Nashville council may probe whether mayor's affair was 'on taxpayers' dime'

What has happened is we, as a society, have went from "not on my watch" to "business as usual, so why care". We see it every single day, politicians doing things that are not only against the law but against the basic morals this country was founded on. We have gotten so numb to the corruption that as long as it doesn't affect us personally we have no problem sticking our heads in the sand and hoping it will get better, eventually.

Today's elections are not about finding good, honest politicians but about voting for the one that stinks the least and that is not what this country should be. Both parties want control and the two parties are there to ensure at least one controls the majority while the other distracts the remainder. And this isn't about party lines either, both parties do it and they have become two sides of the same coin. They do not want us to be free and dare I say it but if you look around we are hardly the free country we once were. Government has moved into every single aspect of our lives. Every day there are more laws put on the books to turn any one of us into a criminal because once you are a criminal the government has the right to control you.  Laws, rules and regulations are made on a whim, often without a vote, then enforced under threat of violence because some bureaucrat thinks a segment of the population should be made into criminals. The only real difference between us and most dictatorships is we are given permission to reelect dictators chosen for us every four years. Regardless of who or what party is in control we are still being controlled by those in government.

I don't care how much it would cost, hold her accountable to the fullest extent the law will allow. Throw her ass in jail and make an example of her for anyone else who might try to break the law. That is the only way to fix it, letting them off to save money doesn't fix it and only serves to tell others that they can also break laws with impunity. All of us here are expected to follow the law and if we do not we will face the consequences, regardless of the cost, so the same should be the same for everyone. Unless we decide to actually stand up and demand these corrupt politicians be held accountable they will continue.

And if we cannot hold those corrupt politicians accountable under the law we must hold them accountable at the voting booth if they have not already made you a criminal.

• Like 8

The superior/subordinate relationship comes into play here, but it's somewhat of an indirect route.  While it doesn't take a block and line chart to show the head of a protective detail for the Mayor in essence works for the Mayor's office, it's not exactly the powerful figure sleeping with the powerless employee we see in the normal affair scandals when it's a man in the position of power.  I would find it hard to think that the Sergeant was in fear of denying or ending the affair, which is what I view as needed to have an abuse of authority...but I'm open to evidence to the contrary on that.

That said, the existing professional relationship would have left the Mayor and police Sergeant vulnerable to blackmail, which is where I actually care about what went on.  Consenting adults can do what they want and face the consequences at home all they want, when those consenting adults are an officer of the law and a the mayor, we run into situations where "I get this contract with the city or I call channels 2, 4, &, 5" or "go into the records and tell me [insert privileged info here], or I call channels 2, 4, & 5" come into play.  That's where we need to actually have ethics standards for public officials.  Not sure how deep these standards in Metro law, but where they exist, they need to be enforced, up to and including termination and removal from office.

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

Today's elections are not about finding good, honest politicians but about voting for the one that stinks the least and that is not what this country should be. Both parties want control and the two parties are there to ensure at least one controls the majority while the other distracts the remainder. And this isn't about party lines either, both parties do it and they have become two sides of the same coin. They do not want us to be free and dare I say it but if you look around we are hardly the free country we once were. Government has moved into every single aspect of our lives. Every day there are more laws put on the books to turn any one of us into a criminal because once you are a criminal the government has the right to control you.  Laws, rules and regulations are made on a whim, often without a vote, then enforced under threat of violence because some bureaucrat thinks a segment of the population should be made into criminals. The only real difference between us and most dictatorships is we are given permission to reelect dictators chosen for us every four years. Regardless of who or what party is in control we are still being controlled by those in government.

We are not free men, we are slaves. This fact was readily apparent to the more observant over a century and a half ago  

“A man is none the less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years. Neither are a people any the less slaves because permitted periodically to choose new masters. What makes them slaves is the fact that they now are, and are always hereafter to be, in the hands of men whose power over them is, and always is to be, absolute and irresponsible.
The right of absolute and irresponsible dominion is the right of property, and the right of property is the right of absolute, irresponsible dominion. The two are identical; the one necessarily implying the other. Neither can exist without the other. If, therefore, Congress have that absolute and irresponsible lawmaking power, which the Constitution — according to their interpretation of it — gives them, it can only be because they own us as property. If they own us as property, they are our masters, and their will is our law. If they do not own us as property, they are not our masters, and their will, as such, is of no authority over us.
But these men who claim and exercise this absolute and irresponsible dominion over us, dare not be consistent, and claim either to be our masters, or to own us as property. They say they are only our servants, agents, attorneys, and representatives. But this declaration involves an absurdity, a contradiction. No man can be my servant, agent, attorney, or representative, and be, at the same time, uncontrollable by me, and irresponsible to me for his acts. It is of no importance that I appointed him, and put all power in his hands. If I made him uncontrollable by me, and irresponsible to me, he is no longer my servant, agent, attorney, or representative. If I gave him absolute, irresponsible power over my property, I gave him the property. If I gave him absolute, irresponsible power over myself, I made him my master, and gave myself to him as a slave. And it is of no importance whether I called him master or servant, agent or owner. The only question is, what power did I put into his hands? Was it an absolute and irresponsible one? or a limited and responsible one?”

