Nashville council may probe whether mayor's affair was 'on taxpayers' dime'

11 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

Several yrs in the state lockup, but then, I'm not the one with the golden political spoon in my mouth. Had she not taken the plea deal, all this would have went to "discovery" & ended up in public record for all to see. Neither side really wanted that, so....... ( I cannot see myself requesting the nude pics of Megan Barry, even for a garden scarecrow ).

I'm sure some here might want to see them...after all we embraced the pics of The Kentucky Conan and his woman a few years back! lol 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Wow… this went from nothing to a plea deal pretty fast. I didn’t even know she had been accused of a crime; much less charged. Be interesting to hear the final story.

My gut is telling me that with the speed of the plea and resignation there was a lot more on hand or being developed from the investigation.  They may well have gone to her with this deal and told her it's a one time offer to get her out of the way so Nashville can move on.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, btq96r said:

My gut is telling me that with the speed of the plea and resignation there was a lot more on hand or being developed from the investigation.  They may well have gone to her with this deal and told her it's a one time offer to get her out of the way so Nashville can move on.

Don't read too much into it.  Glen Funk saw a chance to bury her, and used everything he could to do it. 

Glen Funk certainly played a major role, plus I am guessing that the left-wing money people told her it was time to step aside.  She still needs the left-wing money people for her comeback campaign in 2021, so she will continue to do their bidding.  I am confident that planning for her redemption tour is already underway -- she'll get appointed to some appropriately progressive volunteer citizen councils, she'll do volunteer work for the appropriate leftist causes, and in three years she'll be back seeking office again.

• Admin Team
10 minutes ago, Whisper said:

Glen Funk certainly played a major role, plus I am guessing that the left-wing money people told her it was time to step aside.  She still needs the left-wing money people for her comeback campaign in 2021, so she will continue to do their bidding.  I am confident that planning for her redemption tour is already underway -- she'll get appointed to some appropriately progressive volunteer citizen councils, she'll do volunteer work for the appropriate leftist causes, and in three years she'll be back seeking office again.

Seeing the expungement agreement as a part of her plea deal yesterday definitely made me think we’ve not seen the last of her.  

I hope I’m wrong about that.  

The affair is really between her and her husband at this point.  While I hope they’ll seek counseling or whatever they feel is appropriate, I’ll extend some grace there.  

The breach of public trust, misuse of the office for her own gain, corruption, and theft of public funds should prevent her from ever holding office again.  

• Like 1
16 hours ago, SWJewellTN said:

If you stole $10,000 from the city what do you think your penalty would be?

Not exactly the same but we had a lady embezzle $60K from a business. She stole it $500 at a time on gift cards and had been doing it for quite some time.

She was given 3 years unsupervised probation and an order to pay restitution. She went back to the courts stating she could not work and they waived her order to pay restitution.

The courts are no longer about justice.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

The breach of public trust, misuse of the office for her own gain, corruption, and theft of public funds should prevent her from ever holding office again.  

That is seen as resume fodder for the typical democratic criminal in office. Now they KNOW she can handle some heat.

8 minutes ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

That is seen as resume fodder for the typical democratic criminal in office. Now they KNOW she can handle some heat.

I would argue that neither party is immune from scandal. We like to pretend that one is better than the other but the facts really don't support that. 

"A Kentucky lawmaker accused of sexually assaulting a teenage girl in 2013 killed himself Wednesday, officials say, a day after he denied the allegations. Republican state Rep. Dan Johnson, 57, was found dead of a single gunshot wound near Mount Washington, Bullitt County Coroner Dave Billings said."

https://www.cnn.com/2017/12/14/us/kentucky-state-lawmaker-death/index.html

And again,

"A former Idaho lawmaker shot and killed himself Tuesday morning, three months after he abruptly resigned from the State House after a criminal investigation into alleged sexual abuse emerged."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/01/09/a-former-idaho-lawmaker-shot-and-killed-himself-amid-a-sexual-abuse-investigation/?utm_term=.3cfde14d0ec2

50 minutes ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

Not exactly the same but we had a lady embezzle $60K from a business. She stole it $500 at a time on gift cards and had been doing it for quite some time.

She was given 3 years unsupervised probation and an order to pay restitution. She went back to the courts stating she could not work and they waived her order to pay restitution.

The courts are no longer about justice.

In my experience the courts have NEVER been about justice. We have a legal system; not a justice system.

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I would argue that neither party is immune from scandal. We like to pretend that one is better than the other but the facts really don't support that. 

True.  Another good example:  SC Governor Mark Sanford, a Republican, who disappeared for six days in 2009 and was not reachable by phone.  His staff claimed he was "hiking the Appalachian Trail," but when he returned on a plane flight from Argentina, it was revealed he had been putting the pork to a female journalist there.  (Sanford was married at the time.)   His wife divorced him, and the legislature drew up articles of impeachment but did not actually expel him from office, and he left in disgrace at the end of his term.  Two years later he ran successfully for Congress, and he's still in office today.

I agree with earlier comments suggesting that any politician's relationship with his or her spouse is their personal business, but I would argue that, for an elected official, dishonesty in personal life can legitimately raise questions of trustworthiness by the general public.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Whisper said:

I agree with earlier comments suggesting that any politician's relationship with his or her spouse is their personal business, but I would argue that, for an elected official, dishonesty in personal life can legitimately raise questions of trustworthiness by the general public.

Be sure to read my Stormy Daniels thread. ;)

2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

"A Kentucky lawmaker accused of sexually assaulting a teenage girl in 2013 killed himself Wednesday, officials say, a day after he denied the allegations. Republican state Rep. Dan Johnson, 57, was found dead of a single gunshot wound near Mount Washington, Bullitt County Coroner Dave Billings said."

https://www.cnn.com/2017/12/14/us/kentucky-state-lawmaker-death/index.html

And again,

"A former Idaho lawmaker shot and killed himself Tuesday morning, three months after he abruptly resigned from the State House after a criminal investigation into alleged sexual abuse emerged."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/01/09/a-former-idaho-lawmaker-shot-and-killed-himself-amid-a-sexual-abuse-investigation/?utm_term=.3cfde14d0ec2

True but the left has far more scandals than the right. 

• Admin Team

Either party being too comfortable in power seems to create an environment that's ripe for corruption.

Simply look at the number of GOP congressmen in heavily gerrymandered districts that are "retiring" this year. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Whisper said:

Ross Perot had a saying concerning employees what worked for him, paraphrased, "If his wife can't trust him, neither can I"

• Like 2