AR lower finishes?

DaveTN

13 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Thanks Ronald…. Order placed. Upper and lower are both Blems, but I’ll take the chance. :up:

I kinda wanted to build one myself, but I guess I'll do that on the next one.

You can always take it apart and put it back together.:D

15 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I kinda wanted to build one myself, but I guess I'll do that on the next one.

Building them is really fun and low stress if you have the tools. My first one was stressful because I didn't have any of the cool tools. Fast forward somewhere around 20 builds, and I have everything now. I can focus on the little extra care, which is the true benefit of assembling your own guns. Of course, you get to pick your parts too. Not a small deal if you want something more than dirt cheap. Of course, you can always upgrade.

6 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Building them is really fun and low stress if you have the tools. My first one was stressful because I didn't have any of the cool tools. Fast forward somewhere around 20 builds, and I have everything now. I can focus on the little extra care, which is the true benefit of assembling your own guns. Of course, you get to pick your parts too. Not a small deal if you want something more than dirt cheap. Of course, you can always upgrade.

Yea, I kinda figured that. I’m a Toolmaker so I have most all the tools with the exception of specialty tools. I figure I’ll get on here sometime and get a list of them so I have them when I decide to build something.

1 minute ago, mikegideon said:

Most I have dealt with were one. That's how I wound up building the gun pictured above, and its twin.

Thanks, I'll check with my FFL when I pick up this lower.

18 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Yea, I kinda figured that. I’m a Toolmaker so I have most all the tools with the exception of specialty tools. I figure I’ll get on here sometime and get a list of them so I have them when I decide to build something.

I knew you were. They're pretty much all specialty tools. Roll pin and roll pin starter punches, receiver vise blocks and specialized assembly blocks. I use an impact style center punch to stake the castle nut, but you can use an old school center punch. Click type torque wrench for the barrel nut. Armorer's wrench.

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Thanks, I'll check with my FFL when I pick up this lower.

If your a tool and die marker then this is a walk in the park, no FFL needed, only a 80% lower.

IMG_20170113_191000524_HDR_zps3dmi1kyy

14 minutes ago, Johnny Rotten said:

If your a tool and die marker then this is a walk in the park, no FFL needed, only a 80% lower.

Yea, I looked at those at Thunder Tactical. I want a finish, so machining a lower isn’t something I’m really interested in, and doesn’t save much if any on the price. If I was going to do that I would just machine the whole thing from billet.