Lysander Spooner

The discussion of politics, sooner or later is bound to lead to hurt feelings, no way around it..With that being said, I believe this particular community is too close knit to discuss politics without it becoming a problem, especially after this past election cycle lol..

There are plenty of other forums where you can let your opinions fly without much blowback, and plenty of differing opinions to get all bent out of shape about ;) I find that if I hit the keys on my computer really hard when I type out a response, that it really makes the other person know that you're serious..:bowrofl:

Oddly enough, I find myself more active in other areas of this site without the politics.. :)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Hozzie said:

David,  Take it for what it's worth (not much probably :)), but I think the reason so many do come here to talk politics is most regulars see the others on this forum as friends (and quite honestly more than a gun forum) and it is what friends talk about.  Granted, it is much easier in most cases to discuss a topic with those who most likely agree with you, but as we know, we have very diverse group on here.

I don't always agree with one side or the other and in many cases have said to myself, what the hell is wrong with that person, but there are also many cases where some comment has made me rethink a position.  I believe the world has its issues today because everyone is so worried about hurt feelings.  We certainly should remain civil and not attack personally (well, unless it's really needed for extenuating circumstances ;)), but I personally believe it is also what brings people to this site.  I guess I was brought up to defend my opinion, hopefully with facts.  I am not above changing my opinion if someone can convince me.  But I also am perfectly ok saying we will have to agree to disagree.  More people need to learn to do that IMO.

If I am honest, most of the gun talk on here has nothing to do with anything I do with guns.  I am not into tactical mumbo jumbo, or carrying 24/7, or which plastic gun is the newest.  I suspect I am not alone.  My passion is rimfire's and there is virtually no discussion of rimfires on this forum.  Probably because there are dedicated rimfire forums, I get that.  My point is simply that sometimes we need more than just guns to bring us to a site.

You and the admin team do a great job of keeping the peace so to speak.  I definitely think some go over the line, but maybe a consideration should be more into the area of banning members who do nothing but cause trouble.  Or maybe have two custom streams available.  One with unread threads including politics and one without.  I suspect most use the unread feature to see what is going on and this is why they don't like it.  Just hide it for those that don't want it.

My two cents.  It doesn't really matter to me one way or the other, but I do find myself less involved with it gone. 

You stated my feelings perfectly, and much clearer than I am able to.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Whisper said:

Yeah, when we get into nude cell phone pics, it's National Enquirer territory.

Wonder how soon someone will file a public records request with TBI asking for the photos....

Cheers,

Whisper

OK...I'll be the one to say it! Do we really, really want to see nude pics of Megan? 

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

This is exactly what they mean when they talk about affairs being potential blackmail material.  

That he took the pictures without her knowledge and transferred them to another device means he thought he might need them later.  

“Clocked in for overtime” is a pretty good euphemism.  

• Like 4
8 hours ago, MacGyver said:

That he took the pictures without her knowledge and transferred them to another device means he thought he might need them later.   

Yep.  This whole thing gets more sordid every day.

Does anyone know if the mayor's husband and the bodyguard's wife have left them or filed for divorce over this event?  I've not seen any mention of them lately, although I've not followed every news report.  This story about the secret cell phone pics probably has created some uncomfortable conversations at the two homes....

1 hour ago, Whisper said:

Yep.  This whole thing gets more sordid every day.

Does anyone know if the mayor's husband and the bodyguard's wife have left them or filed for divorce over this event?  I've not seen any mention of them lately, although I've not followed every news report.  This story about the secret cell phone pics probably has created some uncomfortable conversations at the two homes....

I saw a story that said the Mayor and her husband were trying to work things out. The wife of the Officer is referring questions to her attorney.

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

I, for one, am thrilled this B----- got what she had coming. Affairs & felonies aside, she is another Hilary Clinton. Huge ego, power mad, on & on.

Thankful I do not live anywhere near Nashville.

JMHO

If you stole $10,000 from the city what do you think your penalty would be?

1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

As a Memphian, I can’t help but smile a little. Sure, we’ve had some crooks running the joint, but at least ours don’t get caught while in office. 

Prince Mongo for Mayor!

Spirits, his time is come.  Jerry Lawler needs a position as well.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SWJewellTN said:

All the peasants would have 3 squares and a cot at the iron bar inn...

And this witch gets off basically with a bit less than slap on the wrist...

Grrr :censored:...these politicians that continually get off with basically nothing for criminal acts pisses me off to no end..

Edited by Someotherguy
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, SWJewellTN said:

Several yrs in the state lockup, but then, I'm not the one with the golden political spoon in my mouth. Had she not taken the plea deal, all this would have went to "discovery" & ended up in public record for all to see. Neither side really wanted that, so....... ( I cannot see myself requesting the nude pics of Megan Barry, even for a garden scarecrow ).