S&W Announce New 380 Shield EZ

TGO David

I'd like to see something to give an idea of scale, too.  My gut feeling is that it is about the size of a Kel Tec PF9 - at least in length and height.  Even fans of the PF9 say that it is pretty painful to try and run more than a couple of mags through.  I don't think my P3AT is particularly painful to shoot but many folks do.  I will be interested to see if and how much the combination of a PF9 sized (maybe) pistol with the .380 caliber results in reduced felt recoil as compared to the PF9 and the P3AT (or LCP.)   I am also interested to hear if the extra length of nearly an inch in the barrel as compared to pocket guns like the P3AT (and, therefore, the Little Copied Pistol, as well) will result in gains in velocity that might produce noticeably more consistent results from .380 SD ammo when it comes to expansion and penetration, combined.  There are some rounds on the market that I believe to do okay for doing both even out of the pocket pistols.  I'm wondering if the slightly longer barrel won't yield even better/more consistent results.
My ex wife has had issues with possible arthritis and with hand strength since she was younger.  When I sat out to teach her to shoot and help her work toward getting her carry permit she had trouble racking the slide on most pistols.  She could do it using the Cornered Cat method but not smoothly - it was pretty awkward.  She also had trouble pulling the trigger on many guns, both semis and revolvers and when she did the recoil often hurt her hand (she could rack and fire my P3AT but could only stand putting about two rounds through it before the pain from the recoil became too much.)  She ended up going with a Kel Tec P32 because she could rack it, could pull the trigger and the recoil didn't hurt her hands.  My mom also went with a P32 for a carry gun because my P3AT hurt her hands, as well.  Mom also wouldn't carry the P32 with one in the chamber because it 'didn't have a safety' despite me trying to convince her that, because it was DAO it was like carrying a revolver in that aspect.  My mom is deceased and my ex wife really doesn't shoot much, anymore but I can't help but wonder how well the new M&P might have worked for either of them had it existed when they were looking for a carry gun.
No arthritis here, but I carry a P32 every day because it is easy to carry and is reliable. I owned 2 PF9s and a DB9. Not easy to shoot. Then neither is my S&W 340PD.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, hipower said:

None of these questions will be resolved until we actually get one in had. Then the buying public will make a choice yay or nay.

I'm still riding the fence on this one. But just how many pocket nines can we have to choose from? Seems the number is ever changing.

And to JAB, I owned the P3AT, the P32, and the PF9. Sold the first two sadly, should have kept them. I preferred them to the Ruger LCP.

Now as to the PF9...I absolutely hated that little bugger. JMO

I've owned all three of the above Kel-Tec pistols as well in the past. I regret trading the P-32 and while I own an LCP I'd have been just as well off to have kept the P3AT. But the PF9...oh heck no...that was the most aggravating 9mm P I've owned. It was uncomfortable to shoot and far to easy to have the mag drop out of it due to handling ergonomics. But it was very combat accurate and the few reliability issues I had were user induced. 

I have been recommending the M&P 22 for the audience this new 380 is aimed at.  Some have used the SCCY 9mm as it is a fairly easy slide to operate.  Have not been able to get my hands on the SCCY 380 which may be better yet.  This new M&P 380 may be helpful.  There are those that simply cannot operate a slide very well, then there are those that don't like the recoil of a 9 or 380, and then some have trouble with all of the above.  There is no one size fits all........which would be boring.

• 2 weeks later...
None of these questions will be resolved until we actually get one in had. Then the buying public will make a choice yay or nay.
I'm still riding the fence on this one. But just how many pocket nines can we have to choose from? Seems the number is ever changing.
And to JAB, I owned the P3AT, the P32, and the PF9. Sold the first two sadly, should have kept them. I preferred them to the Ruger LCP.
Now as to the PF9...I absolutely hated that little bugger. JMO
You were the one that got me to look at Keltec again. I too, hated the PF9. Very painful at the range and mine kept dropping the mag every two or three rounds. But then you talked about how great the little P32 was, so I found me a used Gen 1. It's now my favorite pocket gun with ball loaded!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Moped said:

You were the one that got me to look at Keltec again. I too, hated the PF9. Very painful at the range and mine kept dropping the mag every two or three rounds. But then you talked about how great the little P32 was, so I found me a used Gen 1. It's now my favorite pocket gun with ball loaded!

Wow! I actually influenced someone? Please don't let it get out. I might become famous. Sure. lol

You sure found one fast! 

Seriously though, I'm glad you like it. I don't go to gun shows anymore, or not in a long while, or I'd be looking for another. I like my little Ruger, but Isn't my favorite. But it hides well, but so does the P32.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
Wow! I actually influenced someone? Please don't let it get out. I might become famous. Sure. lol
You sure found one fast! 
Seriously though, I'm glad you like it. I don't go to gun shows anymore, or not in a long while, or I'd be looking for another. I like my little Ruger, but Isn't my favorite. But it hides well, but so does the P32.
Actually I purchased it over a year ago. :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2018 at 7:41 AM, Moped said:

You were the one that got me to look at Keltec again. I too, hated the PF9. Very painful at the range and mine kept dropping the mag every two or three rounds. 

KT's aren't for everyone. They are inexpensive but not "polished", which Ruger and to some degree SCCY took advantage of much to their success. However if you like to tinker a bit, they are well worth the effort. Back in the late 90's I qualified for my first CO CCW permit with a P-11, have carried a (polished w/upgraded trigger) PF-9 for many years, along with a P3AT as a BUG. They've been extremely reliable but they took a bit of improving to be range-worthy.

Saw one of these at (Ass-Pro) due to their stupid trigger lock policy I couldn't tell anything about it other than the slide was easy to rack, and I really wanted to check it out & so did my girlfriend. No way would I ever buy a gun from these idiots. The counter guy, appeared to be in his 20's was spouting pure nonsense at another couple trying to push the new polymer .410 revolver on them telling them she wouldn't even need to aim!

1 hour ago, Schadenfreude said:

The counter guy, appeared to be in his 20's was spouting pure nonsense at another couple trying to push the new polymer .410 revolver on them telling them she wouldn't even need to aim!

How many times have I heard, "You just need to give it an address!" :bored: