HOW TO POST A PICTURE WITH IMGUR

5 hours ago, DaveTN said:

In the lower right hand corner select “INSERT OTHER MEDIA” and then select “Insert image from URL”

(Shown Below)

oDL5aw6.jpg

Tip: you don't need to do that extra step, just paste the image URL directly into the post where you want it to appear.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 1/28/2018 at 9:44 AM, DaveTN said:

It seems people are having trouble posting pictures since Photobucket committed suicide. IMGUR is free and appears to work fine for me.

So I thought I would share a quick “How to” on posting images in a post or starting a thread.

Double click on the image you want to post. You will see a bunch of choices down the right side with buttons. Click the “COPY” button next to “DIRECT LINK”. The address is now copied to the memory of your computer. (Shown Below)

KvbnOXQ.jpg

Now you can either start a thread or respond to a post, whatever you are doing and type whatever info you want. Then hit the enter key so you will be posting the picture below the next, not next to it.

In the lower right hand corner select “INSERT OTHER MEDIA” and then select “Insert image from URL”

(Shown Below)

oDL5aw6.jpg

When you do that a box will open up for you to put the address (URL) of your picture in. Click inside the box and paste the address you have stored in memory in to it. The Windows shortcut for paste is Ctrl/V. (While holding down the CTRL key, tap the V key) The address from IMGUR is now pasted into the box.

(Shown Below)

synaDMe.jpg

Then click the “Insert into post button” and you picture will appear.

(Shown Below)

S7X5oKT.jpg

Here’s another tip about pictures….

When you quote a post with a bunch of pictures in it, we don’t really need to see them all again so you can post “Cool”. If you want to quote what the person said without all the pictures being reposted; just click on them and hit the delete key. It will remove the pictures, leave the text.  :cheers:

I will "try" that. Life is becoming to "Techie" for an 80 yr old. :-)

EDIT: I tried to post a picture here as a test, procedure did not work for me. Prbably something I didn't do?  Nothing changed in the box (URL ADDRESS BOX) when I tried to "Paste" address from computer using CTRL and V keys. Also, tried using the "Paste" under "Edit" on my computer.  

Edited by PAULSHOOT
Add Information that Procedure did Not Work for Me?

I see now I did not understand the first step (Click the COPY next to DIRECT LINK). 

I was in my computer files looking at an Image and right clicked that image. Then clicked COPY. There is not a Direct Link line.

Apparently the  image you are clicking is in some other web site IMGUR as you mentioned IMGUR in opening statement.

How do you use IMGUR?  Send all your pictures there first?  

Edited by PAULSHOOT
  • Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2018 at 8:58 PM, PAULSHOOT said:

I will "try" that. Life is becoming to "Techie" for an 80 yr old. :-)

EDIT: I tried to post a picture here as a test, procedure did not work for me. Prbably something I didn't do?  Nothing changed in the box (URL ADDRESS BOX) when I tried to "Paste" address from computer using CTRL and V keys. Also, tried using the "Paste" under "Edit" on my computer.  

I will try again -- wrote down the steps this time (it seems complicated for an Old Gezzer LOL).

I am trying to follow the procedure - see what happens. It's an Anniversary Picture (our 60th). 

SAD  -- Did not work.  I did not get past the first step Thanks for the effort to inform. 😀

Quote "Double click on the image you want to post. You will see a bunch of choices down the right side with buttons. Click the “COPY” button next to “DIRECT LINK”. The address is now copied to the memory of your computer. (Shown Below)" Quote

When I double clicked (Left Click) the Image in My File, all I got was the image opened using Photo Gallery. Saw No Screen for a Direct Link as shown in the example.

When I double clicked (Right Click) the image in My File, all I got was the normal fold out for options to open the picture.

ALSO, I tried to Drag the file into the box below -- Got a MSG basically saying not allowed. Only web site I have been on with the problem, wonder why? 

