S&W snubby info needed

Tuffus

A friend of mine inherited a Model 60 S&W from her dad when he died. She never even knew he owned a gun until he was gone. It's a pinned barrel Model 60 in .38 special, stainless steel. Serial number R185XXX. Does anyone here know about when it was made? Best I can guess it was between 1969 and 1983. It's in perfect condition with the original box. She doesn't want to sell it but would like to know it's value. Thanks.

Edited by Tuffus

That serial number puts it between 1974 & 1977. I would think it would probably be 1977 as that year ended with serial number R1900000. But only a S&W letter can say for sure.  It should be a Model 60-1. Best guess on value with box and in excellent condition would be about $400-450. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

That serial number puts it between 1974 & 1977. I would think it would probably be 1977 as that year ended with serial number R1900000. But only a S&W letter can say for sure.  It should be a Model 60-1. Best guess on value with box and in excellent condition would be about $400-450. 

Thanks Grayfox, I double checked in case my eyes deceived me but it's definitely a no dash model 60. I'll pass the info along to my friend. She will appreciate knowing about when he purchased it. She is shocked to know he had it all those years and she never knew.

A 60-1 is a very rare 3” model.   I have a non pinned 60 no dash made in 1983.  The no dash models ran from the begging all the way until about 87.  A mint in box, pinned 60 no dash is probably worth up to $650.  One without the box and with signs of minor carry wear is probably worth as much as $450.  The j frame market has went down some over the last two years.  I am seeing lots of nolock j frames for around $350 right now.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Patton said:

A 60-1 is a very rare 3” model.  

Not all -1’s. They were made from 72-86. There was a limited production run of 171 in 72 that was a square butt 3” heavy barrel version. One of those would be gold.

37 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Not all -1’s. They were made from 72-86. There was a limited production run of 171 in 72 that was a square butt 3” heavy barrel version. One of those would be gold.

I don’t really understand what you are trying to say.  Are you saying there are -1’s that are not 3” barrels or that 3” without a full-lug lug is not rare?  I looked for years for a 3” pencil barrel, or one without a full-lug like the 60-4and 60-10 has.

Edit: It looks like the 60-1 is actually the adjustable sight 2”.

Edited by Patton
39 minutes ago, Patton said:

I don’t really understand what you are trying to say.  Are you saying there are -1’s that are not 3” barrels or that 3” without a full-lug lug is not rare?  

No, I'm saying that the -1 is various models made over 15 years; not just one model and not just one barrel length.

XSq5vLQ.jpg

• Like 1