If I Only Had One Concealed Carry...

cybernorris

15 hours ago, Sidecarist said:

I just recommended a thunder to a friend based on what you have posted here in the past. He went and shot one and bought one on the spot. Fits his needs perfectly. 

Shows that everyone has different circumstances. Most important thing is to pick something you WILL carry.

Glad your friend liked the Bersa and it fit his needs. I don't walk to my mailbox out at the road without my Thunder!!!!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Steelharp said:

While I would never part with my 19, I have to admit the one that makes it to my hip 95% of the time is my Shield .45. Just hard to beat. Thin, 8 rounds, a great carry .45.

My Performance Center Shield works for me as well. But I sure wish I'd gotten one of the 45 models when they were so cheap a few months back.

As I attempt to lose some weight before knee surgery this year, I find myself looking at some other things for carry. Maybe the P10c, it's a possibility.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your responses. I find it interesting the number of .380 answers in here as I currently have a LCP and the wife has a Ruger RM 380 (couldn’t pass the Black Friday and rebate combination).  

My first handgun training was on the M9 (Army) and had a 92F back 89-90.

Will probably go G19 next, but may look at other options as well, so definitely keep the opinions coming. 

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:36 AM, hipower said:

My Performance Center Shield works for me as well. But I sure wish I'd gotten one of the 45 models when they were so cheap a few months back.

As I attempt to lose some weight before knee surgery this year, I find myself looking at some other things for carry. Maybe the P10c, it's a possibility.

My 9mm PC Shield would be my first choice for carry although if I could only own one pistol is would be a 1911.

• Like 1

Bersaguy, funny you mentioned going to the Mail box. I had a scary incident, about 3 years ago, while going to the mail box. Three druggies got between me and my house(100 yards from road) and I almost had to draw my pocket carried revolver on them. One of them told the other, who was bearing down on me, "Come on Bobby, it ain't worth getting shot over." By that time I had squared up and  put my hand in my pocket and partially unholstered my EDC. In a commanding voice, I put my hand up and told the lead guy he had better stop and go back to his truck. His buddy stopped and the lead guy looked back and finally stopped, when he seen he had no backup. The 3rd guy was laughing hysterically, probably out of his mind on drugs, while sitting back in their ratty old truck. 

They went farther down the road and beat my neighbor, who was doing the same thing(mail box). My neighbor  was legally blind, but had very little sight. He was 87 and his big thrill was walking and getting his mail.  They beat the life out of him, and robbed him. He died 3 weeks later, and his son said he never really recovered from the beating he took.

Going to the box can get one in serious trouble, sometimes.

If I only had one gun it would be my Taurus mdl 617 7 shot 357/38 revolver. Easy to pocket carry, holds 7 rounds, and one can get ammo for it anywhere.   

10 hours ago, pop pop said:

Bersaguy, funny you mentioned going to the Mail box. I had a scary incident, about 3 years ago, while going to the mail box. Three druggies got between me and my house(100 yards from road) and I almost had to draw my pocket carried revolver on them. One of them told the other, who was bearing down on me, "Come on Bobby, it ain't worth getting shot over." By that time I had squared up and  put my hand in my pocket and partially unholstered my EDC. In a commanding voice, I put my hand up and told the lead guy he had better stop and go back to his truck. His buddy stopped and the lead guy looked back and finally stopped, when he seen he had no backup. The 3rd guy was laughing hysterically, probably out of his mind on drugs, while sitting back in their ratty old truck. 

They went farther down the road and beat my neighbor, who was doing the same thing(mail box). My neighbor  was legally blind, but had very little sight. He was 87 and his big thrill was walking and getting his mail.  They beat the life out of him, and robbed him. He died 3 weeks later, and his son said he never really recovered from the beating he took.

Going to the box can get one in serious trouble, sometimes.

If I only had one gun it would be my Taurus mdl 617 7 shot 357/38 revolver. Easy to pocket carry, holds 7 rounds, and one can get ammo for it anywhere.   

Sorry to hear about your neighbor and what happen to him. It is about 50 yards to my mailbox from the house but for the last couple years there has been a gang of punks riding the streets looking for vulnerable people cutting grass, raking leaves or other odd jobs out side and they have been robbed at knifepoint. No one has seen a gun yet, always a knife or two. They beat up one guy for calling them punks and robbed him. They have a couple different vehicles they cruise around it so you have to be on your toes. I thought at one point they were going to try me because we have 3 driveways coming in to the triplex and they pulled in 1 driveway over and doors came open and I turned and squared on them with hand on Bersa under windbreaker in holster and all at once horn blew they stopped, got back in the Old Olds Cutless and drove away where I could not get a tag number. It was sure gonna get messy if they had brought knives to a gun fight.  I look for them to come back in the Spring as they have the last 3 years. I'm also waiting for them to step up to guns from Knives.......JMHO 

17 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Sorry to hear about your neighbor and what happen to him. It is about 50 yards to my mailbox from the house but for the last couple years there has been a gang of punks riding the streets looking for vulnerable people cutting grass, raking leaves or other odd jobs out side and they have been robbed at knifepoint. No one has seen a gun yet, always a knife or two. They beat up one guy for calling them punks and robbed him. They have a couple different vehicles they cruise around it so you have to be on your toes. I thought at one point they were going to try me because we have 3 driveways coming in to the triplex and they pulled in 1 driveway over and doors came open and I turned and squared on them with hand on Bersa under windbreaker in holster and all at once horn blew they stopped, got back in the Old Olds Cutless and drove away where I could not get a tag number. It was sure gonna get messy if they had brought knives to a gun fight.  I look for them to come back in the Spring as they have the last 3 years. I'm also waiting for them to step up to guns from Knives.......JMHO 

We can hope that they are smarter than that, or that they're already in prison. 

33 minutes ago, Sidecarist said:

We can hope that they are smarter than that, or that they're already in prison. 

I don't know buddy but I do know one thing and that is they had someone watching over them cause I was getting ready to sending hot lead down wind soon as I saw the first weapon be a knife or a gun and  just so happened that day I had the 85 and not the Thunder so had double stack 14 +1 with me in my hand and not 6+1. Thing is I don't think any of them were much over 12 or 13 years old except maybe to driver cause he had face hair but the rest of these where children!!! It would not have made me think any different about my actions to defend myself but I am sure these were just kids!!!!

I would take my Smith and Wesson model 36 3" with the square butt grip.  I can yank that little smoke wagon and put two rounds in you before you can clear the holster with that Glock 19. 

OK I'm just trash talking. For me, the model 36 is that fastest handgun I own to draw and fire two aimed shots, but I ain't Wild Bill Hickok. ;)

7372212_01_smith_and_wesson_model_36_3_n

s&w.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Will Carry said:

I would take my Smith and Wesson model 36 3" with the square butt grip.  I can yank that little smoke wagon and put two rounds in you before you can clear the holster with that Glock 19. 

OK I'm just trash talking. For me, the model 36 is that fastest handgun I own to draw and fire two aimed shots, but I ain't Wild Bill Hickok. ;)

7372212_01_smith_and_wesson_model_36_3_n

s&w.jpg

I love my Model 36 snubbie. I rarely carry either of my J Frames. Still have lots of affection. At one time, it was THE gun to conceal.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

If I could only have one, it would be a G19. I carry my G43 90% of the time, but if I had to make a choice, I’d keep (and carry) the G19. I’ve used my G19 in 3gun before and for concealed carry, and It’s proven it’s usefulness as a fighting and/or carry gun to me.

The G26 with G19 mags is not a bad choice either.