Quicken Premier 5/years free

Sam1

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

I'm done with Quicken. I'm tired of paying $100, or so, to get their software, only to find that in about a year or two an update intentionally breaks things like the ability to download bank statements. Then they tell you if you want to continue to be able to download from banks, you need to buy the latest upgrade. Nothing has changed on my bank's side, it's all about them wanting to get money for an update. It's infuriating. And, their updated software adds nothing of value to me. All I want is something that can go out and download all my various account info and present it in one program. This basic functionality is all I need, and if they didn't cripple it, quicken 2005 would probably still work for me.

Their latest scheme is to now go to a subscription model, where you pay yearly, and always have the latest updates. Problem is, the yearly subscription is as much as the upgrade was. Where before I could shell out $100 every two or three years until they crippled that version, now I have to do that every year just to keep it going.

Not to mention, I am always troubleshooting why it won't update my accounts properly. I had years of data in my file that I had to abandon Jan 2017, just because I could no longer get consistent account updates, and the file was so slow it was nearly unusable. Here I am a year later, and already my file is doing the same thing. 

I recently started using Personal Capital. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of Quicken, but you can't beat the price of FREE. It does mostly what I want... gets all my account balances and displays them in one screen. In fact, in some ways it does a better job, as it was able to go get my mortgage balance, where Quicken could not. The only thing it won't do that Quicken did was allow me to reconcile my bank statement, and do some of the Landlording stuff.

Personal Capital is an online only program. Everything is done from a web page. I was skeptical about entering all my account info onto some web page located who knows where, but then I realized Quicken took all my info to the cloud anyway when it was syncing. Just install the Quicken phone app and sync to your account, and what do you know, there is all your data. So it's all out there anyway. PC is also a little more adsy... they are always trying to get you to call in and talk to a financial guy. That is where they make their money, so I get that. If you ignore the alerts you can just drive on and use the software.