If I Only Had One Concealed Carry...

cybernorris

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:56 PM, MPGlock said:

+1 on the g19. I actually sold my g26 as after I got my 19, found myself rarely carrying the 26. The 19 is the best of all worlds out there at the moment IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Far from being my favorite 9, but have to agree on the 19. It's just got so many things going for it that it's hard not to think of it in the top echelons of carry guns. Having said that...I'll most likely have my Shield and a spare mag or three with me most.

Now...all my opinions aside, MRSpivey has it right. Whatever works for you.

I have some Smith wheelies that I love. Some my Dad's, some I've acquired over the years.

As indicated, I have Glocks, Smiths, Walthers, CZs, and a few Sigs thrown in for good measure. Even a Tauri or 2. lol

My house gun(s) tend to be whatever I shoot easily enough that I can pick up and know what to do without fiddling around with buttons and levers. For me, that tends to be the G19 and a couple of Springfield SC9's.

I bought the first SC9 many moons ago and had a CT Grip put on. Old and still functional. I change the battery(thanks to CT's Lifetime Battery deal) every year. The second, I traded into from a member here. Both are in convenient locations for easy access, but well hidden from sight.

I'm not particularly great with any one of these, but I can use, fairly well I think, all of them.

But picking an absolute is an exercise in futility for me.

If I could keep only a few, I would probably have to go with Dad's K frame 38/357. Best all round gun I've ever shot.

Not the best carry for me, but it can be done.

Sorry, sort of wound up this morning.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I prefer my 9 mm M&P Shield for CC.  8 rd mag +1 in the tube =9 rds.   I usually include an extra mag when we are out & about locally. If I can't stop an aggressive action against me with 17 rds , I wear sneakers so I can exit the area rapidly. ( LOL )..  I'm not in a neighborhood that has any crime to mention. BUT since I'm a retired LEO and maybe a little paranoid , I  usually carry a  5 rd .38 Revolver  in my pocket as an 'insurance policy' while I'm in the house or doing some chores around the yard..  I like the warm, cuddly feeling I have when I know I can defend myself or family if the occasion ever arises.  

2 hours ago, tercel89 said:

Glock 26. It can use its flush fitting 10 rd magazine , the 17 rd G17 mag , the 15 rd G19 mag , and the 33rd G18 mag.  The Glock 26 is my most carried and versatile Glock.

I already cast my vote for the 19. I own five other Glocks as well. But, I'll own a 26 as well. On my short list.

I’ll throw in my M&P 2.0 compact into the ring with a stipulation.

With the factory stippling texture in place it was terrible to carry IWB. After sanding it down with 150 grit followed by 1000 grit it is much better. Add the Apex FSS and flat trigger and it’s amazing. Pretty much Glock 19 size. A tad heavier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 5:56 PM, Sidecarist said:

I just recommended a thunder to a friend based on what you have posted here in the past. He went and shot one and bought one on the spot. Fits his needs perfectly. 

Shows that everyone has different circumstances. Most important thing is to pick something you WILL carry.

I realize a lot of folks don't think a 380 is enough gun to do the job. Practice with the gun till your as good as you can get, use the right ammo and put the first 2 rounds where they need to be and I would trust a 380 as much as any caliber I could possibly want to carry.......JMHO

On 2/5/2018 at 8:23 PM, cybernorris said:

If budget or some other constraints were to lock you into only having a single carry gun, what would it be?

Right now I'm leaning toward the Glock 26 ... more capacity (10) than a single stack, but still concealable in the summer.

What's your opinion on this subject?

I own a G43, G19 and G26, and like them all. Personally, with everything that is occurring I lean to carrying my G19 because of the extra ammunition. But I do carry the G34 or G26 to church for easier concealment. I was amazed at the attitude everyone has at our Baptist church and who carries, even the preacher. I also never want to think to myself, I wish I had thrown an extra full magazine in my pocket. 

