10 meter sporter class air rifle mostly.  Since you asked about a compressor it sounds like you are starting from scratch in the PCP world.  I know several people that started out using manual pumps, myself included, but you will find that using a manual gets old really fast.   The compressors that fill these are not your standard compressor.  Air pyramid sells them but the good ones start at around $1300.00.  Based on what I pay in the Nashville area the cost of a compressor will equal a 150 + fills of an 80 cf SCUBA tank. During a busy competition season and filling multiple guns I only filled my SCUBA tank 6 times in a year.   I went to the SCUBA tank method and never looked back.  Air Pyramid sells these set ups as well.  I had a lot of people tell me that SCUBA shops would not fill my tank if I did not have a dive certification card but I quickly found out that is not true.  I have purchased from Air Pyramid on several occasions and I can't speak highly enough about their customer service and support.  If in any doubt call them.  My experience was that they can talk you through any thing you don't understand or a problem with something you purchased.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, GoneBallistic said:

What's the apparatus that goes on the tank called?

I'm not up to speed on all SCUBA tank lingo but hopefully your tanks have K valves. If so then Crosman, Air Force, Air Venturi  and Benjamin make a K valve yoke adapter.  Below is the Benjamin version. Also here is a link to a very helpful guide about SCUBA tanks and PCP air guns. I took it from the Pilkguns website which is a Tennessee business that I have used many times.  They know their stuff.  CLICK HERE: Guide to Compressed Air Usage

Benj-FAH003_lg.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

I'm not up to speed on all SCUBA tank lingo but hopefully your tanks have K valves. If so then Crosman, Air Force, Air Venturi  and Benjamin make a K valve yoke adapter.  Below is the Benjamin version. Also here is a link to a very helpful guide about SCUBA tanks and PCP air guns. I took it from the Pilkguns website which is a Tennessee business that I have used many times.  They know their stuff.  CLICK HERE: Guide to Compressed Air Usage

Benj-FAH003_lg.jpg

We do have K valve tanks. Thanks for the info! I'll keep you up to date on how the gun does when we get it.

On 1/29/2018 at 12:26 PM, GoneBallistic said:

I'll keep you up to date on how the gun does when we get it.

Look forward to your review.  After watching the video about the Sumatra rifle I may have to look into getting something like this.  Below are a couple of photos of my set up charging a Crosman Challenger rifle.

k2SlfLl.jpg6JjLhvm.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I am also familiar with PCP air rifles. You may have to go with a Fireman style SCBA tank setup as they will fill to 4500psi. The Sumatra air gun you have chosen will need to be filled to 3000-3300 psi. I dont Know if there are any SCUBA tanks rated for at least 3500psi?  I believe the  fill pressure on the crosman target gun is around 2000psi and that is why you can use a standard SCUBA tank to fill with.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Look for aluminum based fiberglass reinforced 4200-4300 PSI tanks, have one here in G/T from CA (lived near ocean in CA). Hydro test won't last as long and neither will the tank (shorter lifespan like a carbon fiber tank). The difference on a 200 bar rifle tank fill with the extra headroom of the SCUBA, will get LOTS of fills, not just a few. Call to the dive shop and ensure they WILL fill a prospective tank to 4k plus, some shops won't go that high and don't press their reserves and compressors that hard. Exotic gas tanks for diving are rated for higher pressure (Nitrox)/ Its a Nitrox tank your looking for (had to remember as I typed).

There is no reason to invest in a compressor, crazy expensive, I got fills for $7.00 in CA, wouldn't trade the cost of a personal compressor and electricity bill for anything.

You CAN shop for a fire department that might do it for you if you have friendly fire dept. The SCOTT tanks they use are 4500's and they usually keep their reserves topped off at firehouse. Nitrox tanks give that extra edge w/o the high cost of carbon fiber and have much higher capacity per dollar.

I shoot Hatsan AT44 PCP, 22 and 25, on steroids (modded valves, seats and regulators). The accuracy of their PCPs (unsure of yours specifically) is stupid and dusting animals with headshot at 80 yards plus (I mean calling a shot to the throat on a bird the size of a dove and landing it 90% of the time, even in wind and extremes) and threading a pellet between branches and leaves to do it, its simply stupid.

Addictive level of silent fun on a powerful platform that is cost effective to shoot.

Mike