FAL Receiver Wrench

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, peejman said:

I made my own receiver wrench. It ain't pretty, but it worked.  

I strongly recommend a big vice bolted to something very strong.  I ripped the vice off my wood workbench in the process.   

Hey peejman,

im just curious, were you taking Off the Receiver Stub when you Broke the workbench? Were you Putting the Barrel onto the New Receiver? I want to make sure that I understand exactly what you were doing when that Happened?

I almost Broke my workbench when I was taking the Stub off, but then I had a good idea, and it saved my Workbench. Now I’m trying to get the barrel into the Receiver, it’s at the 11 o’clock position and it’s for the Most part All the way in the Receiver. If I Get a Good Wrench I will either get it in just the  right amount and everything will work out Great, or I’m going to Break something. And the Barrel looks to be Bottomed Out inside of the New Receiver.  

Edited by Tooreal
Responding to a post left by another member.

I broke it during receiver installation. A 3ft cheater bar will do that... 

Getting the stub off was pretty easy. I cut into the charging handle notch with a cutoff wheel until I could see threads. Then a few whacks with a cold chisel popped it  loose. 

Installation for mine sounds similar to yours. Honestly, you'll never get it to turn that much further once its bottomed out. I used sanding disks to cut the barrel shoulder back enough to get it to line up without requiring an absurd amount of torque. It still required the cheater bar, but I didn't have one foot on the vice pulling for all I was worth. 

I judged alignment with a home-made tool. I threaded a rod to go in the front sight post and put another rod on the bolt rails. I called it good enough when those rods were parallel. I also used a laser bore sighter to compare with the sights to confirm it was pretty close.  I've only shot the rifle once, but windage was darn close at 50 yds.

I've got Forester headspace gauges and a few other things laying around.  You're welcome to borrow them if you need them.  

I cut mine off the Exact same way and 1 Hit with a cold chisel Broke it Loose.If you really don’t mind, I would appreciate using the Forester Headspace gauges and the alignment rods you made too. I was going to make a set of Rods if I could, but if you already have them that’d be Awesome!! I never even thought of using a Laser, that’s a Great idea Too! 

I did order the Receiver Wrench from FAL Tools and I’m Hoping it will be delivered tomorrow, by the Postal Service, 2 Day Delivery. What area do you live in? I’m in the South Nashville area, but travel. 

Thank You So Much 

Eric

i have been pressing Submit this message for several hours, but it hasn’t loaded into the message board, still?

13 hours ago, Tooreal said:

I cut mine off the Exact same way and 1 Hit with a cold chisel Broke it Loose.If you really don’t mind, I would appreciate using the Forester Headspace gauges and the alignment rods you made too. I was going to make a set of Rods if I could, but if you already have them that’d be Awesome!! I never even thought of using a Laser, that’s a Great idea Too! 

I did order the Receiver Wrench from FAL Tools and I’m Hoping it will be delivered tomorrow, by the Postal Service, 2 Day Delivery. What area do you live in? I’m in the South Nashville area, but travel. 

Thank You So Much 

Eric

i have been pressing Submit this message for several hours, but it hasn’t loaded into the message board, still?

I'm in Maryville, south of Knoxville.  I don't mind mailing them if you're not going to be this way. 

I didn’t realize you were so far away from Nashville? Maryville is Several hours away from here. I checked with Midsouth Shooters Supply and they have the No Go Gage, but the Go Gage is on Back Order. 

If you are Sure that you Don’t Mind loaning me the Gages and the Alignment Tools that you made, that would be Awesome! I should have the Receiver Wrench by Monday or Tuesday.

I would be More than Happy to Rent them from you, or Pay you for letting me use them? Maybe I have something that you would like to have as an Accessory for Your favorite AR, or whatever type of Gun you have (or Like the Best)? That would make me feel Better about using your tools, by showing my appreciation, or Gratitude for you letting me Bother them..

Thank You So Much and let me know what you think?

I will talk to you soon & have a Wonderful Night  

Tooreal 

AKA; Eric