Lots of great carry guns out there to choose from. Good luck.

On 2/6/2018 at 2:32 PM, JAB said:

Along those lines I would probably go with a five shot snubbie .357.  Although I occasionally carry something else, similar to 56FordGuy my 642 is what I carry 98% of the time I can carry and has been since I got it a few years back.  However, when I go camping, etc. I like to have something with a little more 'oomph'.  Right now that is usually either my GP100 or my Taurus Tracker in .44 Mag. but if forced to go with only one for everything I'd want a snubbie and would choose .357.  For an 'everything' carry handgun I simply believe that the .38/.357 is just about the most versatile caliber that is commonly available.  I wouldn't want an Airweight in .357 so I'd probably look at something like an SP101 (would kind of like to have one of those, anyhow.)  I have fired and even carried an SP101 that a friend let me borrow for the purpose of trying that out.  Being heavier it didn't pocket carry as easily as the 642 but for a 'one gun' it would be doable and I would probably get used to the extra weight.  I'd carry .38+P in town and full-house .357 in the woods.

I discovered something interesting a couple of days ago that gives me pause. I won't go into all the guns I own and shoot, but... My house gun is a S&W 686 plus .357 mag. Went to the range to run a few rounds through it along with a couple of other pistols. I'm normally a pretty accurate shooter especially when I'm by myself and no match pressures. 

For accuracy I normally just plink my revolver in single action mode for best results. This time out I thought I'd see how I'd do in home self defense mode shooting double action. Let's just say one of my 9mm pistols is going back on the night stand. There's no doubt in my mind if I had to use it inside my home it would be double action, and I was all over the target at the range. I only have 50 rounds through it, maybe the trigger will lighten up with use?

Well, I’m going to have to retract my earlier statement of carrying my LCP.  I just picked up a Shield EZ and I love it.  I’ve got some Underwood +P 90grain on the way for it and it fits great in my Alien Gear IWB holster I have for my 9c 2.0. So this just might replace the LCP unless my wife sees it and decides it’s hers.  Then I’ll have to get another one.

On 3/23/2018 at 6:36 PM, Dennis1209 said:

I discovered something interesting a couple of days ago that gives me pause. I won't go into all the guns I own and shoot, but... My house gun is a S&W 686 plus .357 mag. Went to the range to run a few rounds through it along with a couple of other pistols. I'm normally a pretty accurate shooter especially when I'm by myself and no match pressures. 

For accuracy I normally just plink my revolver in single action mode for best results. This time out I thought I'd see how I'd do in home self defense mode shooting double action. Let's just say one of my 9mm pistols is going back on the night stand. There's no doubt in my mind if I had to use it inside my home it would be double action, and I was all over the target at the range. I only have 50 rounds through it, maybe the trigger will lighten up with use?

That is certainly a consideration.  As for me, I have always been more of a 'revolver guy' and even in semiautos I prefer DAO or DA/SA so I am pretty well accustomed to the long, somewhat stiff trigger pull.  I don't like striker fired pistols for carry (just a personal preference), don't like 'cocked and locked' and don't like manual safeties so I actually prefer a hammer fired handgun (whether external or internal hammer) and double action trigger for carry.

One thing that I might suggest is that you may want to try different grips on that 686 if the ones that are on it don't fit your hand well.  When I bought my 642 it had those abysmal, vestigial grip-like artifices that S&W puts on them at the factory.  I honestly wasn't very good with it.  Then I put some slightly larger (but still pocketable) Pachmayr grips on it that fill my hand much better and saw instant improvement in control.  The trigger pull weight and length obviously didn't change (and it has a pretty long and stiff pull which probably has lightened a little with use) but the slightly different angle and better grip made it seem like it had.  I'm not saying I could make a headshot at 50 yards with the snubbie or anything, even with the better grips, but for getting COM hits at the distances I would likely be called upon to use it I do well enough to feel completely comfortable carrying it.  With the original grips, although I did carry it some, my confidence with it wasn't nearly so high and I would still carry my P3AT a lot.  With the new grips the P3AT rarely gets carried, anymore. 