Quote "Try this instead. Click “COPY” next to “BBCode”

Put your cursor where you want the picture placed in your forum text. Then do “Ctrl + V” (While holding down the CTRL key, simply tap the V key one time.) You will not see the picture yet, you will see the text of the address. When you pick “PREVIEW” or post the message the picture will be there." Quote

Sorry, I don't know what BBCode is? Where or when does that show up?  

Quote "Sounds to me like you are in "FILE EXPLORER" on your computer. You can't put a picture in a thread from your PC. You need to make an account and host the picture here first.... https://imgur.com/  " Quote 

Thanks Dave - that is exactly what I was trying to do (computer file). I will take a look at 

https://imgur.com/  and see what is involved in setting up an account. So, many accounts on web sites now that I have a paper file to keep track of them. GROAN

1 minute ago, DaveTN said:

Don't do that, just copy the link from the BBCode; you don't have to pick anything. (Other than 'PREVIEW" to see the picture in the post.)

Have you uploaded the picture to IMGUR?

OK I have not looked at IMGUR yet. Not sure worth all the trouble, but I will check. Thanks again.  

Quote "Can you email a picture? If you can I will give you an email address that you can send your picture to. I will post it and show you instructions on what I did." Quote

I can EMail Pictures - do a lot of that.

I took a quick look at the IMGUR site. Debating if I want to get involved with it. 🙄 Guess everything you put on there shows up like all the pictures I see when I opened the site. Maybe be like FACEBOOK (100s of E Mails). 

Try a Picture with IMGUR.

https://paulpicture.imgur.com/all

I did Register IMGUR and posted a test picture (TN Motorcycle Road).  

I tried to follow the long steps to get a picture in a post. All I could do was the link above which I COPIED and used the CTRL V to paste the link to IMGUR. 

Picture opens when you click the link above - not what I wanted. GROAN

Edited by PAULSHOOT

Okay, lets start with creating an IMGUR account.

This is the opening page. in the upper right corner click on “SIGN UP”

KV3P6yl.jpg

On this next page make up a username, email, password, and a phone number.

QNrqj9x.jpg

On this next page put in the 7 didgit verification code that was texted to you, and check “I AM NOT A ROBOT”

Cv45UiO.jpg

You should now be logged in with your user name in the upper right corner

O27w0yW.jpg

Now click on the button to the right of your name so the menu shown here appears. Click on “IMAGES”

8QkNLNi.jpg

On this screen click the green “ADD IMAGES” box.

lbyDszw.jpg

On this screen click on “BROWSE” button. This will open a file explorer window. Direct it to where your pictures are stored on your computer. Then select the picture you want to upload and pick ‘OPEN”.

cE6IItL.jpg

It now shows you a list of your stored images. Click on the image you want to put in your TGO post.

UgzwLf4.jpg

Simply click on the blue box that says “COPY” and is next to “BBCode”. The link is now stored in your computers memory.

qlTSLtA.jpg

Now go to your TGO post, put the cursor wherever you want the image to be and hit CTRL +V. That will put the link in. It will simply show you the address of the link when you do that, but if you select “PREVIEW” or simply submit the post the picture will appear.

hIOnMJ5.jpg

Edited by DaveTN
  • Thanks 1

I will try and My Gosh -- Thanks for all your effort and time and detail steps. Appreciate the effort you put into this.   Hopefully, benefit OTHERS as well. 

That said, guess you noticed I did set up an account and placed an image into IMGUR and I did  get the link to the photo into a REPLY (that reply was just before your last Reply with instructions).

Now I will try your final steps to see if I can get a picture in the Reply. 

EDIT --- IT WORKED 🙂 I did not see the Preview you mentioned, but the Submit changed the link in the reply to the actual picture. 

Spnx6EC.jpg 

Edited by PAULSHOOT
  • Like 1

It's a considerable Process to get a picture. 

You did such a good job even including the views of screens. I imagine I will need to copy the steps onto paper for the next time.

This is a wonderful site (TGO) to share information. However, I wish they had a better picture procedure (like most other sites).