The Return of The Swamp

TGO David

• Administrator

Today, I am re-opening The Swamp political forum.  

I have no problem admitting when I am wrong about things.  I was perhaps wrong to completely remove non-specific politics from TGO since it is something that many of you care deeply about and since politics are so interwoven with our lives, especially as gun owners. 

If you don't want to read about politics, simply avoid that forum.  That is how I will handle it for myself and I hope you will do the same.

This forum will be different in a few ways:

1. Only Benefactor Members can post a thread or a reply.  Anyone can read them but if you want to contribute you're going to have to show us that you are investing something back into the TGO community and aren't just here to stir the political pot.

2. The forum will be password protected.  The password will be "I AGREE" which will be a reminder of the fact that you wanted access and agree to conduct yourself in accordance with TGO's rules.  If you're going to wallow in the mud, you can't complain later about getting dirty.

3. Because it is password protected, I don't think it will show up in the New Posts activity search.  You may have to set up your own Activity Stream to follow that forum if you care about it.

4. If the crux of your thread is could be construed as "hate speech" against a group of people purely on the basis of them being in that group (whether race, gender, sexual inclination, political party affiliation, etc.) you should think hard before posting it.  Ask yourself if there is any value in- or hope of- exploring the topic in a civilized manner that moves the ball down the field.  If there isn't and your thread will just fan the flames of ignorance, bias or bigotry... we're going to hold you accountable for it.

So, why the change of heart?

I've been listening.  You guys have made it clear that localized discussion of politics is important to you.  When I considered it, the reason why was almost too obvious.

Politics and gun ownership in any country on this planet are inextricably linked.  Politics, gun ownership, and the politics of gun ownership are in fact reasons that this country even exists.  Our founding fathers had a different opinion on how men should be governed than did the King, and one of the King's early efforts to shove them back into line was to try and confiscate all of their firearms.  The rest is history.

While I hope that the majority of politics discussed on TGO relate to the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, it is impossible for me to ignore that people who are passionate enough about their own liberty and safety to own, train with, and license themselves for carry of a gun are going to be prone to talk and want to be involved in all political things.  We are, by our very nature, an active group of people.  There is a switch within us that has been thrown and refuses to let us just watch events unfold in the political arena without throwing a red flag on the field when we see foul play.

The moderating team is still going to pay attention and make sure that discussions about politics don't become divisive and poisonous to the cause of uniting gun owners.   Let's make their job easy and not let it turn into that.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Well done. To be intelligently human and opinionated is one of the things that make us what we are. I'd like to think those of us here are intelligent enough to back away from the abyss of stupidity, or at least apologize for our lack of decorum. If not there's always the ban hammer or a little vacation.

Let's see how quickly I'm proven wrong.....

• Like 3
  • Authorized Vendor
7 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Well done. To be intelligently human and opinionated is one of the things that make us what we are. I'd like to think those of us here are intelligent enough to back away from the abyss of stupidity, or at least apologize for our lack of decorum. If not there's always the ban hammer or a little vacation.

Let's see how quickly I'm proven wrong.....

Is there an over and under?

• Like 3

While I try not to be overtly political in vocal or written commentary, and usually succeed...under threat of pain from my wife; I do think you made the right decision David.

Whether or not we all can get along is another matter.

There are just so many very strong minded individuals here it might be very difficult.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Raoul said:

My password doesn't allow access. This is just getting to be too Damn tedious and not worth the effort.

Please read the instructions on the forum and posted elsewhere in the first post of this thread.  The password isn't your password, it is "I AGREE" in all caps.

Participation in The Swamp is going to require some effort even once you're in there.  Empty rhetoric without any facts backing it up isn't going to work.  That's going to require some attention to details - so if the password already bit you, and I say this respectfully, you probably need to slow down a little.