Edited by JAB
On 3/26/2018 at 11:18 AM, JAB said:

That is certainly a consideration.  As for me, I have always been more of a 'revolver guy' and even in semiautos I prefer DAO or DA/SA so I am pretty well accustomed to the long, somewhat stiff trigger pull.  I don't like striker fired pistols for carry (just a personal preference), don't like 'cocked and locked' and don't like manual safeties so I actually prefer a hammer fired handgun (whether external or internal hammer) and double action trigger for carry.

One thing that I might suggest is that you may want to try different grips on that 686 if the ones that are on it don't fit your hand well.  When I bought my 642 it had those abysmal, vestigial grip-like artifices that S&W puts on them at the factory.  I honestly wasn't very good with it.  Then I put some slightly larger (but still pocketable) Pachmayr grips on it that fill my hand much better and saw instant improvement in control.  The trigger pull weight and length obviously didn't change (and it has a pretty long and stiff pull which probably has lightened a little with use) but the slightly different angle and better grip made it seem like it had.  I'm not saying I could make a headshot at 50 yards with the snubbie or anything, even with the better grips, but for getting COM hits at the distances I would likely be called upon to use it I do well enough to feel completely comfortable carrying it.  With the original grips, although I did carry it some, my confidence with it wasn't nearly so high and I would still carry my P3AT a lot.  With the new grips the P3AT rarely gets carried, anymore. 

That's a good idea. The stock grip on that 686 isn't my idea of a well forming and comfortable grip. There is absolutely no room for a two-handed purchase, so "cupping it" is about all I can do, since my hand covers 100% of the grip. 

Last couple of other nice shiny revolvers I had I put beautiful looking wooden grips on. Sure did look 'purdy', but was like holding on to an oily handle and slipping around. Going to do something so I can at least get a piece of my support hand palm on the grip. Thanks for the advice!

Walther PPS. While I’m fond of the M&P Shield and Glock 43 type options... in the “subcompact singlestack large enough to actually fight with” competition? 

The PPS is the most shootable for me. And that’s not subjective: I shot it well enough in a USPSA match that I’ve got a Shield with night sights and some stippling I’ll have to get around to selling eventually now! :)

One of the stages from that little adventure:

https://instagram.com/p/BgnJSRllPxk/

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Walther PPS. While I’m fond of the M&P Shield and Glock 43 type options... in the “subcompact singlestack large enough to actually fight with” competition? 

The PPS is the most shootable for me. And that’s not subjective: I shot it well enough in a USPSA match that I’ve got a Shield with night sights and some stippling I’ll have to get around to selling eventually now! :)

One of the stages from that little adventure:

https://instagram.com/p/BgnJSRllPxk/

I still want to shoot that gun!

Edited by deerslayer
  • 3 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago I would have struggled with this question.  I would have been torn between the capacity of a double stack of a Sig P228 or the compactness of a Kahr CW9 (yeah, you can go smaller, but hard to go smaller with a filull sized grip in a 9mm).

However, now I own, and have shot the heck out of, a Sig P365 it is my new answer.  Holds 12 in the same size as a CW9, but shoots like a full sized service pistol.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2018 at 10:13 PM, 56FordGuy said:

642. It’s all I carry regardless, I’m not much for playing musical carry guns. [emoji38] Same gun, same place, every time. Muscle memory is a powerful thing and I don’t want to be fumbling around trying to remember where or what my carry weapon is should I need it.

I have to agree with this. I do swap between a G19 and G43 sometimes, depending on having to conceal deeper or not, but stay in the Glock family. 

If you ever get into a life or death situation, you are going to want to rely on muscle memory a lot, because your other senses are likely to be slow to react, or lead you down the wrong path.