If I Only Had One Concealed Carry...

cybernorris

If budget or some other constraints were to lock you into only having a single carry gun, what would it be?

Right now I'm leaning toward the Glock 26 ... more capacity (10) than a single stack, but still concealable in the summer.

What's your opinion on this subject?

• Like 1

Not a bad choice, I'd pick a S&W M&P 9 compact, or a Glock 19, or similar. Not much harder to conceal but much easier to shoot.

Things to consider here are what is your likely defensive situation. Those that work late shifts in rougher areas have different needs than someone that works in a mall, etc. What's your daily dress as it changes concealment, etc...

All that said there are reasons a 15 shot 9mm is so popular.

If budget or some other constraints were to lock you into only having a single carry gun, what would it be? Right now I'm leaning toward the Glock 26 ... more capacity (10) than a single stack, but still concealable in the summer. What's your opinion on this subject?        

Well, I'm personally split three ways. The Glock 26 Gen 3 is a fine CCW. But up there with it, in my opinion, are the Taurus PT-111 G2 and the S&W M&P Shield (with Apex upgrade).

However, I personally own a S&W SD9VE with upgraded sights, springs, trigger, takedown, 20 lb. SS Guide Rod, metal slide backplate, grip wrap, and mirror polished internal metal. It performs excellently and I would trust my life on it. Total investment: $400 and six hours of my time. At the range this weekend I shot a 1.5" grouping at 15', a 2" grouping at 25', and a 3" grouping at 50'. Oh, this is the first time I've been shooting in 12 years.

• Like 1

642. It’s all I carry regardless, I’m not much for playing musical carry guns. [emoji38] Same gun, same place, every time. Muscle memory is a powerful thing and I don’t want to be fumbling around trying to remember where or what my carry weapon is should I need it.

• Like 2

I rotate between a G23 and an XD Sub, both in .40, but if I had to go to one, my G23 would win out.  It's been with me for around 25-30 years, wears night sights and a laser and I can engage targets well at SD ranges night and day.

A slightly upgraded CZ 75B Omega here, have the compact version in a P01 which doesn't conceal better (for me) than the full size.

Have a 19 cut down to a 26, meh. Only benefit here is 10 - 33 round mag compatibility.

In my personal experience, a 4" or shorter grip enters the realm of deep(er) concealment.

That's a tough one. I usually carry either an FNS9c or my LCR .357. Sometimes both. The LCR might get the nod just because it's good for pocket carry or IWB. Haven't found a pocket holster yet that doesn't come out of the pocket with the FNS when trying to draw.

16 hours ago, 56FordGuy said:

642. It’s all I carry regardless, I’m not much for playing musical carry guns. emoji38.png Same gun, same place, every time. Muscle memory is a powerful thing and I don’t want to be fumbling around trying to remember where or what my carry weapon is should I need it.

Along those lines I would probably go with a five shot snubbie .357.  Although I occasionally carry something else, similar to 56FordGuy my 642 is what I carry 98% of the time I can carry and has been since I got it a few years back.  However, when I go camping, etc. I like to have something with a little more 'oomph'.  Right now that is usually either my GP100 or my Taurus Tracker in .44 Mag. but if forced to go with only one for everything I'd want a snubbie and would choose .357.  For an 'everything' carry handgun I simply believe that the .38/.357 is just about the most versatile caliber that is commonly available.  I wouldn't want an Airweight in .357 so I'd probably look at something like an SP101 (would kind of like to have one of those, anyhow.)  I have fired and even carried an SP101 that a friend let me borrow for the purpose of trying that out.  Being heavier it didn't pocket carry as easily as the 642 but for a 'one gun' it would be doable and I would probably get used to the extra weight.  I'd carry .38+P in town and full-house .357 in the woods.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2

If I was forced to carry my G19 the rest of my life I'd be fine with that. There are probably better options but this one always works for me. 

I'd like to get my hands on the CZ P10c but they can't seem to produce enough. I've yet to even see one in person. 

Well, considering I am pretty limited to hand guns and all of them are Bersa's I'm guessing my everyday carry is mostly my Model 85 w/14+1 magazine. It is slightly bulkier than the Bersa Thunder 7+1 magazine but since these days when I do go out I am normally dressed in loose confortable clothing which does a great job of keeping the 85 out of sight unless needed. I also have another 14 round mag in cell phone case on belt clip. I carry it 90% of the time but will pack a Thunder w/2 back up mags for quick trips to drive up windows to pick up stuff..................:cheers:

33 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Well, considering I am pretty limited to hand guns and all of them are Bersa's I'm guessing my everyday carry is mostly my Model 85 w/14+1 magazine. It is slightly bulkier than the Bersa Thunder 7+1 magazine but since these days when I do go out I am normally dressed in loose confortable clothing which does a great job of keeping the 85 out of sight unless needed. I also have another 14 round mag in cell phone case on belt clip. I carry it 90% of the time but will pack a Thunder w/2 back up mags for quick trips to drive up windows to pick up stuff..................:cheers:

I just recommended a thunder to a friend based on what you have posted here in the past. He went and shot one and bought one on the spot. Fits his needs perfectly. 

Shows that everyone has different circumstances. Most important thing is to pick something you WILL carry.

• Like 5