Tennessee Senate Bill 2476 - Exempting gun safes from sales tax

• Admin Team

http://nashvillepublicradio.org/post/tennessee-lawmakers-hope-set-tone-years-gun-debate-rare-show-bipartisanship

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=SB2476

Interesting "gun related" bill making its way through the senate - exempting the sale of gun safes from sales tax.  It's got support from both sides - and the NRA may sign on.

Going to be interesting to see how they define "safe". I wouldn't put it past retailers to push to include what are in reality gun cabinets to the exemption. It's arguable that they prevent gun accidents by curious kids, which is a clear intent of the bill, so I don't think I'd mind.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk. OhShoot very much likes to know when we're using Tapatalk.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, bud said:

This is non-sense. If they were legislating to provide free lockable gun cabinets to "protect the children", while I sure as heck wouldn't wanna pay for it, that would be more palatable.

Offering to save some guy with no safe who needs to lock up his guns from his kids $30 on the cheapest safe money can buy, ain't gonna cause him to go buy a safe. Because he doesn't have the $300 bucks to begin with. If he buys a lockable long gun cabinet for $150, the $15 savings isn't going to nudge him into the purchase. Irresponsible people don't all the sudden become responsible for tens of dollars.

This is a silly waste of legislators time/my tax dollars. Who lobbied for this and who's it really benefiting? NRA may sign on to help local safe retail stores sell more safes? Hooray NRA! Bold moves afoot!

Same for tax free guns and ammo. How about tax free footballs, golf clubs, knives, alarm systems for your car?

Elections are in November, this is nothing but politics.  For the Rs, an NRA vote, for the D's, a "For the children" vote.

47 minutes ago, bud said:

I get it, and i understand political posturing is a necessary part of the game. Just seems silly to me that this bs proposition is how my politicians choose to appeal to me. I guess insulted is what I'm feeling lol.

If more people start realizing these acts for what they are, and act accordingly at the voting booths then maybe we can get better laws passed, or removed (preferably).

48 minutes ago, Omega said:

If more people start realizing these acts for what they are, and act accordingly at the voting booths then maybe we can get better laws passed, or removed (preferably).

What do we do then?  Quit voting for the bubbas who change the gun laws in this state every year and vote the other way?

Here’s a thought.  Let’s try to convince elected folks that passing bills is not a measure of success.

26 minutes ago, Garufa said:

What do we do then?  Quit voting for the bubbas who change the gun laws in this state every year and vote the other way?

Here’s a thought.  Let’s try to convince elected folks that passing bills is not a measure of success.

So how do you propose we convince them?  I've written my share of reps, as I'm sure many here have as well, and yet we get inaction, and worse, active anti-gun actions to stop decent bills.