Finally got to shoot my XD .45

ThomasH

Finally got to shoot my XD .45 Service today: 20 rounds of PMC Gold Starfire 230 grain SFHP, 100 rounds of Remington bulk pack 230 grain JHP, 64 rounds of mixed 230gr. JHP, and 120 rounds of Blazer 230 grain aluminum case......no FTF or FTE at all!....the 3 dot sight picture is ok but at some point Ill have to get either a fiber optic front or maybe a BigDot front sight......the sights are center of mass at 5 yards.

Yep, they're generally about as reliable with various ammo as the best renditions from any maker.

When I first got my XD Subbie 9, I tried everything I could to see if I could produce a stoppage, like mixing different loads in same mag, shooting with no wrist at all, etc.

Having said that though, I did have two stoppages with my XD 9 Service last time I was out. Both with the Win USA Forged stuff, so perhaps that is one load they may not like, not sure, haven't shot much of it yet in various guns.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
16 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

Having said that though, I did have two stoppages with my XD 9 Service last time I was out. Both with the Win USA Forged stuff, so perhaps that is one load they may not like, not sure, haven't shot much of it yet in various guns.

- OS

Does the Win USA Forged come in .45 and is it priced reasonably?

The XD is a fantastic pistol! I've never had an issue with mine and find it a great fit in my hand and love the fact the magazines hold 13 Rds. The trigger is exceptional! The stock sights are lame and I am thinking  about adding night sights to my service model. 

Cant speak of the Win USA ammo but I've never had any failures in mine with any of the ammo I've tried. 

Congrats and enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree on the WWB. I've bought a few thousand rounds over the years, mostly because it was all that I could get. Also as OhShoot says...it was cheap.

It was always pretty good. More accuracy capable than I am. Had a few fte/ftf over the years, but nothing really frequent. Those will happen pretty much sooner or later to everyone.

But as Steelharp notes, yeah, it leaves a lot of residue.

My favorite commercial loads in 45/9 for target and range use include Sellier&Belliot, Fiochi, and strangely enough, the BlazerBrass is pretty good too.

Sorry, I got a bit off the topic here. I have a 5" XD45 that I trade into about 6 years ago. It is absolutely a fantastic pistol. I cannot find but one flaw with it and the rest of the full size XD line...they are bulky. Great for recreation. A bit large for carry, at least for me.

21 minutes ago, ThomasH said:

Took her back for another session.  Tried using just one hand and 2 FTF one was a stovepipe and the other was the slide had locked into battery.......lesson learned 2 handed strong grip with a grip safety striker......

Those problems have nothing to do with the grip safety.  Sounds like limp-wristing to me.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:58 AM, Will Carry said:

The XD-45 is a great handgun. It will serve you well. I traded mine for a PPQ-45. The PPQ is a fine handgun but no better than the XD in most aspects.

I agree. I went bonkers wanting a PPQ45 when I heard of it. I did get one, and was somewhat let down. The fine handling characteristics I love so much in the 9mm version elude me in the 45. For me anyway, the recoil is a bit uncomfortable and awkward. Seems that with the bore axis so high in the 45, it is harder for me to adjust to.

As you say, a fine handgun. just not quite a perfect fit for me. 

• Like 1

I keep hearing good things about the XD line.  I just picked up a new XDE-45. I had been carrying a full size FNP-45 with 16 rounds and finally the weight got to me, lol, so i wanted to downsize. Plan on shooting it this weekend but so far I love the gun. Love the front fiber optic.  Not sure why, but I dont like striker fired guns...May be a little bit of the traditionalist in me coming out, but I prefer hammer fired.