Remington Tac14/ Mossberg Shockwave question

Over the past few weeks, I’ve considered purchasing a Remington 870 TAC 14 primarily as a fun range toy and relatively inexpensive truck gun.  However, while doing some research, I’ve seen a lot of debate over the legality of using it as a “truck gun” and keeping it loaded in a persons vehicle.  Because the ATF classified it as a “firearm” rather than a “pistol”, Is it legal to be loaded and carried in my vehicle?  For what it’s worth, I have a TN HCP.  Thanks.

53 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

In TN you may have any loaded firearm in a private vehicle, no permit required, simple as that.  To leave in vehicle on school property or posted property, you do need a permit.

- OS

I didn't think it included rifles though; is it just pistols or does it include long guns as well?

1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

Any firearm. Statute changes three sessions ago.

- OS

Hmm, I wonder how this jives with the hunting reg?  I never needed a loaded rifle in my truck for hunting, but it was a PITA to unload it just to move from one hunting location to another; or when just having lunch in foul weather.  

22 minutes ago, Omega said:

Hmm, I wonder how this jives with the hunting reg?  I never needed a loaded rifle in my truck for hunting, but it was a PITA to unload it just to move from one hunting location to another; or when just having lunch in foul weather.  

Wouldn't you have to be holding the firearm to be "hunting"?

- OS

• Like 1

Anytime I’ve seen someone question if they could be charged involving firearms possession my first question is always “How did the firearm become an issue?” Just because the ATF says something is “legal” doesn’t mean you can’t be charged and have to go to trial.

A Few years ago a Sumner County DA got a Grand Jury indictment on a HCP holder for possession of an illegal handgun for having a PLR-16 in his car. The DA claimed it was a SBR. An ATF agent was supposedly going to testify at his trial that it was legal.

If I recall correctly a friend of the HCP holder was arrested from the HCP holders car with cocaine on him. A deal to dismiss was made with the HCP holder requiring him to sell the PLR-16. Cased closed.

I want a small rifle for a trunk gun; so I ordered an AR-Pistol.  I think the Pistol I have ordered and the shotgun you are considering both violate the intent of the law. However the AFT says they do not. Will that stop either of us from being arrested by a cop that doesn’t know, or charged by a DA that doesn’t agree with the ATF? I don’t think so. I’m at minimal risk for that happening, but I will carry copies of sales receipts (showing a pistol lower) and copy of any ATF documentation I can find.

• Like 2

The wrong cop on the wrong day can run your day any time. Best the radio but take the ride is an old saying that comes to mind. 

I think it comes down to the situation. Your behavior is probably a bigger factor than what you have in your vehicle for a firearm. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

In TN you may have any loaded firearm in a private vehicle, no permit required, simple as that.  To leave in vehicle on school property or posted property, you do need a permit.

- OS

Not wanting to hijack the thread, Oh Shoot, but does this apply on federal property like the post office parking lot? i.e.  HCP permit holders can leave a firearm in locked vehicle while running into the post office to buy stamps or not?

5 hours ago, JAlexanderMSgt said:

Not wanting to hijack the thread, Oh Shoot, but does this apply on federal property like the post office parking lot? i.e.  HCP permit holders can leave a firearm in locked vehicle while running into the post office to buy stamps or not?

TN cannot override federal law (even though sometimes it thinks it can, like Firearm Freedom Act).

- OS

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

TN cannot override federal law (even though sometimes it thinks it can, like Firearm Freedom Act).

- OS

Supposedly you can have them in the parking lots, just not inside.

Citizens can legally carry firearms in post office parking lots, a federal judge has ruled. The case stems from a lawsuit filed by Tab Bonidy, a resident of rural Avon, Colorado, who was prohibited by U.S. Postal Service regulations from carrying his gun on postal service property.Jul 11, 2013

https://www.cnn.com/2013/07/11/us/guns-post-office/index.html

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Omega said:

Supposedly you can have them in the parking lots, just not inside.

https://www.cnn.com/2013/07/11/us/guns-post-office/index.html

Colorado is a long way to drop off a package. :)

Seriously, though it is indeed case law to support a prosecution, it only applies to the area of that judge's jurisdiction.

Also seriously though, nobody ever gets charged with having a firearm in their vehicle in PO parking lot, 'cept maybe an employee.

- OS

• Like 1
  • Moderators
Colorado is a long way to drop off a package. default_smile.png
Seriously, though it is indeed case law to support a prosecution, it only applies to the area of that judge's jurisdiction.
Also seriously though, nobody ever gets charged with having a firearm in their vehicle in PO parking lot, 'cept maybe an employee.
- OS

Or someone that breaks bigger and more apparent laws at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
On 1/30/2018 at 3:00 PM, Oh Shoot said:

- OS

You know, I KNEW that, but sometimes i start hoping for the best...like when I first read about the act you mentioned...I think Montana and maybe Texas did something similar a while back.  Seems like I remember the ATF sending out letters to TN FFL holders at the time, warning them that Federal law supersedes TN law or something like that.  Thanks, man, I appreciate your knowledge in this.

On 1/30/2018 at 6:24 AM, DaveTN said:

Anytime I’ve seen someone question if they could be charged involving firearms possession my first question is always “How did the firearm become an issue?” Just because the ATF says something is “legal” doesn’t mean you can’t be charged and have to go to trial.

A Few years ago a Sumner County DA got a Grand Jury indictment on a HCP holder for possession of an illegal handgun for having a PLR-16 in his car. The DA claimed it was a SBR. An ATF agent was supposedly going to testify at his trial that it was legal.

If I recall correctly a friend of the HCP holder was arrested from the HCP holders car with cocaine on him. A deal to dismiss was made with the HCP holder requiring him to sell the PLR-16. Cased closed.

I want a small rifle for a trunk gun; so I ordered an AR-Pistol.  I think the Pistol I have ordered and the shotgun you are considering both violate the intent of the law. However the AFT says they do not. Will that stop either of us from being arrested by a cop that doesn’t know, or charged by a DA that doesn’t agree with the ATF? I don’t think so. I’m at minimal risk for that happening, but I will carry copies of sales receipts (showing a pistol lower) and copy of any ATF documentation I can find.

That has a lot of truth to it.

The fact is, you could have a illegal machine gun in your truck, and if you otherwise behave, the chances of you getting caught are very low. 

You can have a AR pistol with Sig Brace and go places you shouldn’t and hang around people you shouldn’t, your chances of being charged with a firearm violation are higher than average.

By far, the reason to be charged with some firearm violation, has way more to do with your behavior than it does the configuration of the firearm.

• Like 1