AR lower finishes?

DaveTN

I’m kicking around the idea of building an AR pistol. I’ll probably just order a complete kit (less lower of course) from PSA.

I would like it all to match (finish). Are there any  lowers that match the PSA stuff better than others? (Other than PSA lowers) I'll probably try to find a lower locally.

46 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Black anodizing is black anodizing. Anderson lowers match anything I've seen to my satisfaction.

Not true. My Double star lower doesn't match anything. Here's an Anderson Lower with a PSA upper. If that isn't close enough, just get a PSA lower transferred in.

IMG_3268.jpg

IMG_3269.jpg

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Not true. My Double star lower doesn't match anything. Here's an Anderson Lower with a PSA upper. If that isn't close enough, just get a PSA lower transferred in.

Thanks Mike, any particular reason you used an Anderson instead of a PSA lower? Have you been happy with what you have from PSA?

Right now all they have available at PSA for pistol kits have an A2 sight post; I don’t want that.

Any other places you guys recommend I should look for full kits?

19 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Thanks Mike, any particular reason you used an Anderson instead of a PSA lower? Have you been happy with what you have from PSA?

Right now all they have available at PSA for pistol kits have an A2 sight post; I don’t want that.

I bought the lowers locally. I think they were a good price. Almost none of my guns have matching receivers. Maybe just the TGO guns.

I have been VERY happy with the PSA product. Built me a truck gun because there was a sale. Then built a couple for my brother and my girlfriend's son. My brother had me upgrade his with a BCM handguard, a Geissele trigger and a Magpul stock. While I was at it. I lapped the upper receiver. That gun shoots sub MOA now, with the cheap PSA stainless barrel that came on it.

3 hours ago, gjohnsoniv said:

Isn't PSA proprietary to PSA? I might be thinking of a different group but I had it in my mind that you were stuck using them. 

Proprietary in what way?  Their 9mm and .308 AR’s might have some compatibility issues with parts but there is no standard for those.  Their regular AR’s are just that, regular, or as “mil-spec” as is possible in the civilian market.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

The dealers I've seen that have lowers in stock usually have Andersons. Buying one already in stock saves on transfer fees, shipping, and wait times.

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

Proprietary in what way?  Their 9mm and .308 AR’s might have some compatibility issues with parts but there is no standard for those.  Their regular AR’s are just that, regular, or as “mil-spec” as is possible in the civilian market.

That was in reference to the 9mm specifically. Again, I don't know where I heard that but I was thinking there was some form of issue with using a non-PSA lower with a PSA upper or vice versa. 

21 minutes ago, gjohnsoniv said:

That was in reference to the 9mm specifically. Again, I don't know where I heard that but I was thinking there was some form of issue with using a non-PSA lower with a PSA upper or vice versa. 

There have been all kinds of problems with their 9mm’s from what I hear.  Constantly changing parts, specs, this and that kind of lower, compatibility with other manufacturers, etc.  Again, there is no standard for those.

Their AR-15 stuff is compatible with anyone else’s.

5 minutes ago, Garufa said:

There have been all kinds of problems with their 9mm’s from what I hear.  Constantly changing parts, specs, this and that kind of lower, compatibility with other manufacturers, etc.  Again, there is no standard for those.

I just got a 9mm upper and lower from PSA, that way no issues.  Their AR gear is indead compatible with many mfgs, I've had uppers on andersons, DPMS, S&W, Spikes etc., with no issues.

18 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I just realized he was talking a pistol AR, not a pistol CALIBER AR.  That's my bad.

38 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

There is a Shot Show Deal at PSA with no A2 sight. 10.5 inch barrel. Not sure if priced the way you want, but has bcc and charging handle. 

Thanks Ronald…. Order placed. Upper and lower are both Blems, but I’ll take the chance. :up:

I kinda wanted to build one myself, but I guess I'll do that on the next one.

38 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Thanks Ronald…. Order placed. Upper and lower are both Blems, but I’ll take the chance. :up:

I kinda wanted to build one myself, but I guess I'll do that on the next one.

You are welcome. I have a pistol lower coming from them too. I got a KAK model.

Like Mike said, I hear that the blemishes are hard to spot. 

I have found that building them is over rated unless you have very specific parts you want. Like lots of things, buying one from a place that gets discounts for million item orders ends up being cheaper. 

I've been lucky,  none of my PSA blems have anything close to that shading problem.   But, that wouldn't be an issue for me; you got a nice brace there, that a PSA offered model?  I seen them, and like them but just a bit more than I wanted to spend.

23 minutes ago, Omega said:

I've been lucky,  none of my PSA blems have anything close to that shading problem.   But, that wouldn't be an issue for me; you got a nice brace there, that a PSA offered model?  I seen them, and like them but just a bit more than I wanted to spend.

No its a 80% lower with a SB-PDW brace, I got the brace for $185 on BF.